If you couldn't be a Buddhist, what would you be?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
danieLion

Re: If you couldn't be a Buddhist, what would you be?

Post by danieLion »

1) Practicing Buddhism is not a matter of being (ontology/metaphyisics).

2) Does everyone in this thread believe Buddhist practice is mutually exclusive to all other practices?
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

danieLion wrote:1) Practicing Buddhism is not a matter of being (ontology/metaphyisics).
A rather inconsequential semantic point methinks.
2) Does everyone in this thread believe Buddhist practice is mutually exclusive to all other practices?
No, but I imagine the OP was wondering if any of us would choose some other religion or philosophy as our main guide to life if we weren't buddhists or buddhist practitioners.
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

polarbuddha101 wrote:
danieLion wrote:1) Practicing Buddhism is not a matter of being (ontology/metaphyisics).
No, but I imagine the OP was wondering if any of us would choose some other religion or philosophy as our main guide to life if we weren't buddhists or buddhist practitioners.
Perhaps, but I'll wait for the OP to respond before I speculate about whether or not (1) is in his opinoin semantically inconsequential and whether or not he agrees with your imagination about his OP and your respons to (2).
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

convivium wrote:buddhism is so broad that i think it contains everything else in one way or another.
even Magick?
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

danieLion wrote:
polarbuddha101 wrote:
Perhaps, but I'll wait for the OP to respond before I speculate about whether or not (1) is in his opinoin semantically inconsequential and whether or not he agrees with your imagination about his OP and your respons to (2).
Fair enough.

:anjali:
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
convivium

Post by convivium »

even Magick?
vajrayana, definitely.
Just keep breathing in and out like this. Don't be interested in anything else. It doesn't matter even if someone is standing on their head with their ass in the air. Don't pay it any attention. Just stay with the in-breath and the out-breath. Concentrate your awareness on the breath. Just keep doing it. http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Just_Do_It_1_2.php
LonesomeYogurt

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

danieLion wrote:2) Does everyone in this thread believe Buddhist practice is mutually exclusive to all other practices?
I don't think that's the case, but Buddhism is unique enough in its philosophy that one who practices as a Buddhist primarily may have trouble adjusting that approach to allow for other practices that aren't based in anatta, dispassion, and non-clinging.
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
jonno

Post by jonno »

Hi all. When I examine the basic teachings of all the masters of all religions, I find that their core message is one of love, compassion , and respect for all beings.At the time that's all that existed, the tag of a religion came after their deaths whereupon all the beliefs dogmas etc. we're added. So my answer is that I would not follow any religion but would try to learn from and practice these masters basic teachings and disregard the sometimes crazy and illogical belief systems that were invented and attributed to them after their deaths. To me I cannot see any major difference between the Buddhas original teachings and Jesus's teachings in the beatitudes. Just to practice simply and live with compassion and love is enough for me with no labels attached. Namaste .Jonno
LonesomeYogurt

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

jonno wrote:Hi all. When I examine the basic teachings of all the masters of all religions, I find that their core message is one of love, compassion , and respect for all beings.At the time that's all that existed, the tag of a religion came after their deaths whereupon all the beliefs dogmas etc. we're added. So my answer is that I would not follow any religion but would try to learn from and practice these masters basic teachings and disregard the sometimes crazy and illogical belief systems that were invented and attributed to them after their deaths. To me I cannot see any major difference between the Buddhas original teachings and Jesus's teachings in the beatitudes. Just to practice simply and live with compassion and love is enough for me with no labels attached. Namaste .Jonno
But what about Christ's teachings regarding a creator God? What about Hinduism's teachings of the Atman, or Muhammad's teachings about violence? Although most religions have, at their core, a message of compassion and love, they also have important differences; in fact, many central tenants of the world's major religions are diametrically opposed to what the Buddha taught.

If someone was over at my house for dinner and asked where the restroom was, I wouldn't say, "Well now, all hallways lead to the restroom. Designations about the nature of restroom paths are simply inventions to mask an eternal, omnipresent hallway." I would give them concrete and meaningful directions to a real place. Enlightenment is just as "real" a thing, so why shouldn't the instructions for arriving there be equally tangible?
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

If someone was over at my house for dinner and asked where the restroom was, I wouldn't say, "Well now, all hallways lead to the restroom.
You might if you genuinely believed that the creator was so loving that he didn't care where people took a dump. "For those who prefer to wipe with silk, our lounge curtains are most attractive..."
convivium

Post by convivium »

i'd be a non-academic skeptic (like pyrrhon), or cynic (like diogenes or real jesus). or somee secret of the golden flower related school of daoism that pretty much is buddhism :yingyang:
Just keep breathing in and out like this. Don't be interested in anything else. It doesn't matter even if someone is standing on their head with their ass in the air. Don't pay it any attention. Just stay with the in-breath and the out-breath. Concentrate your awareness on the breath. Just keep doing it. http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Just_Do_It_1_2.php
alan...

Post by alan... »

convivium wrote:
even Magick?
vajrayana, definitely.
yup. if you count every "form" of "buddhism" it contains elements of all religions.
alan...

Post by alan... »

LonesomeYogurt wrote:
jonno wrote:Hi all. When I examine the basic teachings of all the masters of all religions, I find that their core message is one of love, compassion , and respect for all beings.At the time that's all that existed, the tag of a religion came after their deaths whereupon all the beliefs dogmas etc. we're added. So my answer is that I would not follow any religion but would try to learn from and practice these masters basic teachings and disregard the sometimes crazy and illogical belief systems that were invented and attributed to them after their deaths. To me I cannot see any major difference between the Buddhas original teachings and Jesus's teachings in the beatitudes. Just to practice simply and live with compassion and love is enough for me with no labels attached. Namaste .Jonno
But what about Christ's teachings regarding a creator God? What about Hinduism's teachings of the Atman, or Muhammad's teachings about violence? Although most religions have, at their core, a message of compassion and love, they also have important differences; in fact, many central tenants of the world's major religions are diametrically opposed to what the Buddha taught.

If someone was over at my house for dinner and asked where the restroom was, I wouldn't say, "Well now, all hallways lead to the restroom. Designations about the nature of restroom paths are simply inventions to mask an eternal, omnipresent hallway." I would give them concrete and meaningful directions to a real place. Enlightenment is just as "real" a thing, so why shouldn't the instructions for arriving there be equally tangible?
jonno: i see what you're saying about all religions masters or whatever. however it's only applicable if we take JUST the suttas on metta. in these the buddha just espouses universal love as a method and in that way it's very close to many other religions. but if we look at all of his teachings he is teaching us to break up the parts of the mind and body so that we may see anatta and be free. i don't know of any other religions that teach this. it is very specific and unique in it's doctrine and methods.

all the rest involve faith in unseen and unknown things, buddhism is a "come and see" religion that challenges you to see anatta and other dhamma ideas first hand in this current life.

instead of "believe in god! believe in the eternal soul! you can't see it but have faith. you are 100% dependent on god(s)."

it's

"there is no self. by all means look! and look hard! try out some methods to look into the mind and body and you'll see for yourself and become independent of the masters dispensation eventually. you'll become totally independent of everything."

lonesome yogurt: lol. awesome analogy. exactly how my brain works when coming up with such things.
nem

Post by nem »

Dead. :)

Well, what is a Bhuddist anyway? To have a Bhuddist, there has to be a self, and there is no self, therefore there is no Bhuddist..but this mind that sends these words, has absorbed the instructions that we understand to have come from the canonical Bhudda. Other bodies with other minds, would look to this body and actions and say that there is some me, and that me is Bhuddist.

"I" came to learn the teachings of the Bhudda during a difficult time in "my" so-called life. So, the clarity that "he" had, this informed me in "my" so-called life. It doesn't seem clear, whether there is any difference between being "Bhuddist" and something else, or whether the Bhudda existed as a person or not is really important. The eyes see the words of the canonical Bhudda in the printed nikayas and this comes through mind and is maybe beneficial. Or the ears hear talks on the dhamma and the mind takes this and maybe it is beneficial if the mind finds utility in it, and it calms the mind. But, Bhuddist, the concept of being "Bhuddist" is contrary to the instructions that "we" understand to have come from the Bhudda. In the profundity of it, to even conceive of Bhuddism as a fixed thing is maybe wrong view.