How are the views of Buddhadasa Bhikkhu regarded?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
tiltbillings

Re: How are the views of Buddhadasa Bhikkhu regarded?

Post by tiltbillings »

Chris wrote:Hello zerotime, Tilt,

Can you tell me please - in which verse in in MN 79 "The Shorter Discourse to Sakuludayin" does your quoted text appear?

I am having difficulty finding exactly where the Buddha has said this.

metta
Chris

See paragraph 41. It reads a bit differently, and is likely a better translation than above, but it still make the point about rebirth being seen by the Tathagata and in para 7 by one who develops sufficient jhana, and ties it neatly to the basic formula of paticcasamuppada.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

that seems like almost a totally different text to me...

Ven Dhammanado has posted about Sister Upalavanna's translations being shoddy before, anyone know why? is she not working from the pali or what?
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

jcsuperstar wrote:that seems like almost a totally different text to me...

Ven Dhammanado has posted about Sister Upalavanna's translations being shoddy before, anyone know why? is she not working from the pali or what?
They are rather quickly and roughly done, but this text was a good call for showing rebirth in the context of paticcasamupada and in terms of the Buddha's awakening.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
cooran

Post by cooran »

zerotime wrote:and please, note also: "Udayi, it’s from me, who recollect, one birth, two births...

From ME!!!
Actually Tilt ~ this is the post which is causing the comments. zerotime emphasising the two words "From ME!!!" in the 'quote'. Which are actually something the Buddha didn't say, but which came from the 'shoddy' or, alternatively, 'quickly and roughly done', translations of Sister Sister Upalavanna.

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Ben

Post by Ben »

Chris wrote:With due respect, to obviate falling into misunderstanding ... of the two translators .... I'd go with Bhikkhu Bodhi everytime.
As any intelligent person would do.
Thanks Chris

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Individual

Post by Individual »

Ben wrote:Hello Individual

Regarding SN44.10:
We should carefully heed the two reasons the Buddha does not declare 'There is no self': not because he recognizes a transcendent self of some kind (as some interpreters allege), or because he is cocerned only with delineating 'a strategy of perception' devoid of ontological implications (as others hold), but (i)because such a mode of expression was used by the annihilationists, and the Buddha wanted to avoid aligning his teaching with theirs; and (ii) because he wished to avoid causing confusion in those already attached to the idea of self. The Buddha declares that "all phenomena are nonself" (sabbe dhamma anatta), which means that if one seeks a self anywhere one will not find one. Since "all phenomena" includes both the conditioned and the unconditioned, this precludes an utterly transcendent, ineffable self.

-- Bhikkhu Bodhi, notes to Ananda Sutta (SN44.10), A translation of the Samyutta Nikaya, Wisdom
Ben
That's Bhikkhu Bodhi's opinion, but I accept Thanissaro's view.
Chris wrote: With due respect, to obviate falling into misunderstanding ... of the two translators .... I'd go with Bhikkhu Bodhi everytime.
Based on my experiences with biblical translations, it's a mistake to ever assume that any translator is absolutely trustworthy... Not that I'm suggesting Bodhi is devious, only that he may have biases, stemming from his education, culture, personal background, sectarian affiliation, etc., which can subconsciously imprint itself on his rendering of the text. Not necessarily in blatantly incompetent ways (you said Bodhi is a good translator and I'm sure he is), but such bias can be reflected in more subtle, unintentional ways: such as the preference for a more literal translation over non-literal, or vice-versa. Without learning the language, the only way to really get a perfect picture of a translation's accuracy is to compare multiple translations, while referencing the original terms used in lexicons.

So, for now, I'd agree Bhikkhu Bodhi is probably more reliable, but in the future, if we have 8 different translations available online, there's nothing that would objectively make one more or less "authoritative".
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
zerotime

Post by zerotime »

"Udayin, if someone should recollect his manifold past lives, that is, one birth, two births....thus, with their aspects and particulars, should he recollect his manifold past lives, then either he might ask me a question about the past or I might ask him a question about the past, and he might satisfy my mind with his answer to my question or I might satisfy his mind with my answer to his question. If someone with the divine eye, which is purified and surpasses the human, would see beings passing away and reappearing, inferior and superior, fair and ugly, fortunate and unfortunate...and understand how beings pass on according to their actions, then either he might ask me a question about the future or I might ask him a question about the future, and he might satisfy my mind with his answer to my question or I might satisfy his mind with my answer to his question. But let be the past, Udayin, let be the future. I shall teach you the Dhamma: When this exists, that comes to be; with the arising of this, that arises. When this does not exist, that does not come to be; with the cessation of this,that ceases."

With due respect, to obviate falling into misunderstanding ... of the two translators .... I'd go with Bhikkhu Bodhi everytime.
also normally I use the Bhikkhu Bodhi translations. However, it doesn't mean the Bhikkhu Bodhi translation are a revelation. One need apply his own effort to understanding. This passage shows how the individual recollect previous or future lives. And later the Tathagata teach "let the past and let the future, I shall teach you the Dhamma".

So the sense is pretty clear: previous lives and future lives are not the teaching of Dhamma, because the teaching of Dhamma is to get a cease and the end dukkha. Read again:

"let be the past, Udayin, let be the future. I shall teach you the Dhamma"

in this passage the recollection of lives is related with the individual. There is no difference in recollecting previous lives, previous weeks or previous years.

It is the real sense, I think. While one must be focused in the sense, then the other translation "Udāyi, it's from me, who recollect..." can be an starting point so satisfactory as "Udayin, if someone should recollect", or perhaps even better. Because the sense is that there is an individual recollecting past and future, while the teaching of Dhamma is not feeding the individual.

It would be nice knowing the pali words appearing in this phrase because maybe there is a third way still more satisfactory.

best
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

The passage stikes me since it seems to be teaching that views and thoughts about past and future are either

Not important for understanding Dhamma at all

or

Not important for some

Its also interesting since its teaching D.O. happening in the present, as in right now, and not over lives since past and future are waved aside in this passage

Just my two cents

metta
“The teacher willed that this world appear to me
as impermanent, unstable, insubstantial.
Mind, let me leap into the victor’s teaching,
carry me over the great flood, so hard to pass.”
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

clw_uk wrote:

Its also interesting since its teaching D.O. happening in the present, as in right now, and not over lives since past and future are waved aside in this passage
It happens in time and is circular.

Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Regarding Ajahn Buddhadasa and his "apparent" rebirth view Ajahn Santikaro said this

Sent: Saturday, July 11, 2009 10:58 PM
Subject: Re: Buddhadasa & Rebirth

Howdy ---

Hmmm ... I wonder who got that idea & how. I can't remember ever saying or writing such a thing, only that I've heard him talk w/ some people about the traditional understanding of rebirth, but that doesn't mean he believed. His attitude was more like "wait and see."

Best wishes.

:
Greetings Santikaro

I have been reading on the internet of your advising people Buddhadasa believed in literal rebirth.

Trusting you are well

--
In Dhamma, Santikaro

Blog at http://liberationpark.org/blog/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Santikaro is in Holland & Brazil for much of July.
Month's calendar is at http://www.liberationpark.org/cal/chical.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

clw_uk wrote:
Hmmm ... I wonder who got that idea & how. I can't remember ever saying or writing such a thing, only that I've heard him talk w/ some people about the traditional understanding of rebirth, but that doesn't mean he believed. His attitude was more like "wait and see."
In other words, he did not deny it the way many of you Buddhadasa acolytes do. The sad thing, for all of Buddhadasa's interesting things he has to say, it the acolytes' zealous anti-rebirthism that makes him look really unpleasant, especially by the unpleasant behavior as we have seen here and are seeing elsewhre. (Craig, is exmpt from the unpleasant behaviour business, but not the zealous anti-rebirthism).

kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

Chris wrote:MN 79 verse 7
What an interesting passage! I want to pull out my copy of the MN and read the whole thing to understand better the context.

From what I see here, it appears the Buddha is saying, "Asking me a question about past lives when you yourself cannot see past lives will likely result in you being unsatisfied with any answer I give you. Likewise, asking me a question about the future when you yourself cannot see kamma will likely result in similar dissatisfaction. So don't ask me such questions." But then we have the Dog-Duty Sutta in which a person asks the Buddha about the future and the Buddha answers him (there are many such conversations in the sutta). Can we infer from this that person could see kamma? I would guess not. Specifically this person asked what would be the future course for one who does a certain practice. If he could have seen kamma for himself, I would think he could have answered his own question. I can think of two reasons for the discrepancy between these two suttas.

a] The specifics of the two people's question were different. One was worthy of answering and the other was not. I will check what MN 79 says and see if this reason checks out.

b] There was a difference between the two people. For one the question was worth answering and for the other it was not worth answering. Again, I would hope the suttas would shed some light on these two people as to their differing qualities. Perhaps the person in the Dog-Duty Sutta had some ability to see kamma but not enough to answer his own question?
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

In other words, he did not deny it the way many of you Buddhadasa acolytes do. The sad thing, for all of Buddhadasa's interesting things he has to say, it the acolytes' venomous anti-rebirthism that makes him look really ugly, especially by the ugly behavior as we have seen here and are seeing elsewhre. (Craig, is exmpt from the ugly behaviour business, but not the mono-mania of anti-rebirthism).

I dont deny rebirth, its a view point that i have let go of because of the dukkha thats there

If i denied it and said "there is no rebirth after death" then this is holding a view again

Buddhas way, as i understand it, goes beyond all views, opinions and standpoints

And how is there the yoke of views? There is the case where a certain person does not discern, as it actually is present, the origination, the passing away, the allure, the drawbacks, & the escape from views. When he does not discern, as it actually is present, the origination, the passing away, the allure, the drawbacks, & the escape from views, then — with regard to views — he is obsessed with view-passion, view-delight, view-attraction, view-infatuation, view-thirst, view-fever, view-fascination, view-craving. This is the yoke of sensuality, the yoke of becoming, & the yoke of views.

"Monks, there are these seven obsessions.1 Which seven?

"(1) The obsession of sensual passion.

"(2) The obsession of resistance.

"(3) The obsession of views.

"(4) The obsession of uncertainty.

"(5) The obsession of conceit.

"(6) The obsession of passion for becoming.

"(7) The obsession of ignorance.

"These are the seven obsessions."

(next sutta)

Monks, with the abandoning & destruction of the seven obsessions, the holy life is fulfilled. Which seven? The obsession of sensual passion, the obsession of resistance, the obsession of views, the obsession of uncertainty, the obsession of conceit, the obsession of passion for becoming, the obsession of ignorance. With the abandoning & destruction of these seven obsessions, the holy life is fulfilled.

"When, for a monk, the obsession of sensual passion has been abandoned, its root destroyed, made like a palmyra stump, deprived of the conditions of development, not destined for future arising; when, for him, the obsession of resistance... the obsession of views... the obsession of uncertainty... the obsession of conceit... the obsession of passion for becoming... the obsession of ignorance has been abandoned, its root destroyed, made like a palmyra stump, deprived of the conditions of development, not destined for future arising: this is called a monk who has cut through craving, has turned away from the fetter, and — by rightly breaking through conceit — has put an end to suffering & stress."

metta :)
Last edited by Ceisiwr on Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

clw_uk wrote:

In other words, he did not deny it the way many of you Buddhadasa acolytes do. The sad thing, for all of Buddhadasa's interesting things he has to say, it the acolytes' venomous anti-rebirthism that makes him look really ugly, especially by the ugly behavior as we have seen here and are seeing elsewhre. (Craig, is exmpt from the ugly behaviour business, but not the mono-mania of anti-rebirthism).

I dont deny rebirth, its a view point that i have let go of because of the dukkha thats there
But then you do go on and on and on and on and on to try to prove that your point of view is the truly true correct way to understand the Dhamma. Who are you trying to convince? I
If i denied it and said "there is no rebirth after death" then this is holding a view again
You are still holding a view about rebirth, of which you are trying to convince others by your repeated "argumentation" here.
Buddhas way, as i understand it, goes beyond all views, opinions and standpoints
Sure, but you are still holding tons of views, and the Buddha used views to teach, and just because something is a view does not mean it is not true.

Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Hey Tilt

But then you do go on and on and on and on and on to try to prove that your point of view is the truly true correct way to understand the Dhamma. Who are you trying to convince? I
At first i did yes but since my retreat i have calmed down in that respect, the postings on ZFI was just because i felt like giving my own opinion on it and sharing it (the rest was just in response to your good self :) )

You are still holding a view about rebirth, of which you are trying to convince others by your repeated "argumentation" here.
I dont have a view of rebirth or no rebirth, for myself personally i let that go, the view i have at the moment is just the Four Noble Truths (as well as some wordly political ones)

Sure, but you are still holding tons of views, and the Buddha used views to teach, and just because something is a view does not mean it is not true.
I agree, i still have lots connected with my communist days and yes he did use views to teach but as a raft and we should practice to let go of them not hold them

"and just because something is a view does not mean it is not true"

I agree

metta