Drink urine

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
barcsimalsi

Re: Drink urine

Post by barcsimalsi »

So many negative comment :jawdrop:
Initially, I was thinking this practice is common among forest monk...

Both positive and negative informations are on the web :juggling: , luckily i'm still alive and kicking after this morning ordeal. If drinking urine is confirm bad, i hope this thread should served as a warning to gullible members like me(if there is any) though i'm still not sure which information is most reliable.
Anagarika

Post by Anagarika »

Lyoto Machida is a Japanese-Brazilian fighter for the UFC, who drinks his own urine as part of his health and training program:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3015/404 ... 91af_o.jpg

MONTREAL, Quebec -- Lyoto Machida created quite the stir when he revealed that he and his father, Yoshizo Machida, drink their urine every morning, so when MMA Fighting ran into Yoshizo at Wednesday's UFC 113 media workouts, we asked him about the benefits of urine drinking and why he started doing it.

To prove his point, Yoshizo then drank a full cup of his own urine right in front of us. True story
. See video: http://youtu.be/4LBOZH_j_sI
Hickersonia

Post by Hickersonia »

I don't think I'd bother with urine drinking (mine or another's) but there isn't much point in getting worked up about someone else drinking the stuff.

Wasn't urine medicine considered one of the basic monk's requisites? Wouldn't it be rather presumptuous of us to say that it is worthless medicinally if the Buddha suggested it?
Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."
SDC

Post by SDC »

This thread is pure effing gold[en]. :twothumbsup:
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
SDC

Post by SDC »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

I wonder what the commentaries say?

Metta,
Retro. :)
Retro for the win!
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Buckwheat

Post by Buckwheat »

cooran wrote:This might be of interest :)
http://www.vanderbilt.edu/AnS/psycholog ... herapy.htm

With metta
Chris
Don't ask me why, but I actually read this page. At the bottom, it says:
but does that make urine therapy a valuable alternative medicine?

Not necessarily. One must be critical of the various intriguing claims made by urine therapy advocates on the world wide web. Why? Because very little intense, authentic medical information and research exist. Sure there are many people who have come forward with miraculous stories of having been healed using urine medically and in survival situations. There is the 1990 story of the four Sri Lankan commandos who had drifted in a boat for over a 1000 miles to Thailand after they had been ambushed at sea, and had survived by catching turtles and drinking urine. There is the story of the male cook in the Philippines who survived 14 days under the ruins of a collapsed hotel by drinking his own urine (http://www.all-natural.com/urine.html). There is the story of the 92-year-old grandmother who is cured of gangrene, and the young man who is cured of tuberculosis� but that�s all the advocates have to offer for evidence of the efficacy of urine therapy� stories. Unless this information is being held back to the public for some reason, there is no hardcore scientific and medical evidence. Of course, the efficiency of urine therapy is difficult to study because most people would probably not want to participate in such a study, which leaves the world to continue to wonder, "Just how plausible are those claims?"

One thing that we must learn is that urine is not in fact "useless" and "an offensive waste product." We should lose our foul prejudices about urine� but to go as far as swearing that urine is the Savior of all medicine, is as deranged as saying those (in)famous two words�� "Got urine?"
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.
barcsimalsi

Post by barcsimalsi »

Thanks for all the infos and opinions ladies and gentlemen.

After reading more sources, i'm quite convinced urine drinking is harmless while still doubtful of its magic. In this manner, i decided to volunteer as a lab rat for Dhamma Wheel by consuming 1 cup( for now, i shall start by half cup first) of pee each day for 1 year or longer and see if there's any effect on my health. I don't have any severe illness but may easily get fever and fatigue which from the doctor's advice says poor immunity. If there's improvement then you guys can try it also, it is free - what else i need to say.

Anyone who is familiar with urine therapy is welcome to share their experience and analysis.
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

I don't think anybody will be following you in your experiment my friend and might I try one last chance to dissuade you from voluntarily drinking a cup of your own piss once a day by reiterating the fact that science has not found a single benefit in doing so. There is no evidence that you will receive any benefit from drinking your piss.

It sounds downright torturous and I don't know why on earth you'd subject yourself to it for a whole year. While there might not be any great inherent risks in doing so, there is nothing to be gained. So why do it?
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
manas

Post by manas »

I'm not advocating anyone do urine therapy, but I too have known about it for years. It's not a new thing, it's been around for ages:
The use of urine for medicinal purposes can be traced to societies in ancient Egypt, China, Hindu and Aztec histories. Advocates also cite a prominent verse in the Bible: “Drink water from thine own cistern and the streams of thine own well.”
But one isn't supposed to just scoff it down willy-nilly; there is the right time, and right amount to consider:
Urine therapy is also known as amaroli and it is an integral part of the Ayurvedic tradition of Yoga. Yogis who follow Ayurveda are advised to drink the urine they excrete between 4 and 6 in the morning because the hormones released are propitious in inducing the meditative state of mind.
Urine can be used internally or applied externally. For internal use, it is necessary to collect the morning’s first sample. A sterile container is used, and with a dropper the patient places anywhere between 5-10 drops under his tongue. The usual system is to use 1-5 drops on the first day, followed by 5-10 drops on the second day, 5-10 drops on the morning of the third day and 5-10 drops on the evening of the third day.
Precautions are taken to ensure the purity and quality of the urine. The first urine of the day and the mid-stream urine is the best sample. Before collecting the sample, it is necessary to wash the genital area thoroughly. After taking the urine into the body, individuals should refrain from eating anything for at least half an hour.

source: http://health.amuchbetterway.com/urine- ... -and-uses/
However, as I said earlier, if I want to drink something disgusting that is also good for me, I think I'll stick with barley grass juice...

:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
barcsimalsi

Post by barcsimalsi »

BlackBird wrote:I don't think anybody will be following you in your experiment my friend and might I try one last chance to dissuade you from voluntarily drinking a cup of your own piss once a day by reiterating the fact that science has not found a single benefit in doing so. There is no evidence that you will receive any benefit from drinking your piss.

It sounds downright torturous and I don't know why on earth you'd subject yourself to it for a whole year. While there might not be any great inherent risks in doing so, there is nothing to be gained. So why do it?
Thanks for your concern. Besides being curious of its effect, i also consider this experiment as a freak test to acknowledge the degree of my mental equanimity when facing unpleasant feeling. I will abort it if i really can't stand it, no worries.
barcsimalsi

Post by barcsimalsi »

manas wrote:I'm not advocating anyone do urine therapy, but I too have known about it for years. It's not a new thing, it's been around for ages:
The use of urine for medicinal purposes can be traced to societies in ancient Egypt, China, Hindu and Aztec histories. Advocates also cite a prominent verse in the Bible: “Drink water from thine own cistern and the streams of thine own well.”
But one isn't supposed to just scoff it down willy-nilly; there is the right time, and right amount to consider:
Urine therapy is also known as amaroli and it is an integral part of the Ayurvedic tradition of Yoga. Yogis who follow Ayurveda are advised to drink the urine they excrete between 4 and 6 in the morning because the hormones released are propitious in inducing the meditative state of mind.
Urine can be used internally or applied externally. For internal use, it is necessary to collect the morning’s first sample. A sterile container is used, and with a dropper the patient places anywhere between 5-10 drops under his tongue. The usual system is to use 1-5 drops on the first day, followed by 5-10 drops on the second day, 5-10 drops on the morning of the third day and 5-10 drops on the evening of the third day.
Precautions are taken to ensure the purity and quality of the urine. The first urine of the day and the mid-stream urine is the best sample. Before collecting the sample, it is necessary to wash the genital area thoroughly. After taking the urine into the body, individuals should refrain from eating anything for at least half an hour.

source: http://health.amuchbetterway.com/urine- ... -and-uses/
However, as I said earlier, if I want to drink something disgusting that is also good for me, I think I'll stick with barley grass juice...

:anjali:
Thanks, that was very useful.
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Have you seen this book: The Water of Life: Treatise on Urine Therapy
http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Water-Life- ... 0850320526
Urine drinking was popular (as a therapy) at one time with monastics in the UK.
SamKR

Post by SamKR »

Urine therapy is also called Shivambu therapy, and is advocated by some people in India. After all it is the place where Hindus believe that cow-urine is holy liquid which is essential for many Hindu rituals.

If there is no scientific/medical evidence that urine therapy works...then using it is yet another way of increasing Dukkha.
At best this kind of therapy may work as a placebo.

Personally I have become disenchanted with all kind of pseudoscience claims, therapies, and superstitions.
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

The bodhisatta ate cow dung so I suppose drinking urine isn't the worst thing you could do.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .ntbb.html
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
SamKR

Post by SamKR »

polarbuddha101 wrote:The bodhisatta ate cow dung so I suppose drinking urine isn't the worst thing you could do.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .ntbb.html
Maybe not the worst thing but whatever bodhisatta did at that time was an extreme path which the Buddha later declared as a path leading "to self-affliction: painful, ignoble, unprofitable."
"Yet, Sariputta, by such conduct, by such practice, by such performance of austerities, I did not attain any superhuman states, any distinction in knowledge and vision worthy of the noble ones. Why was that? Because I did not attain that noble wisdom which when attained is noble and emancipating and leads the one who practices in accordance with it to the complete destruction of suffering.
Furthermore, he did not use it for therapy purpose, right?