Xtian fundies

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
tiltbillings

Xtian fundies

Post by tiltbillings »

I'll make no comment because likely if I do I'll violate the TOS.

http://world.time.com/2013/03/08/good-l ... -tibetans/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Reductor

Re: Xtian fundies

Post by Reductor »

Fundamental Christians don't ever give up. Pwee! (that's me spitting. Cute, huh?)

:shrug:
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/fe ... ists-tibet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

I dunno, seems like a legitimate tactic to me.
From their perspective there's nothing wrong with it, and I can't see much unwholesomeness from where I'm sitting either.
They just believe different stuff and want others to discover the same belief.
They're not killing anyone... Maybe damaging a culture though.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

James the Giant wrote:I dunno, seems like a legitimate tactic to me.
From their perspective there's nothing wrong with it, and I can't see much unwholesomeness from where I'm sitting either.
Maybe damaging a culture? Very likely and very profoundly. As for not being unwholesome, yes, well, from the perspective of those who burned heretics at the stake, just another day doing the work of the Prince of Peace and the God of Love. For these evangelizing people what they are doing is seen and talked about as war -- and they do use terms of warfare -- against their devil, a wholesome and meritorious way to act. Blameless, I am sure they are, to be rewarded by their god with eternal bliss for all the souls they have saved from eternal damnation. Wholesome? Probably not.

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

http://blogs4brownback.wordpress.com/20 ... -but-once/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.truthnet.org/Spiritual-warfa ... arfare.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

plwk

Post by plwk »

Tilt..can you stop posting stuff that reminds me of my dear mom.... :lol:
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

James the Giant wrote:I dunno, seems like a legitimate tactic to me.
Damaging a culture is understating it. I know of cases in Cambodia where families and sometimes entire villages have been split. Young children in orphanages are taught that giving alms to monks is evil, etc. In N.E India in the states of Mizoram and Nagaland, christian fundies have formed their own army. Temples of ethnic tribes have been razed. .
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

James the Giant wrote:I can't see much unwholesomeness from where I'm sitting either.
It's wrong intention; acquisitive (converts, souls, personal virtue, etc.) and ill-willed (a function of 'they are wrong, I/we are right') and harmful (Xianity as an emotive ideological assault as opposed to arising in a mutual environment of inquiry).
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

tiltbillings wrote:I'll make no comment because likely if I do I'll violate the TOS.

http://world.time.com/2013/03/08/good-l ... -tibetans/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You have not only made comments which (IMO) violate the TOS but by posting the original article you implicitly encouraged others to do so. The whole thread is reminding me of proverbs about pots and kettles, and glass houses and stones.
If you don't like what people are doing, for goodness' sake tell them - don't start a gripe session they will never even hear about.

:jedi:
Kim
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Consider the article a prompt for the brahmaviharas, then. It needn't be taken as a gripe session.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

This is closed before it goes totally apepoop.