Roadkill For Dinner? Montana Wants To Make It Legal Read mo

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Virgo

Roadkill For Dinner? Montana Wants To Make It Legal Read mo

Post by Virgo »

http://www.care2.com/causes/roadkill-fo ... legal.html

Personally, I support it. I live in New York State where people routinely hit deer and other animals. The law is that if you hit a deer and it dies or you suspect it will, you must to call the police. The police come, and anyone who wants to may take the animal. People do this all the time. A 180 pound buck usually yields about 72 pounds of meat. That is a lot of meat that can feed people without anyone having to intentionally hunt or kill an animal.

Montana also has large elk and moose populations. So each one hit currently is hundreds of pounds of meat that could feed people just wasted. What a shame.

Kevin
Mojo

Re: Roadkill For Dinner? Montana Wants To Make It Legal Rea

Post by Mojo »

Seems like a good idea.
yawares

Post by yawares »

Virgo wrote:http://www.care2.com/causes/roadkill-fo ... legal.html

Personally, I support it. I live in New York State where people routinely hit deer and other animals. The law is that if you hit a deer and it dies or you suspect it will, you must to call the police. The police come, and anyone who wants to may take the animal. People do this all the time. A 180 pound buck usually yields about 72 pounds of meat. That is a lot of meat that can feed people without anyone having to intentionally hunt or kill an animal.

Montana also has large elk and moose populations. So each one hit currently is hundreds of pounds of meat that could feed people just wasted. What a shame.

Kevin
Dear Kevin,

Oh...I can't eat that kind of meat...never..never :thinking:

yawares
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

Round here some people eat pheasant when it is accidentally killed. Sounds like a good idea imo.
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

yawares wrote: Oh...I can't eat that kind of meat...never..never :thinking:

yawares
Hi Yawares. Generally, we are not talking about small game, such as squirrels, etc., but large game like deer, moose, elk, antilopes, etc. In many cases one animal can provide the meat portion for hundreds of meals. Do you think that should be left to rot? A bull moose may provide 300, or in some cases even over 500 pounds of meat. Do you know how many meals that is? Meals that no one has to intentionally kill an animal for? Lots!

Have a great day. :D

Kevin
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Coyote wrote:Round here some people eat pheasant when it is accidentally killed. Sounds like a good idea imo.
You know birds didn't even cross my mind, I am sure they also have wild turkeys in Montana too that become roadkill.

Kevin
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

OK for your local monastic community, too...
"One should not knowingly consume meat killed on purpose (for a bhikkhu). Whoever should consume it: an offense of wrong doing. I allow fish and meat that is pure in three respects: One has not seen, heard, or suspected (that it was killed on purpose for a bhikkhu)." — Mv.VI.31.14
...providing, of course, that the driver did all they could to avoid the animal!

In my case, I have been vegetarian for so long that a physical squeamishness seems to have replaced the original rational desire to spare animals suffering. I might see the benefit, but I don't think I could do it.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

I am a vegetarian, but I find this to be a good idea. There is definitely no intention of killing (as long it wasn't hit on-purpose), no factory farming, none of the breeding or anti-biotic fed animal issues; basically an 'organic' meat. I think it is a good idea, for those who like the taste of meat.
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

Virgo wrote:
Coyote wrote:Round here some people eat pheasant when it is accidentally killed. Sounds like a good idea imo.
You know birds didn't even cross my mind, I am sure they also have wild turkeys in Montana too that become roadkill.

Kevin
I think it is quite common in rural areas in the UK, to the point where they are "accidentally" killed on purpose. Of course, we don't have that many deer, and the sheep and cows are owned by farmers.
I certainly wouldn't mind eating roadkill, whether it was a bird or something larger.
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

No point in letting the poor animal's body go to waste.
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
yawares

Post by yawares »

Virgo wrote:
yawares wrote: Oh...I can't eat that kind of meat...never..never :thinking:

yawares
Hi Yawares. Generally, we are not talking about small game, such as squirrels, etc., but large game like deer, moose, elk, antilopes, etc. In many cases one animal can provide the meat portion for hundreds of meals. Do you think that should be left to rot? A bull moose may provide 300, or in some cases even over 500 pounds of meat. Do you know how many meals that is? Meals that no one has to intentionally kill an animal for? Lots!

Have a great day. :D

Kevin
Dear Kevin,

I think it's ok for some people...just not me..not me..I rather go hungry :tongue:

This is a beautiful Uposatha Day..indeed :anjali:
yawares
yawares

Post by yawares »

David N. Snyder wrote:I am a vegetarian, but I find this to be a good idea. There is definitely no intention of killing (as long it wasn't hit on-purpose), no factory farming, none of the breeding or anti-biotic fed animal issues; basically an 'organic' meat. I think it is a good idea, for those who like the taste of meat.
Dear David,

Now I know how men think different from women...I can bet with you that no women will eat that kind of meat (except those Amazon women :tongue: )

yawares :jumping:
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

A classic by the Horseflies from 1993....

And don't forget to check out the menu at the Road Kill Cafe!
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

polarbuddha101 wrote:No point in letting the poor animal's body go to waste.
Agree.
yawares wrote:
Now I know how men think different from women...I can bet with you that no women will eat that kind of meat (except those Amazon women :tongue: )

yawares :jumping:
I think a lot of women really don't have a problem with it at all. For example, the following comment I just lifted off of the comments section to the article on the page where it is posted.

"When I was at college in a mountainous region full of wild deer, I had a dorm mate hit a deer with her truck. Because her father was a hunter, she knew exactly how to field dress the killed animal so that it's meat could be salvaged. Unfortunately, she did her field dressing in the girl's dorm common restroom and gave nightmares and heart attacks to the girls in their pajamas waking up in the middle of the night to go potty and coming upon a bloodied bathroom with girls with knifes and body parts. But the Dorm Crew came in the next morning to a pristine, super clean bathroom, and the girl went home with a freezer's worth of fresh deer meat.
Animals hit by cars are not as cleanly killed as animals shot, so bruising and internal bleeding could contaminate normally edible muscle tissue. That's why you have to field dress them to remove the colon and other damaged tissue before it can contaminate the rest of the body with the bacteria inside of it." - Valaria J.

To be clear, I am not encouraging people to eat roadkill. All I am saying is that I support this law being passed in Montana as it seems to work well in other States. There is no point in letting all that meat go to waste. And really, the more meat harvested in this manner, the less harvested from the end of a rifle.

Kevin
manas

Post by manas »

A good idea, BUT I do wish that more effort was put in to safe places where wildlife can cross over roads, more warning signs for motorists, and such things, so that less wildlife gets hit and killed in the first place. We are the ones who came and built asphalt roads in their backyards, and who send tonnes of metal whizzing down them at speed, so we are the ones who ought to make those roads safer, for the wildlife as well as the humans.

manas :anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.