Blue Toes

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Guy

Blue Toes

Post by Guy »

Hello,

Lately when I have been meditating my toes have been turning blue. It doesn't last very long, I just rub my toes after I have finished and the circulation is back to normal within a minute or so. I suspect it is nothing serious, probably a combination of the winter weather and a sedentary lifestyle. Maybe I could do some more regular exercise (I have been a bit slack lately) to help with the circulation. Hass anyone else ever had this happen when they meditate, if so what did you do about it?

Thanks,

Guy
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
tiltbillings

Re: Blue Toes

Post by tiltbillings »

How old are you? And what posture are you meditating in? Blue toes are not good.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Guy

Post by Guy »

I am 22. Sometimes on a chair, sometimes "burmese posture".

2) Throwing things away

- Ajahn Brahm
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Guy wrote:I am 22. Sometimes on a chair, sometimes "burmese posture".
Damdfino what to say. You are obviously cutting off circulation. Toes go blue in both postures?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Guy

Post by Guy »

Actually, only in the chair now I think about it.

2) Throwing things away

- Ajahn Brahm
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Guy wrote:Actually, only in the chair now I think about it.
You are cutting off circulation and your feet are in a dependent position that also can inhibit circulation. Try a different chair, and if the burmese posture is workable, I'd use that, and of course there is always the highly underrrated walking meditation. Others here may have other suggestions.

Guy

Post by Guy »

Hi Tilt,

Thanks for the advice, I will definitely try your suggestions and let you know how it goes.

With Metta,

Guy

2) Throwing things away

- Ajahn Brahm
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Guy
Firstly, attend to the exercise if you're not getting any.
Also, look at your posture and adjust if necessary. You maybe inadvertently cutting off circulation to your feet.
Kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Guy

Post by Guy »

Hi Tilt and Ben,

Thanks for the suggestions. I used a different chair, paid more attention to my posture making sure it was relaxed (I probably have been a bit too forceful and insensitive at times), wore socks, sat in a warmer room than I normally do (usually I sit in the coldest room in the house barefeet), plus I did some exercise - not sure which of these things worked but I will keep practicing in this way and I'll update if symptoms return.

Thanks again for your help,

Guy

2) Throwing things away

- Ajahn Brahm
Individual

Post by Individual »

Guy wrote:Hello,

Lately when I have been meditating my toes have been turning blue. It doesn't last very long, I just rub my toes after I have finished and the circulation is back to normal within a minute or so. I suspect it is nothing serious, probably a combination of the winter weather and a sedentary lifestyle. Maybe I could do some more regular exercise (I have been a bit slack lately) to help with the circulation. Hass anyone else ever had this happen when they meditate, if so what did you do about it?

Thanks,

Guy
If there is any loss of circulation in the feet or legs -- even simply tingling or numbness (blue toes is an extreme sign of circulation loss) -- you should change your position. This can especially be a problem if you are overweight and have thick legs. It's best to avoid the lotus positions or even sitting cross-legged ("Indian style"), and instead sit in the Burmese posture: one leg resting in front of the other. It may also be best to sit with a cushion or do meditation in a chair.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Guy

Post by Guy »

Hi Individual,

I am underweight, if anything, so maybe it's my bony structure that is cutting off the blood flow. :jumping:

With Metta,

Guy

2) Throwing things away

- Ajahn Brahm