To buy hardcopy or print e-Dhammabooks

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
Individual

Re: To buy hardcopy or print e-Dhammabooks

Post by Individual » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:15 pm

jcsuperstar wrote:i want that book (ADL) in print so i dont have to pay 30 something bux for it....
It's good to buy the book, in the same sense as dana. It's not an obligation, but it's a fitting thing to do. Similarly, various Buddhist centers offer free meditation sessions and retreats, and there's no obligation... But still, they need to pay the bills somehow, and they primarily do that through donations.

I am zealously opposed to copyright in general, of religious material in particular, but if you can pay for a hard copy of a dhamma book, you should.

Also, buying a hard copy ensures the integrity of the text -- that it hasn't been altered in some way.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra

DNS
Site Admin

Re: To buy hardcopy or print e-Dhammabooks

Post by DNS » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:44 pm

I heard that you can print e-books by sending the PDF file to a print shop. You can just e-mail the print shop a copy of the PDF and they can print and bind it.

So I did some checking with a popular print shop here in the U.S. (online):

http://www.fedex.com/us/office/copyprin ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I tested it by putting in my book (in the order form) and it came to an estimated cost of $39 USD, but that could be because it is 444 pages long. A shorter e-book would cost much less.