Possibly the most important poll you'll ever answer....

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.

Who is your favourite Traveling Wilbury?

Jeff Lynne
6%
Tom Petty
24%
Roy Orbison
9%
Bob Dylan
35%
George Harrison
26%
Jim Keltner
No votes

Total votes: 34

manas

Re: Possibly the most important poll you'll ever answer....

Post by manas »

Harrison's voice isn't perfect here, but it has sincerity, emotion and is perfect for this song. imho. So yeah I admit that substance is more important than style.

In peace :anjali:
Last edited by manas on Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
SDC

Post by SDC »

Oh, and Jeff Lynne btw. Dude was top notch.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

danieLion wrote:
manas wrote:This is probably the only opportunity I will ever get to ask this question, as I don't frequent musical forums, so... to die hard fans of Bob Dylan: does the fact that he could not hold pitch, not bother you at all? I mean, I agree that he had a rare and outstanding gift for writing lyrics, he was and is indeed a great poet. But his voice doesn't seem to match that greatness, do people know what I mean?

metta
He could hold a pitch. Several of his recordings and performances demnstrate this. I think he was just lazy or otherwise didn't care or had a bad night. It's also a matter of taste. Opera singers are supposed to be the best in the world at holding a picth but I can't stand Opera.
I don't think it's laziness. As others have said, he made/makes use of a variety of styles, and that ragged sound it part of the style. Blues-based singing is more about timing and tone than notes.

Personally, I find that most covers of Bob's songs completely miss the point. For example, covers of "Don't think twice" tend to miss the multidimensionality of the song, turning it into either a rant or a lament, losing the point that both protagonists are equally to blame... The exceptions are performers like Joan Baez, Johnny Cash, or Jack White, who actually understand the idioms, or those like Jimi Hendrix, Rage Against the Machine, or Patti Smith, who really added something.

I've always thought that Goenka must have been a Dylan fan:
Like a Rolling Stone wrote:How does it feel?
Speaking of which:
Dylan's contemporaries in 1965 were both startled and challenged by the single. Paul McCartney remembered going around to John Lennon's house in Weybridge to hear the song. According to McCartney, "It seemed to go on and on forever. It was just beautiful ... He showed all of us that it was possible to go a little further." Frank Zappa had a more extreme reaction: "When I heard 'Like a Rolling Stone', I wanted to quit the music business, because I felt: 'If this wins and it does what it's supposed to do, I don't need to do anything else ...' But it didn't do anything. It sold but nobody responded to it in the way that they should have."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Like_a_Rolling_Stone
Neil Young wrote:First time I heard 'Like A Rolling Stone'
I felt that magic and took it home
Gave it a twist and made it mine
But nothing was as good as the very first time
Poetry rolling off his tongue
Like Hank Williams chewing bubble gum
Asking me 'how does it feel'?

:anjali:
Mike
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

:goodpost: Mike

Some of Bob's live performances are pretty lazy--or unrehearsed. Still, I'd rather see him lazy unrehearsed than not at all.

I got into him when I was Christian.

Best Bob covers anyone? I really like the Dead's Tangled Up In Blue but I don't think I've ever heard a Bob cover better than the original.

I've covered Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts; Twist of Fate w/not so much success but some success with I'll Be Your Baby Tonight (it comes easy to me, unlike the other two).
Anagarika

Post by Anagarika »

My vote went to the genius George Harrison.

Since I'm from Chicago, I can vote early and often....actually, I didn't hit the poll more than once, but if I could vote Chicago style, my other votes would be for Roy Orbison (this being one of my favorites http://youtu.be/m5N9IHqqGcA ) and finally, Jeff Lynne of ELO, whose songs and voice powered through the cassette deck of my high school years.
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

danieLion wrote:Best Bob covers anyone?
Hendrix covering All Along the Watchtower

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

A cover of a cover...

Mike
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

And Bob from about 20 years ago...

Mike
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

And now, for something completely different...

Justsit

Post by Justsit »

Or this...recorded while he was dying of cancer

danieLion

Post by danieLion »

Goog call JustSit
Dylan has described his reaction to hearing Hendrix's version: "It overwhelmed me, really. He had such talent, he could find things inside a song and vigorously develop them. He found things that other people wouldn't think of finding in there. He probably improved upon it by the spaces he was using. I took license with the song from his version, actually, and continue to do it to this day."[25] In the booklet accompanying his Biograph album, Dylan said: "I liked Jimi Hendrix's record of this and ever since he died I've been doing it that way... Strange how when I sing it, I always feel it's a tribute to him in some kind of way."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Along_ ... Experience
I don't listen to music that much anymore, but whenever I hear Jimi--even the overplayed stuff now--it still blows me away.
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

Mikenz66

Both of those were way cool. Thanks.

Re" a cover of a cover? indeed...that Dylan quote I posted from Wiki has Bob saying in essence when i play it now i cover Jimi's version so i guess that makes the string quartent version a cover of a cover a cover?
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

JustSit,
That Zevon cover is quite moving, thanks.

I think he woul've fit in as Wilbury.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Daniel,
danieLion wrote: Both of those were way cool. Thanks.

Re" a cover of a cover? indeed...that Dylan quote I posted from Wiki has Bob saying in essence when i play it now i cover Jimi's version so i guess that makes the string quartent version a cover of a cover a cover?
Yes, sure. Bob's voice may now be rather shot, and his singing (and guitar and harmonica playing) is at times a little eccentric, but I don't doubt his commitment.

Last time I saw him here (ten years ago) he was finishing with Watchtower every night with an introduction that was the theme to the movie Exodus (I saw two shows in two cities---about half the songs were different). On the last night he played most of the song with guitar, but then decided to switch to keyboard, so handed the guitar off to a roadie (we were in the 4th row so it was easy to see what was happening). The keyboards were working, but the guy on the desk had turned down the mic at the keyboard, and didn't wake up until halfway through the last verse. I presume it would have been obvious to Bob that nothing was coming out (unless the monitor mix was completely separate), but he didn't pause, look around, or gesticulate at the sound crew. He just kept singing into the mic until the sound came back...

The previous show was in another city, and on the way back to the airport the next day, Peter, Paul, and Mary's version of "Don't think twice" happened to came on. As I said above, the emotions communicated were a pale imitation of what I'd heard the night before. Even with a voice that doesn't really work so good anymore, Bob got across the multidimensional emotion of both the jilted lover, and the selfish b*astard very clearly:
I’m walkin’ down that long, lonesome road, babe
Where I’m bound, I can’t tell
But goodbye’s too good a word, gal
So I’ll just say fare thee well
I ain’t sayin’ you treated me unkind
You could have done better but I don’t mind
You just kinda wasted my precious time
But don’t think twice, it’s all right
Mike