Yawares popular culture thread

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
yawares

Re: Eight Below/Journey To The Center Of The Earth

Post by yawares »

Dear Members...... :heart: JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH :heart:

Three adventurers plunge deep into a strange new realm beneath the Earth's surface where they embark on an amazing voyage and find awe-inspiring sites amidst grave danger. Starring: Brendan Fraser, Josh Hutcherson and pretty Anita Briem.

This is a great action/fantasy film suitable for most family members (rated PG) and I will enjoy watching this movie many times in the future. It easily makes it into my top 10...fun/exciting/romantic/cute/beautiful sceneries.... :heart: I love love the lighting birds..wish I have them flying around in my garden...so very cute :heart:

Love this movie so much :jumping:
yawares
yawares

Paul Anka : A Great Entertainer !!

Post by yawares »

Dear Members,

I emailed my 'Petra,Jordan poem post' to my daughter, all her friends love Paul Anka's songs, including her commander(a surgeon) who also likes my picture(avatar)..they say that Dhamma Wheel is so cool!!

Paul Anka :heart:
[From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia]

Paul Albert Anka, OC (born July 30, 1941) is a Canadian-American singer, songwriter, and actor. Anka became famous in the late 1950s and 1960s with hit songs like "Diana", "Lonely Boy", and "Put Your Head on My Shoulder". He went on to write such well-known music as the theme for The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson and one of Tom Jones' biggest hits, "She's a Lady", and the English lyrics for Frank Sinatra's signature song, "My Way".

In 1983, he co-wrote with Michael Jackson the song "I Never Heard", which was retitled and released in 2009 under the name "This Is It". An additional song that Jackson co-wrote with Anka from this 1983 session, "Love Never Felt So Good". Anka became a naturalized US citizen in 1990.

Don't ever leave me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfG2I26BIZA

Kissing On The Phone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrFbJ7Qea8g

Dance on little on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PSx0vR5o8Q

Puppy Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J5IZtLlV9E

Put your head on my shoulder: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74A3c5DgBNs

:tongue: DIANA was my brother's favorite song..he had a crush on his history lady-teacher..even used me as a little sister to get her attention at his high-school-fair, I got a MickeyMouse balloon/jello icecream as rewards. :tongue:

Diana : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pInm7h698aI

You're my destiny: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PSx0vR5o8Q

So true, my daughter is 'more than life'..'dream comes true' to me/Tep :heart:

Hope you all like Paul Anka :heart:
yawares :heart:
yawares

Child Brides : Hells On Earth

Post by yawares »

Dear Members,

The moment I clicked Yahoo homepage I saw this sad article..[By Beth Greenfield, Shine Staff]

A 6-year-old Afghan girl sold by her father into an impending marriage to pay off a family medical debt got a reprieve Monday: She will now get to stay with her parents, thanks to an anonymous donor who is paying off the debt of $2,500 through an American lawyer, according to a still-developing New York Times report.

The girl, Naghma, wound up being bartered by father Taj Mohammad after he borrowed the $2,500 from a fellow refugee-camp resident over the course of a year. The money was to pay for a hospital treatment for his wife and medical care for some of his nine children, including a three-year-old who later froze to death. If he couldn’t pay it off in another year, Naghma would be forced to wed the lender’s 17-year-old son.

“They said, ‘Pay back our money,’ and I didn’t have any money, so I had to give my girl,” Mohammad told the New York Times. “I was thankful to them at the time, so it was my decision, but the elders also demanded that I do this.” Soon after the deal was struck, the boy to whom Naghma was engaged insisted that she stop attending school, which she loves, her father said.

On Monday afternoon, there was no word on who paid off the debt or how. But now that it has been paid, said a New York Times follow-up story, the girl, Naghma, will remain with her family. She will no doubt continue to live in extreme poverty in the Kabul refugee camp, and will perhaps even forced into marriage when she’s older. Still, she is one of the luckier girls of Afghanistan, where half of all girls are forced to marry under age 15, according to estimates by the United Nations agency UN Women. That’s despite the legal age for marriage in the country being 16 for girls.

Ending the practice remains a huge challenge in Afghanistan's patriarchal society, where it’s somewhat traditional to give girls away to settle debts or pay for their relatives’ crimes. Tribal customs often condone marriage once puberty is reached, or even earlier, and the government has been unable or unwilling to challenge the law effectively.

Manizha Naderi, the executive director of Women for Afghan Women, a group that runs various shelters in the country, told the New York Times in a previous article that poverty is the motivation for many child marriages. That’s either because a wealthy husband pays a family well for his bride, or because the father of the bride will then have one less child to support. “Most of the time they are sold,” Ms. Naderi said. “And most of the time it’s a case where the husband is much, much older.”

Stories like Naghma’s come at a slow but steady clip out of Afghanistan and many other countries, including India. In 2010, two girls, ages 13 and 14, dressed as boys and fled their elderly husbands after refusing to consummate the marriages. They made it far from their remote village, but were eventually caught by police and returned home, where they were publicly, viciously flogged. Authorities did nothing, despite the flogging being caught on tape and human-rights groups’ efforts to intervene.

While the case may have been shocking, Fawzia Kofi, a prominent female member of Parliament, told the New York Times that, it was far from the only one. “I’m sure there are worse cases we don’t even know about,” she said. “Early marriage and forced marriage are the two most common forms of violent behavior against women and girls.”

In a more recent and widely reported case, a 15-year-old Afghanistan girl forced into marriage, Sahar Gul, was rescued from six months of torture at the hands of her in-laws. They kept her locked in a basement, ripped out her fingernails and burned her with hot irons—and, a rare instance of justice, were eventually brought to justice and sentenced to 10 years in prison.

According to a short Pulitzer Center film, “Too Young to Wed: The Secret World of Child Brides,” by National Geographic photographer Stephanie Sinclair, “Child marriage occurs in more than 50 developing countries around the world, and almost always results in the girl’s removal from school. What families don’t realize,” Sinclair explains through her narration, “is by curtailing a girl’s education, they’re only perpetuating the cycle of poverty.

She added, “As one Afghan police officer told me, girls are routinely seen as family burdens, while their male counterparts are seen as kings.”

Hells are right here on this planet 'EARTH' :jumping:
yawares :reading: :shock:
yawares

Re: I Love Exotic Gem Rings !!

Post by yawares »

Dear Members,

Nothing quite as pretty... as gems in the morning...adapt from the song:

:heart: Mary in the morning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvNR5utHwdQ

Iolite

As the transparent variety iolite, it is often used as a gemstone. The name "iolite" comes from the Greek word for violet. Another old name is dichroite, a Greek word meaning "two-colored rock", a reference to cordierite's strong pleochroism. It has also been called "water-sapphire" and "Vikings' Compass" because of its usefulness in determining the direction of the sun on overcast days, the Vikings having used it for this purpose. This works by determining the direction of polarization of the sky overhead. Light scattered by air molecules is polarized, and the direction of the polarization is at right angles to a line to the sun, even when the sun's disk itself is obscured by dense fog or lies just below the horizon.

Gem quality iolite varies in color from sapphire blue to blue violet to yellowish gray to light blue as the light angle changes. Iolite is sometimes used as an inexpensive substitute for sapphire. It is much softer than sapphires and is abundantly found in Australia (Northern Territory), Brazil, Burma, Canada (Yellowknife area of the Northwest Territories), India, Madagascar, Namibia, Sri Lanka, Tanzania and the United States (Connecticut). The largest iolite crystal found weighed more than 24,000 carats, and was discovered in Wyoming, USA.

--------------
Opal

Opal is an amorphous form of silica , a mineraloid form, not a mineral. 3% to 21% of the total weight is water, but the content is usually between 6% to 10%. It is deposited at a relatively low temperature and may occur in the fissures of almost any kind of rock, being most commonly found with limonite, sandstone, rhyolite, marl and basalt. Opal is the national gemstone of Australia, which produces 97% of the world's supply.[4] This includes the production of the state of South Australia, which amounts to around 80% of the world's supply.[5]

Opal's internal structure makes it diffract light; depending on the conditions in which it formed it can take on many colors. Opal ranges from clear through white, gray, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, magenta, rose, pink, slate, olive, brown, and black. Of these hues, the reds against black are the most rare, whereas white and greens are the most common. It varies in optical density from opaque to semi-transparent. For gemstone use, its natural color is often enhanced by placing thin layers of opal on a darker underlying stone, like basalt.

The best colorful opal found in Australia..not so great opal come from Nevada, USA and Mexico(fire opal).

yawares :heart:
SDC

Re: Child Brides : Hells On Earth

Post by SDC »

So sad. Those poor people to be involved in such unfortunate circumstances....and I mean all of them - the girls especially, their families, and even the elders, the in-laws, and the husbands. Just such a sad cycle.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Very tragic. This also happens in Ethiopia and some other parts of Africa too. Some girls are married off so young, when their body is not ready for intercourse and then they get fistula where their body can no longer hold in urine or feces. They urinate and defecate on themselves. And then in some cases the husband and her family reject them because they "smell". Fortunately there are some clinics being set up for reconstructive surgeries to correct the health problems.

http://www.oprah.com/spirit/Inside-the- ... Hospital_1

My hope is the third-world gets more developed economically. These problems mostly seem to exist in impoverished areas. And more women's rights also seems to result with economic development and more women entering the work force; no longer seen as only wives and mothers.
Ron-The-Elder

Post by Ron-The-Elder »

According to a Biblical documentary, which I watched this Easter, it is thought that Mary was about age twelve when she was visited by The Angel Gabriel and told that she would become the mother of The Christ Child. So marriage at age 10 to 14 doesn't sound like anything new by those standards. I wonder how old girls were in Buddha's time when they married.

According to this story, Queen Mallika was sixteen when she married :reading:
Queen Mallika

At the time of the Buddha, a daughter was born to the foreman of the guild of garland-makers in Savatthi. She was beautiful, clever and well behaved and a source of joy to her father.

One day, when she had just turned sixteen, she went to the public flower gardens with her girl-friends and took three portions of fermented rice along in her basket as the day's sustenance.

When she was just leaving by the city gate, a group of monks came along, who had come down from the monastery on the hill to obtain almsfood in town. The leader among them stood out; one whose grandeur and sublime beauty impressed her so much, that she impulsively offered him all the food in her basket.

He was the Awakened One. He let her put her offering into his alms bowl. After Mallika — without knowing to whom she had given the food — had prostrated at his feet, she walked on full of joy. The Buddha smiled. Ananda, his attendant, who knew that the fully Enlightened One does not smile without a reason, asked therefore why he was smiling. The Buddha replied that this girl would reap the benefits of her gift this very same day by becoming the Queen of Kosala.

This sounded unbelievable, because how could the Maharaja of Benares and Kosala elevate a woman of low caste to the rank of Queen? Especially in the India of those days with its very strict caste system, this seemed quite improbable.

The ruler over the United Kingdoms of Benares and Kosala in the Ganges Valley was King Pasenadi, the mightiest Maharaja of his day. At that time he was at war with his neighbor, the King of Magadha.

The latter had won a battle and King Pasenadi had been forced to retreat. He was returning to his capital on the horse that had been his battle companion. Before entering the city, he heard a girl sing in the flower gardens. It was Mallika, who was singing melodiously because of her joy in meeting the Illustrious Sage. The King was attracted by the song and rode into the gardens; Mallika did not run away from the strange warrior, but came nearer, took the horse by its reins and looked straight into the King's eyes. He asked her whether she was already married and she replied in the negative. Thereupon he dismounted, lay down with his head in her lap and let her console him about his ill-luck in battle.

After he had recovered, he let her mount his horse behind him and took her back to the house of her parents. In the evening he sent an entourage with much pomp to fetch her and made her his principal wife and Queen.

resource: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el292.html
What Makes an Elder? :
A head of gray hairs doesn't mean one's an elder. Advanced in years, one's called an old fool.
But one in whom there is truth, restraint, rectitude, gentleness,self-control, he's called an elder, his impurities disgorged, enlightened.
-Dhammpada, 19, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.
iforgotmyname

Post by iforgotmyname »

David N. Snyder wrote:Very tragic. This also happens in Ethiopia and some other parts of Africa too. Some girls are married off so young, when their body is not ready for intercourse and then they get fistula where their body can no longer hold in urine or feces. They urinate and defecate on themselves. And then in some cases the husband and her family reject them because they "smell". Fortunately there are some clinics being set up for reconstructive surgeries to correct the health problems.

My hope is the third-world gets more developed economically. These problems mostly seem to exist in impoverished areas. And more women's rights also seems to result with economic development and more women entering the work force; no longer seen as only wives and mothers.
That is really gross.
Last edited by iforgotmyname on Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

^Yes arranged/child marriages have been common throughout history. We should be thankful that we live in an age where choice in marriage is valued. It is very sad that this is not the case all over the world.
Muhammad married Aisha at a very young age. Could this be one reason why child marriages remain in some parts of the world?
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
iforgotmyname

Post by iforgotmyname »

Coyote wrote:^Yes arranged/child marriages have been common throughout history. We should be thankful that we live in an age where choice in marriage is valued. It is very sad that this is not the case all over the world.
Muhammad married Aisha at a very young age. Could this be one reason why child marriages remain in some parts of the world?
To attribute it to what is said in the Quaran is wrong - this is certainly not the case in every Islamic country or populace. I think it has more to do with culture than religion - and people may tend to interpret religion based more on their culture than any other factor. I believe there are far more Islamic places around the world where they do not do this sort of thing.
yawares

Post by yawares »

David N. Snyder wrote:Very tragic. This also happens in Ethiopia and some other parts of Africa too. Some girls are married off so young, when their body is not ready for intercourse and then they get fistula where their body can no longer hold in urine or feces. They urinate and defecate on themselves. And then in some cases the husband and her family reject them because they "smell". Fortunately there are some clinics being set up for reconstructive surgeries to correct the health problems.

-----------------
Dear David,

After I read your reply/Oprah link...I had to listen to 10 love songs to chase my blues away!!

yawares :anjali: :heart:
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

100 million girls who will get married as children over the next decade.

That figure is astonishing, and heart rending.

Here is a charity that is trying to help put an end to this disgusting practice, if anyone is interested:
http://www.care.org/campaigns/childmarriage/

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
yawares

Post by yawares »

Dear Members,

After I read this article(that David posted):

Dr. Catherine Hamlin, a Nobel Peace Prize nominee who has devoted nearly 50 years providing free reconstructive surgery to more than 25,000 African girls and women suffering from fistulas at the Addis Ababa Fistula Hospital that she opened with her late husband, Reginald.
Read more: http://www.oprah.com/spirit/Inside-the- ... z2PM26bcQf

-----------------
I admire Dr.C. Hamlin very much....BUT I'll never want my daughter to be like her....working in that hospital will sadden my daughter's heart everyday...not a good thing...I prefer my daughter to be with the AirForce ..do charity for 10 days and come back. I think my daughter will go to higher heaven by loving/learning Buddha's dhamma and meditation from her dad...I think TO AVIOD DOING EVIL..TO DO GOOD...TO PURIFY MIND will give my daughter peace of mind and achieve Sotapatti/Sagitagami/Anagami Fruition faster/happier.

Working at the Fistula Hospital is like being a saint in hell...it's not what I like my daughter to do.....I read the story and I felt sad for a while, I don't like to be sad/suffer....I prefer chanting with peace of mind surrounding with people I love....DO YOU THINK I'M SELFISH ???

I think I/Tep/daughter are like THE HANDSOME GOLDSMITH :
Please click : http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12268

-----------
NOTE: Do you know that there are child-brides-hells like that in USA too???...in Utah mostly..families have to give their young daughters to marry old old people that the fake prophets chose for them...those polygamy people...ONCE my daughter drove us to Mount Zion National Park in Utah...I saw a polygamy family with wives and many many children..they looked primitive to me even they wore clean clothes !!!

Here a story about polygamist sect leader Warren Jeffs :

Please click: http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/11/20/je ... l?_s=PM:US

I like this polygamy movie..very very good

yawares :anjali: :heart:
SDC

Post by SDC »

Ron-The-Elder wrote:I wonder how old girls were in Buddha's time when they married.

According to this story, Queen Mallika was sixteen when she married :reading:
With all due respect this^^^^ story is incomparable to the OP and the issue, in general.

The girl was 16.
The girl was happy.
Her family was happy.
The king was happy.
She wasn't the payment of a debt.
She became the queen.

Totally different scenario, with a positive outcome and good intentions throughout.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Ron-The-Elder wrote: I wonder how old girls were in Buddha's time when they married.
There are a few suttas that suggest that the age of 16 was considered about the right time to marry and also when a woman was considered to be in her prime, whereas nowadays we think of the 20 something year olds as being in their prime.
"Now what, monks, is the allure of forms? Suppose there were a maiden of the noble caste, the brahman caste, or the householder class, fifteen or sixteen years old, neither too tall nor too short, neither too thin nor too plump, neither too dark nor too pale. Is her beauty & charm at that time at its height?"

"Yes, lord."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
Sixteen years old is obviously a far cry from 6 or 12 though and today is still around the time when people begin having sex (in the west at least).
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."