Autonomous Breathing?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Mojo

Autonomous Breathing?

Post by Mojo »

During meditation, I have always seen myself as the driver of my breath. I'm guessing this probably came about from doing yoga and using the breath as a timer for each pose. Maybe I picked the habit up even before the yoga, I'm not sure.

Anyways, I am starting to learn anapanasati and during practice today, while working on the initial steps of determining the quality of each in and out breath, it occurred to me that I was controlling my breath and therefore ultimately the quality of my breath. My breathing was no longer autonomous. I decided to try to see if I could return my breath to its autonomous state and still follow it and I think I was successful. I noticed my breathing became much more shallow and I think that it became more chesty than when I control it to be more abdominal.

So which way is the right way? It's there a right way? Should I drive my breath or just grade it from the passenger seat?

Thank you.

Mojo
convivium

Re: Autonomous Breathing?

Post by convivium »

if the breath becomes very subtle, you don't need to control it or breathe deeper. it's just a sign the meditation is progressing.
Just keep breathing in and out like this. Don't be interested in anything else. It doesn't matter even if someone is standing on their head with their ass in the air. Don't pay it any attention. Just stay with the in-breath and the out-breath. Concentrate your awareness on the breath. Just keep doing it. http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Just_Do_It_1_2.php
manas

Post by manas »

EDIT: I'm sorry, I made a reply to this, then after this morning's meditation, thought that since my own practice keeps evolving, that means I ought to be careful about making comments that could be construed as suggestions for how one could practice, the reason being that I myself still have so much to learn, and I don't even want to take the risk that anything I said could be in error (not that even meditation masters seem to be in consensus about it, but still).

All I'm going to say is that my experience this morning seemed to be more in line with how Thanissaro Bhikkhu explains anapanasati - and that I'm going to give his writings and talks a hearty recommendation.

In peace and metta

:anjali:
Last edited by manas on Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
convivium

Post by convivium »

to which i would reply in praise of caffeine
Just keep breathing in and out like this. Don't be interested in anything else. It doesn't matter even if someone is standing on their head with their ass in the air. Don't pay it any attention. Just stay with the in-breath and the out-breath. Concentrate your awareness on the breath. Just keep doing it. http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Just_Do_It_1_2.php
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

Mojo wrote:During meditation, I have always seen myself as the driver of my breath. I'm guessing this probably came about from doing yoga and using the breath as a timer for each pose. Maybe I picked the habit up even before the yoga, I'm not sure.

Anyways, I am starting to learn anapanasati and during practice today, while working on the initial steps of determining the quality of each in and out breath, it occurred to me that I was controlling my breath and therefore ultimately the quality of my breath. My breathing was no longer autonomous. I decided to try to see if I could return my breath to its autonomous state and still follow it and I think I was successful. I noticed my breathing became much more shallow and I think that it became more chesty than when I control it to be more abdominal.

So which way is the right way? It's there a right way? Should I drive my breath or just grade it from the passenger seat?

Thank you.

Mojo
Thanissaro teaches that the breath is much more voluntary than we think and that the deeper one goes with anapansati the clearer this becomes. I remember arguing with Professor Tiltbillings et al about this a while back but until the search function's fixed (this is not a complaint ;) ) I'm not looking for it and good luck to you, Mojo, if you try. It's probably worth a look at, though--in my opinion.
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Mojo wrote:Should I drive my breath or just grade it from the passenger seat?
Sati (watch) the breath such that you calm kaya-sankhara (body-involvement).

:heart:
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Nyorai

Post by Nyorai »

There is no such thing as feel of breath in chesty or abdominal. Anapanasati basically is applying concentration on one sense - breath so that all five other senses are closed. Practitioners of this method should apply breath focus in daily routine like meal time etc
ImageTo become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana.
If you light a lamp for somebody, it will also brighten your path. He who experiences the unity of life sees his own Self in all beings, and all beings in his own Self.Image
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

Nyorai wrote:There is no such thing as feel of breath in chesty or abdominal. Anapanasati basically is applying concentration on one sense - breath so that all five other senses are closed. Practitioners of this method should apply breath focus in daily routine like meal time etc
I haven't heard this interpretation before. What is the basis of this assertion?
Samma

Post by Samma »

danieLion wrote:Thanissaro teaches that the breath is much more voluntary than we think and that the deeper one goes with anapansati the clearer this becomes. I remember arguing with Professor Tiltbillings et al about this a while back but until the search function's fixed (this is not a complaint ;) ) I'm not looking for it and good luck to you, Mojo, if you try. It's probably worth a look at, though--in my opinion.
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 4&start=40
:juggling:
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

Samma wrote:
danieLion wrote:Thanissaro teaches that the breath is much more voluntary than we think and that the deeper one goes with anapansati the clearer this becomes. I remember arguing with Professor Tiltbillings et al about this a while back but until the search function's fixed (this is not a complaint ;) ) I'm not looking for it and good luck to you, Mojo, if you try. It's probably worth a look at, though--in my opinion.
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 4&start=40
:juggling:
Yep, that's the one. Thanks. It's helpful to see that there's not an easy answer. The idea that breathing becomes imperceptible (not necessarily switching from breathing with the lungs to breathing solely through the skin like I argued before--I'm not so sure at this point--and Thanissaro and his teachers teach-Lee, Fuang) in fourth jhana is taught by most teachers I've read on the subject (the latest being Pau Auk; but I can't remember the reference right now).

I also swithced from yoga breathing (pranayama) to anapanasati.

I try not to think about if I should "drive" my breath or "just watch" it. I suppose it's ultimately a matter of perception (sanna). I do, however, often find just using the directed thought/evaluation of "where/when you perceive the breath as voluntary, let it go," as one of the best, if not the best ways (for me) to keep my mind absorbed in my breath--and it simultaneously serves the calming intentions, not to mention augmenting the jhana factors.

I don't know if there's a right way, but I doubt there's one way right for everyone. Maybe I'll find a better way later, but this is the "rightest" I've found to date.
alan...

Post by alan... »

i struggle with this as well.

for me what happens is i get into a super deep state of meditation where everything fades but awareness of my mind, then i notice i'm not breathing! and so i try to ignore it, i still don't breathe, try to ignore, no breath, and finally, i just breathe. it's weird. not sure how to get around this.
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

alan... wrote:i struggle with this as well.

for me what happens is i get into a super deep state of meditation where everything fades but awareness of my mind, then i notice i'm not breathing! and so i try to ignore it, i still don't breathe, try to ignore, no breath, and finally, i just breathe. it's weird. not sure how to get around this.
Why are you trying to ignore your breathing when your'e doing mindfulness of breathing? Also, for the OP, do you perceive it as voluntary, involuntary, both, neither?
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

danieLion wrote:

Why are you trying to ignore your breathing when your'e doing mindfulness of breathing? Also, for the OP, do you perceive it as voluntary, involuntary, both, neither?
It is involuntary until I try to watch it, in which case it becomes voluntary. I'm not sure if I should keep it voluntary or try to move my awareness out a bit so that I can observe my breathing while in it's involuntary state if possible.
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

Mojo wrote:
danieLion wrote:

It is involuntary until I try to watch it, in which case it becomes voluntary. I'm not sure if I should keep it voluntary or try to move my awareness out a bit so that I can observe my breathing while in it's involuntary state if possible.
I don't have an answer to this, so I'm not playing Socrates here, but how do you know it's not voluntary when you don't watch it? For instance, if you have a full bladder, decide to hold it, then forget about it for a few minutes via some distraction, does that render your "sub-conscious" or "un-conscious" holding of it while you're preoccupied involuntary (this might relate to operant conditioning too)?
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

Well, I haven't died in my sleep yet. *knock wood*