Access to Insight iOS App needs maintainer

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
anattasatta

Access to Insight iOS App needs maintainer

Post by anattasatta »

Hello all. I'm the one who wrote and currently publishes the Access to Insight iPhone/iPad app on the Apple App Store. (All I did was write a sort of "wrapper" application for the offline version of the A to I web site; I didn't write or contribute any content to the A to I site or place anything new in the app.)

Due to various conditions I can't really continue to maintain the application or keep it published (it will be on the app store for almost another year since I recently paid the developer account renewal fee thought the content hasn't been updated in a while), so I'd like to find someone else to maintain it and hopefully add features that people have been wanting (like enlarging the size of the text).

Ideally I'd like to pass it off to someone who can have it published on the App Store under an account owned by something like a Theravada literature foundation (for example) that would continue to make it available regardless of what happens with any individual person.

I'm not sure the app is really all that important anymore since I think you can just get a decent PDF reader like GoodReader or PDF Expert and use that to read the html version of A to I, but it still may be worth having a free and easy to install way of reading the material for those with iOS mobile devices.

if anyone has any ideas for me please let me know :thanks:
Mawkish1983

Re: Access to Insight iOS App needs maintainer

Post by Mawkish1983 »

No ideas here but I just wanted to say I use your app on my android device and it's great. Thanks for making it.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Mawkish1983 wrote:No ideas here but I just wanted to say I use your app on my android device and it's great. Thanks for making it.
seconded
:anjali: :anjali: :anjali:
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
iforgotmyname

Post by iforgotmyname »

What a coincidence finding this here. I'm willing to help out keep the Android version in check if you need help with that - I have no experience making iOS app's unfortunately and it is not something I could commit time to learning as I have quite a bit of work for the next two years at least. :(

EDIT: That said, if I find someone capable of taking care of an iOS app, I'll let you know.
Digity

Post by Digity »

I love the app. I read it on the subway constantly, but always wondered why it wasn't getting updated.
Last edited by Digity on Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Digity

Post by Digity »

Mawkish1983 wrote:No ideas here but I just wanted to say I use your app on my android device and it's great. Thanks for making it.
The Android app is from a separate developer. I volunteered to do it for Android, but never heard back from them.
iforgotmyname

Post by iforgotmyname »

Digity wrote:I'm an iOS developer and love the app. I read it on the subway constantly, but always wondered why it wasn't getting updated.

I could try and take over if you'd like. I guess we just need to sort out the accout stuff, etc.
Hi Digity, you should try emailing anattasatta or get a mod to email for you - I don't think anattasatta's checking this thread anymore.
Digity

Post by Digity »

I sent him a PM. It doesn't allow me to email him. I guess I can get in touch with the mods.
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Digity wrote:The Android app is from a separate developer
I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for letting me know.
Digity

Post by Digity »

no prob
Last edited by Digity on Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iforgotmyname

Post by iforgotmyname »

Not exactly an improvement for the iOS app, but I've always wanted to classify ATI content based on prominent character names to be able to browse the whole thing by character. We can probably do this for other criteria as well... I also want to cluster the content just to see what appears. This is no small task though... But doing this can open up some unique browsing/searching capabilities.