Nibbana used for evil

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
alan...

Re: Nibbana used for evil

Post by alan... »

martian wrote:Once a person is able to understand and unbind the workings of perceived reality and karma.
Once enlightenment is attained and one is liberated from the hold of kamma, can this ability be used for evil?
I mean can one act upon the thought that "Now karma cannot touch me. I can now do anything without karmic consequence."
there's actually a list of things an arahant is physically incapable of doing and it certainly rules out anything "evil". so, definitely not.

EDIT: oops, i see now the guy above me beat me to it!
Last edited by alan... on Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

martian wrote:
I mean can one act upon the thought that "Now karma cannot touch me. I can now do anything without karmic consequence."
Check out that famous Zen story "Pai Chang's fox" if you haven't read it.. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_fox_koan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )
male_robin

Post by male_robin »

How does Kamma is cetana apply to the question posed?
whynotme

Post by whynotme »

Very well said
Francis Pope wrote:
martian wrote:Once enlightenment is attained and one is liberated from the hold of kamma, can this ability be used for evil?
This view is inherently & extremely dangerous. Its danger does not lie in whether it is true or not. Instead, its danger lies in the believer empowering the evil doer by believing an evil doer may be an arahant. Such beliefs justify evil. Such beliefs are the basis of most evil that occurs in religion, where the believer believes the evil doer is a holy being. Such beliefs can destroy the mind of a person that may be the recipient of such evil deeds. Where as the removal of such belief will save.

The concept of the arahant is based in the perfection of both wisdom & conduct. An evil doer cannot be an arahant. Even if a mind has attained imperturability & various powers, if it continues to do evil it cannot be arahant. This forms the proper foundation of belief about arahants. Regardless of attainments, an evil doer cannot be an arahant in Buddhism. This distinguishes the arahant from godly beings that continue to practise forms of evil. Buddha taught to all of his arahants on the 3rd Buddhist Holy Day:
183. To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.

184. Enduring patience is the highest austerity. "Nibbana is supreme," say the Buddhas. He is not a true monk who harms another, nor a true renunciate who oppresses others.

185. Not despising, not harming, restraint according to the code of monastic discipline, moderation in food, dwelling in solitude, devotion to meditation — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.

Dhammapada
Please stop following me