Dr. Willoughby Britton interviews Leigh Brasington (video)

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
Moggalana

Dr. Willoughby Britton interviews Leigh Brasington (video)

Post by Moggalana »

Interview on Jhana practice and its limits. Enjoy!
Let it come. Let it be. Let it go.
hermitwin

Re: Dr. Willoughby Britton interviews Leigh Brasington (vide

Post by hermitwin »

thanks for posting.

why is there so much focus on the
negative emotions that arise?
i think that some people may get the idea
that meditation causes psychological problems.
this is a very common belief.
that when you meditate, you open up your
mind to attacks from demons/devil etc.

anyway, people who are afraid of or dont like
meditation will find excuses not to meditate.

and those who do like meditation n understands
what meditation is, will still meditate.
marc108

Post by marc108 »

great video, thanks for this.
hermitwin wrote: why is there so much focus on the
i think he is referring to intensive retreat style practice. intensive practice definitely changes the way the mind functions temporarily and it's possible to have some weird effects. i had to stop sitting 2 days prior to the end of my last retreat in order to re-integrate properly.
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
manas

Post by manas »

marc108 wrote:great video, thanks for this.
hermitwin wrote: why is there so much focus on the
i think he is referring to intensive retreat style practice. intensive practice definitely changes the way the mind functions temporarily and it's possible to have some weird effects. i had to stop sitting 2 days prior to the end of my last retreat in order to re-integrate properly.
It can even happen outside of retreat. Recently I had a very calm sitting, rising from which I felt so much calm and peace in my mind-and-body. The problem was, I had to drive off in the car right away, and was not (at that moment) focussed on the rest of the world out there - other cars on the road for example! Interestingly, when a car seemed to come suddenly out of nowhere (that's right, I wasn't being watchful enough), I suddenly plunged right into the moment, and almost as if in slow motion I observed my excellent reflexes avoid the collision. So yes we need to learn how, after being with 'just this body' for a time, to once again take up the diversity of the outer realm - which requires the mind to take an interest in what is going on around it in space, and not just within this body 'in and of itself!'

:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
Samma

Post by Samma »

why is there so much focus on the
Well, Dr. Willoughby Britton is a psychiatrist. So her interest seems to be more on the negative side, mental disorder, emotional turmoil, etc.
http://research.brown.edu/myresearch/Willoughby_Britton

I remember listening to Gil Fronsdal sometime answering why there seems to be so much emotional stuff and psychology in mediation communities, and the answer was similar to Brasington...you meet the people where they are. They are having issues, so you have to deal with that stuff before they can begin to meditate well. Also, I get the sense that the dhamma & mediation is rather psychologized, emotionalized, adapted to western tastes. Anyone have some articles on that topic?
Raindropz

Post by Raindropz »

Thanks for sharing the video as this helped much to pass a positive attitude towards meditation. As per my opinion we all make meditation a part of our daily routine to have a better health and mind. A regular meditation process can always keep you fresh and with positive thoughts.