Ordination

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Gena1480

Ordination

Post by Gena1480 »

How many monks needs to be present
for ordination take place.
karunametta

Re: Ordination

Post by karunametta »

In general, I believe 10 in a "buddhist" country and 5 in a non-buddhist country. However, I don't know where the actual rule can be found in the pali canon. This is just from experience of a temporary ordination in the US
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

It is 10 in the Middle Country of India (majjhimadesa), and 5 anywhere else.
Attachments
Milindas India.pdf
(189.19 KiB) Downloaded 162 times
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:It is 10 in the Middle Country of India (majjhimadesa), and 5 anywhere else.
Which is ironic these days as it would be much harder to furnish 10 monks in India for an ordination than many other places.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
Gena1480

Post by Gena1480 »

Venerable Bhikkhu Pesala
What are their roles.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Gena1480 wrote:Venerable Bhikkhu Pesala
What are their roles.
One of the 5 (or 10) is the candidate's preceptor, another questions the candidate as to his suitability for ordination before inviting him into the midst of the Sangha for the ordination ceremony. Three monks recite the formal act of the Sangha (kammavāca). All of the monks present consent to the acceptance of the candidate by their silence. If even one monk does not consent to the ordination it is invalid. That is why the ordination must be done within an agreed boundary (sīma), to ensure that all bhikkhus present within it have agreed on the formal act of the Sangha.

A sīma in Asia usually has a specially constructed building, but it doesn't have to. It can be just an agreed area demarcated by stones.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)