Teachings of Self Damaging Dhamma?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Ceisiwr

Teachings of Self Damaging Dhamma?

Post by Ceisiwr »

Greetings

In my eternal on going debate that im currently having :jumping: i was met with an article from a memeber of the Sangha who talks quite openly about a true Self (i wont say the name of what tradition)

The guy then basically stuck to this and, from what i can tell, it allowed him to cling more tightly at his Atman concept since he felt it was justified by, what he sees as, wise Buddhist monks

Do we think that Sangha memebers who teach in these terms actually do damage to Dhamma and to others wanting to understand Dhamma, since it seems to let people cling to some sense of Self

metta
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
tiltbillings

Re: Teachings of Self Damaging Dhamma?

Post by tiltbillings »

clw_uk wrote:Greetings

In my eternal on going debate that im currently having :jumping: i was met with an article from a memeber of the Sangha who talks quite openly about a true Self (i wont say the name of what tradition)
There is the famous and aptly named Vacchagota who has been on any number of forums supposedly arguing for a self from the Pali suttas.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

I would be interested to see this article.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

clw_uk wrote: Do we think that Sangha memebers who teach in these terms actually do damage to Dhamma and to others wanting to understand Dhamma, since it seems to let people cling to some sense of Self
Unfortunately I have heard and read some teachings from some teachers who talk of this "true self." I think it is a distortion of the teachings and does damage. Their motivation may be sincere, a sort of 'skilful means' until beginners are ready to learn about anatta. But more likely the teacher cannot or is not willing to accept/understand anatta and wants to fit their wish into the Dhamma.

In my opinion, the damage probably outweighs any 'skilful means' that might be in play.
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

clw_uk wrote:Do we think that Sangha memebers who teach in these terms actually do damage to Dhamma and to others wanting to understand Dhamma, since it seems to let people cling to some sense of Self[?]
I'll make it even simpler: people who teach in these terms do not teach Buddhism. When one teaches non-Buddhism as Buddhism they do damage to themselves and others.
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Peter wrote:
clw_uk wrote:Do we think that Sangha memebers who teach in these terms actually do damage to Dhamma and to others wanting to understand Dhamma, since it seems to let people cling to some sense of Self[?]
I'll make it even simpler: people who teach in these terms do not teach Buddhism. When one teaches non-Buddhism as Buddhism they do damage to themselves and others.
Well said!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
nomad

Post by nomad »

I can see why people in today’s world would be so quick to cling onto a sense of self. Despite the knowledge given in scripture, it can still be frightening for some people to give up their egocentric views when many have been conditioned since birth to believe that they are a separate entity that is the center of the universe. I agree, however, that it is damaging as it goes against the basic tenets of Buddhism. Do you have a link to the article?

~nomad

:sage:
"I am because we are." -Xhosa Tribal Saying
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

nomad wrote:I can see why people in today’s world would be so quick to cling onto a sense of self.
Not just people in today's world, but people in any world. The Buddha teaches that the most fundamental delusion underlying all the suffering in the world is the delusion "I am".
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
nomad

Post by nomad »

Peter wrote:
nomad wrote:I can see why people in today’s world would be so quick to cling onto a sense of self.
Not just people in today's world, but people in any world. The Buddha teaches that the most fundamental delusion underlying all the suffering in the world is the delusion "I am".
Agreed. Personally, I think it's one of the most difficult aspects of the Buddha's teachings.

~nomad

:sage:
"I am because we are." -Xhosa Tribal Saying