PDF editor

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
tiltbillings

PDF editor

Post by tiltbillings »

I am looking for a PDF editor, so I can mess with a couple of PDFs, changing/correcting spelling, adding text and such. Any suggestions?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
piotr

Re: PDF editor

Post by piotr »

tiltbillings wrote:I am looking for a PDF editor, so I can mess with a couple of PDFs, changing/correcting spelling, adding text and such. Any suggestions?
Adobe Acrobat is obvious choice if you're willing to pay. But apart from that I'd suggest to get source files, edit them in suitable software program and then export to PDF again.

You also should be aware that in order to correct text in PDF file you have to install proper fonts on your computer. Fonts are embeded in PDF files but software won't allow you to edit text if you don't own a font.
Bhagavaṃmūlakā no, bhante, dhammā...
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

PDF-XChange. The editor is still in beta, but the free viewer is pretty useful too.

The unregistered version of the editor adds watermarks when you save changes> I presume Foxit Editor does the same.

PagePlus X5 (£20) is probably the best value for money. It is much more than a PDF editor — its a desktop publishing suite, that can also open PDF files for editing.

OpenOffice Draw is another (free) option, but imported PDF files are not so well suited to editing. Text tends to be in lots of small blocks. If the edits required are minor, it might be good enough.
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Cutepdf is what we used at Varsity.
http://www.cutepdf.com/products/
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Do you have Microsoft Word?

If yes, you could copy and paste the whole pdf to a Word document, make your changes, edits and then save it as a new pdf file.

I think starting from 2007 or 2010 editions Microsoft Word has that feature of being able to save a document directly as a pdf.
piotr

Post by piotr »

Hi,
David N. Snyder wrote:I think starting from 2007 or 2010 editions Microsoft Word has that feature of being able to save a document directly as a pdf.
Open Office has it as well (and it's free ;))
Bhagavaṃmūlakā no, bhante, dhammā...
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Thank you for your suggestions.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723