Migration to new software platform / registration bug update

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
Ben

Migration to new software platform / registration bug update

Post by Ben »

Dear all,

We are currently working towards moving Dhamma Wheel to a new forum software platform. This should give us greater functionality and stability. As you all know, the site has been beset with bugs since a software update some months ago.

The focus of activity is on tailoring the vBulletin software to our particular needs and migrating the database. Existing bugs and issues, inc. the "closing" of registration will not be attended to. It is expected that the migration to the vBulletin platform will resolve many of the existing problems.

In the interim, if you know any people who are having difficulty registering onto Dhamma Wheel, please get them to register their interest by emailing David: [email protected] or myself: [email protected].
Alternatively, they can join the Dhamma Wheel's facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/92881589623/ for updates and news.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
BlackBird

Re: Migration to new software platform / registration bug up

Post by BlackBird »

Hi Ben, others.

Will our posts and etc's be saved to the new platform or will we be starting fresh?
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Jack

I am not directly involved in the migration. My understanding is that posts will be saved.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
SDC

Post by SDC »

Good question, Blackbird. It would be a real bummer if the history gets lost here. Please keep us updated on that whenever you all have the chance.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

All posts will remain. You may have to re-upload your avatar picture, but otherwise everything will be the same, with much better features and ability to subscribe to any thread you want or posted to (email notifications).

It should transition anytime now, hopefully within the next few days.
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

David N. Snyder wrote:It should transition anytime now, hopefully within the next few days.
Mindful of arising, mindful of cessation...

:meditate:
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Well . . . we almost made it. The database was up and running on V-bulletin, year 2013 version 5, but ran into one slight problem:

No one could log-in with their current passwords. So we will be working on that to see what went wrong in the database transfer. In the meantime we reverted back to this software (phpbb) with all posts still intact.
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

I saw the goings on, question: Will there be a Dhamma wheel skin on launch, or shall we build up to it? I noticed when it launched that the backup of previous posts was from the night before, will there be a more current backup of the posts and threads on launch?

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
cooran

Post by cooran »

Much merit to you and your son David - for the great benefit this Forum brings to us all.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Buckwheat

Post by Buckwheat »

Thanks, David. Wonderfully kind of you to do all this. :anjali:
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.
Doshin

Post by Doshin »

I know migrations like this can be challenging... So you have all my sympathy.

One thought occurred to me; it is nice that old post's wille survive the migration, but how about links to old threats ? Many posts have references to other threads and/or posts, with direct links like http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 60#p239697

Will they still work/have same "syntax" in vbulletin ?

_/\_
Knowing about dhamma, does not imply knowing dhamma
mirco

Post by mirco »

Cool! There will be notifications :smile:
Good Luck!
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Hey, I received my first notification! Are we there yet? :D
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Modus.Ponens wrote:Hey, I received my first notification! Are we there yet? :D
Not yet. Since the database transfer to V-bulletin has been running into several errors and glitches, it is taking much longer than anticipated. Therefore, in the meantime we have been working on getting rid of some of the bugs / making some improvement in the current software, including:

* The system now requires captcha image and email verification to register, stopping some spammers (but not all)
* Email notifications now work! For the first time since the board started. If there is any thread or entire forum you want to subscribe to, just click the subscribe link at the bottom of each thread or forum.

And then you will receive an email when there is a response to that discussion. We will also be working on getting the search function / view your posts link working again.
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Thank you David! :)
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta