Dhamma names?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Lombardi4

Dhamma names?

Post by Lombardi4 »

Are dhamma names forbidden for lay Theravadins?

(How) can I get a dhamma name?
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Dhamma names?

Post by DNS »

I don't think so. Anagarika Dharmapala had one and he was a lay man all his life until about the last year when he ordained.

His dying words were, "may I be re-born 25 more times so that I can spread the Buddha-Dhamma." :bow: :bow: :bow:

Not sure how you could do it, but I would check with a venerable if you want a formal ceremony; perhaps in conjunction with a formal refuge ceremony.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

My impression is that it is uncommon for Theravadins to take Dhamma names unless they are ordained. However, some Western organisations do do this. But the whole thing of taking a Pali name is clearly a ('modern') post-Buddha's lifetime idea anyway. If it is inspiring to you, and doesn't cause any friction with the people you associate with, I don't see any problem.

Metta
Mike
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

I did it!

fare enough I roughly translated the meaning of my actual name and not for any real reason other than some anonimity, but I have at times found it useful (when I wasn't being as headful as I should be and noticed it myself etc) as a reminder for practice, something like a conversation David wants to say F*** Y** TOS*** and punch his lights out, Manapa would do this though!
helps keep the me on the internet the me I am off line. (for the most part)
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill