Metta before, during, or after vipassana?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Mojo

Metta before, during, or after vipassana?

Post by Mojo »

Do you practice metta before, during, or after vipassana? By during, I mean in a way similar to the way Bhante Vimalaramsi teaches.

Thank you.

Mojo
FatDaddy

Re: Metta before, during, or after vipassana?

Post by FatDaddy »

I routinely do it before. If I have a ling time to sit (> 1hr), I do it afterwards as well.
Happy, at rest,
may all beings be happy at heart.
Whatever beings there may be,
weak or strong, without exception,
long, large,
middling, short,
subtle, blatant,
seen & unseen,
near & far, born & seeking birth: May all beings be happy at heart.

Let no one deceive another
or despise anyone anywhere,
or through anger or irritation
wish for another to suffer.
— Sn 1.8
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

I suppose there should be another option of neither - in that I suppose some people who practice both may choose too practice them at different times of the day. I've only ever meditated once per day on a regular basis but am starting to think that twice a day might be a good option. Perhaps metta early in the day where there is less likely to be distraction and then vipassana later when I can always just take the distractions as objects of mindfulness?
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

I generally do some metta before any meditation session. It really helps calm the mind and kick starts the sense of joy. It helps for regardless of whether I'm doing insight or samatha, but probably more so with samatha.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
Ben

Post by Ben »

After, and then spontaneously during the day.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..