what to do when i'm dying?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
alan...

what to do when i'm dying?

Post by alan... »

what are theravada instructions on this?

let's say i'm lying in a hospital bed with a terminal illness and six weeks to live.

then let's try something more immediate and say i got poisoned and have only two days to live.

then even more immediate let's say i've been stabbed and am bleeding to death slowly over a half hour or so.

and finally a heart attack, extreme pain and i'm dying in less than a minute or two.
LonesomeYogurt

Re: what to do when i'm dying?

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

Mindfully observe the phenomenon, seeing it as impermanent and free of self.
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
alan...

Post by alan... »

LonesomeYogurt wrote:Mindfully observe the phenomenon, seeing it as impermanent and free of self.
by "seeing it as impermanent and free of self." do you mean watch whatever is happening and then mentally speak to myself, reminding myself of these things? or just watch with that knowledge already logged into my mind?
kirk5a

Post by kirk5a »

Here's one:
[Anathapindika:] "I am not getting better, venerable sir. I am not comfortable. My severe pains are increasing, not lessening. There are signs of their increasing, and not of their lessening. Extreme forces slice through my head, just as if a strong man were slicing my head open with a sharp sword... Extreme pains have arisen in my head, just as if a strong man were tightening a turban on my head with a tough leather strap... Extreme forces carve up my stomach cavity, just as if an expert butcher or his apprentice were to carve up the stomach cavity of an ox with a sharp butcher's knife... There is an extreme burning in my body, just as if two strong men, seizing a weaker man with their arms, were to roast and broil him over a pit of hot embers. I am not getting better, venerable sir. I am not comfortable. My severe pains are increasing, not lessening. There are signs of their increasing, and not of their lessening."

[Ven. Sariputta:] "Then, householder, you should train yourself in this way: 'I won't cling to the eye; my consciousness will not be dependent on the eye.' That's how you should train yourself. 'I won't cling to the ear... nose... tongue... body; my consciousness will not be dependent on the body.' ... 'I won't cling to the intellect; my consciousness will not be dependent on the intellect.' That's how you should train yourself.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's another recommendation. Suitable for everyone? I don't know.
74. The purpose of the practice

Ajaan Bate, a close relative of Luang Pu's, lived at Khoke Mawn Monastery. Even though he ordained only late in life, he was extremely strict in his practice of meditation and the ascetic practices. Luang Pu once praised him, saying that his practice had gotten good results. When Ajaan Bate fell seriously ill and was near death, he said that he wanted to see Luang Pu one last time, to bid him farewell before dying. I informed Luang Pu, who went to see him. On his arrival, Ajaan Bate got up and bowed down to him and then lay back on his sleeping mat as before, without saying a word. But his smile and the happy look on his face were easy to see.

Luang Pu said to him in a voice both clear and gentle,

"All the practices you've been trying to practice are specifically meant for use at this time. When the time comes to die, make the mind one, then stop focusing and let go of everything."
http://www.dhammatalks.net/Books/Ajaan_ ... Legacy.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

Let go of negative mental states like fear and regret and cultivate wholesome mindstates like goodwill and equanimity.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

"what to do when i'm dying?" Be mindful, and start now before it is too late.

When I am sick and/or in pain these are times when I work really hard to do my meditation practice.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
alan...

Post by alan... »

kirk5a wrote:Here's one:
[Anathapindika:] "I am not getting better, venerable sir. I am not comfortable. My severe pains are increasing, not lessening. There are signs of their increasing, and not of their lessening. Extreme forces slice through my head, just as if a strong man were slicing my head open with a sharp sword... Extreme pains have arisen in my head, just as if a strong man were tightening a turban on my head with a tough leather strap... Extreme forces carve up my stomach cavity, just as if an expert butcher or his apprentice were to carve up the stomach cavity of an ox with a sharp butcher's knife... There is an extreme burning in my body, just as if two strong men, seizing a weaker man with their arms, were to roast and broil him over a pit of hot embers. I am not getting better, venerable sir. I am not comfortable. My severe pains are increasing, not lessening. There are signs of their increasing, and not of their lessening."

[Ven. Sariputta:] "Then, householder, you should train yourself in this way: 'I won't cling to the eye; my consciousness will not be dependent on the eye.' That's how you should train yourself. 'I won't cling to the ear... nose... tongue... body; my consciousness will not be dependent on the body.' ... 'I won't cling to the intellect; my consciousness will not be dependent on the intellect.' That's how you should train yourself.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's another recommendation. Suitable for everyone? I don't know.
74. The purpose of the practice

Ajaan Bate, a close relative of Luang Pu's, lived at Khoke Mawn Monastery. Even though he ordained only late in life, he was extremely strict in his practice of meditation and the ascetic practices. Luang Pu once praised him, saying that his practice had gotten good results. When Ajaan Bate fell seriously ill and was near death, he said that he wanted to see Luang Pu one last time, to bid him farewell before dying. I informed Luang Pu, who went to see him. On his arrival, Ajaan Bate got up and bowed down to him and then lay back on his sleeping mat as before, without saying a word. But his smile and the happy look on his face were easy to see.

Luang Pu said to him in a voice both clear and gentle,

"All the practices you've been trying to practice are specifically meant for use at this time. When the time comes to die, make the mind one, then stop focusing and let go of everything."
http://www.dhammatalks.net/Books/Ajaan_ ... Legacy.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
have you seen the suttas where someone is so sick and the buddha allows them to commit suicide? i think you have to be an arahant for this allowance though. perhaps this guy was not.

that sounds PERFECT. quiet discursive thought, then let go.
alan...

Post by alan... »

tiltbillings wrote:"what to do when i'm dying?" Be mindful, and start now before it is too late.

When I am sick and/or in pain these are times when I work really hard to do my meditation practice.
so no discursive thinking, just watch the pain and whatnot as you die?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

alan... wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:"what to do when i'm dying?" Be mindful, and start now before it is too late.

What more do you need to do to see the utter impermanence of one's life, to truly let go, which is more important than any warm fuzzy story or desparate pleading you can tell yourself?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
alan...

Post by alan... »

tiltbillings wrote:
alan... wrote:

What more do you need to do to see the utter impermanence of one's life, to truly let go, which is more important than any warm fuzzy story or desparate pleading you can tell yourself?
indeed. just clarifying. there is so much ambiguity because of all the differing opinions on translating the suttas and so on, wanted to make sure i understood what you were saying.

although i wonder. for the hospital bed scenario i would probably go with concentration (anapanasati or something) to keep the mind empty and then let go when near death. but for a painful death that is relatively quick i think what you suggest is the only way to go.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

alan... wrote:
although i wonder. for the hospital bed scenario i would probably go with concentration (anapanasati or something) to keep the mind empty and then let go when near death. but for a painful death that is relatively quick i think what you suggest is the only way to go.
Well, you'd better start practicing now. As one of my teachers used to say, "Keep it simple and easy."

ground

Post by ground »

alan... wrote:what are theravada instructions on this?
I guess there are instructions on mindfulness of death.

These may be interpreted as appropriate preparation for dying, to be practiced also when everything seems to be okay and there is contentment or even happiness.

Practing this mindfulness actually boils down to emulating "I am dying now."

Since "now" is continuous the question "what to do ...?" in an imagined future will evaporate.

:sage:
alan...

Post by alan... »

tiltbillings wrote:
alan... wrote:
Well, you'd better start practicing now. As one of my teachers used to say, "Keep it simple and easy."
practice what? i already practice satipatthana and have for years and i do sitting meditation every day, also for years. what does your mindfulness entail, that's where i'm at a bit of a questioning point: is it a cognitive mental process involving discursive thought or is it just pure watching? do you use a meditation object, like watching the breath all day, or is it whatever your doing?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

alan... wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:
alan... wrote:
practice what?
Whatever you feel you must practice. I know what I do, but what I do is not what you need to do just because I do it. If you cannot find a Theravadin teacher go work with the Zennies. When it comes to matters of life and death, of learning to let go, of the selfless, imperanant nature of what is, the Zennies are no less on target than anyone else.

danieLion

Post by danieLion »

alan... wrote:for the hospital bed scenario i would probably go with concentration (anapanasati or something) to keep the mind empty and then let go when near death. but for a painful death that is relatively quick i think what you suggest is the only way to go.
i just got out of the hospital with a condition associated with high incidents of fatality and Tilt is right: what you do NOW is directly proportional to how you deal with facing death LATER; when i feared, it was horrible and made more dukkha; when i was mindful and equanimous, it was at least bearable, mostly peaceful, and better for those around me; the latter mind-states would not have been possible without previous Efforts.