Controversial translations

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Digger

Controversial translations

Post by Digger »

There is a gentleman who has posted a dozen videos on youtube. He is a bit arrogant, appears from the little I've seen to be very intelligent and appears fluid in Pali. His interpretations of the original Pali texts are, in some very key concepts, very different than many of the commonly accepted modern translations.

He may be arrogent, he may be demeaning to those who follow the modern commonly accepted ways of Buddhism, but he also may be correct.

Before writing him off because he says much of what is generally accept as truth is wrong, please take a look at a few of his videos.

I've just listed 2 of his videos, there are 10 others in his list (under the name plotinus veritas).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkHREw19 ... 9533303BED

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbqTXx7m ... 9533303BED

Can anyone here that is fluid in Pali say that this gentlemans translations are wrong? I don't speak any Pali so I can't judge. I have only accepted others Pali translations into English as being correct.

If he is wrong, so be it, just another heretic rocking the boat.

But could he possibly be right?

Again I am not talking sides, just want to hear your views.
He is different. He thinks.
Assaji

Re: Controversial translations

Post by Assaji »

Hi Digger,

This gentleman's translations are indeed wrong.

Whew, it was eerie to watch his videos. I have to wind down after this and have a breath of fresh air.
Digity

Post by Digity »

I'm half way throught the first video and I'm struggling to continue. This guy is so annoying!
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Ken Wheeler. One can safely ignore.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
reflection

Post by reflection »

Haha, Tilt :jumping: nice post. And as far as I could stand the videos, also agreed. Bunch of baloney.
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

Kenneth Wheeler, ha! I would go so far as to say the guy is seriously mentally ill, completely obsessed.
He trawls the net with multiple names and engages in all sorts of dishonest practises.
Google him and you'll see.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
Digity

Post by Digity »

Okay, I googled and found a post about him. Yeah, he doesn't seem mentally sound. If I met him and he started talking to me like this I'd slowly step away from him. :D There's something off about him for sure.
PadmaPhala

Post by PadmaPhala »

athmos is from greek, anatman from sanskrit... I concur, you can safely ignore.
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Reminds me of a certain poster that used to pop up here under various pseudonyms. :thinking:
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks