Did Arthur C. Clarke say this?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
SarathW

Re: Did Arthur C. Clarke say this?

Post by SarathW »

I like to buy the book. Could someone help me.

Is it Childhood's end (Del Rey mpact)

or Childhood's end (1970)

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Well the Del Rey one is definitely it, because that's a sci-fi publisher set up by Mr. Del Rey.

The other one may or may not be it, based on what limited info you've provided there.

Alternatively, just try 2nd hand book shops - that's where most of my ACC collection came from.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Thanks Retro :)
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

*sigh* Clarke was such an optimist. If only the race were as smart as he credits.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I think Clarke is a realist. So is the Buddha.
If you are young enough to live till 2050 you will realise this yourself.
If that is the case please print this post and keep it with you. :)
Remember, the main difference between Buddhism and all other major religions is the teaching of Anatta.
That is the tipping point!
:sage:
soapy3

Post by soapy3 »

tiltbillings wrote:I am not making out that Clarke was pro-Buddhist; rather, he had a rather interesting insight into the Buddhist origins, in that they were dependent upon the teachings of a particular man without the need for resurrections, miracles, and ascensions into heaven and such.
Rebirth and nibanna for most people would seem to fit into the same boxes as resurrections and ascensions. More life than this one, and a spiritual evolution to be had.

It is not to say that the supernatural stuff is not to be found in the suttas, but one can strip it away and still be left with something deeply profound.
That seems like a fantastic way to distinguish Theravada from other religions. What is left once you strip out all of the supernatural? I think many other religions would at least collections of stories/myths that would contain valuable life advice if those stories were taken as metaphors. I don't know enough about world religions, but it seems that Theravada would have a unified message left after the other elements were burned off. Maybe Christianity too if people decided to burn everything away, consider Christ to be a man or a collection of men, keeping only his ethical advice.
soapy3

Post by soapy3 »

David Snyder posted a summary of Pew research data in another thread that is projecting that Islam will become the dominant religion in the world in the years to come.
soapy3

Post by soapy3 »

I read the summary of Childhood's End on Wikipedia. I think I might have read it as a small child. I remember reading a story about aliens who resembled demons who couldn't spiritually evolve themselves. It seems like Rodenberry ripped off some big elements of this story for his series "Earth: Final Conflict". Benign alien invaders solving the world's problems, but people getting uppity about humanity stagnating.
Caodemarte

Post by Caodemarte »

I was an acquaintance of Arthur C. Clarke in the late 80s. He was basically Sri Lanka's only international celebrity and people were also grateful for his contributions to Sri Lanka's use of technology. He was not a Buddhist in any way (not that anyone claims he was). He told me, rather amusedly, that the hierarchy was not terribly pleased and was rather nonplussed by him and the statements about Buddhism in the books.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I thought of bumping this old post after listening to Ven. Vijithananda.
In many of his Dhamma talks, he criticise the Buddhist with nationalistic identity (eg: Sri Lankan Buddhist), and the Buddhist who think that they are better than other religions. His main criticism is about the people who are wearing labels rather than practicing the religion.

The question I have is whether the world has become less nationalistic and less religious hence more inclined towards a religion like Buddhism.
Assuming Arthur C Clarke said what is in OP, are their any signs that Buddhism is appealing to the modern wold.
Are there any signs the world is becoming less materialistic?
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Sri Lankan forest monk predicts the destruction of the world by the nuclear war on 22nd September 2030 at 3.42 Am Sri Lankan time.
Then he predicts the emergence of the one world king (Sakviti) and governs the world according to Buddha's teaching by the year 2050.
It appears a billion people will die and only a handful will service.
According to him, that is the end of this un-civilization and a new civilized society will emerge.
Basically, he says that he confirms the prediction of Arthur C. Clarke.
The video is in the Sinhalese language,
:shrug:

SteRo

Post by SteRo »

The path of prediction?
:rofl:
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

SteRo wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:44 pm The path of prediction?
:rofl:
Agree doesn't much like a Buddhist monk.

:D
His argument is that all civilizations have died in the past.
it is natural to die this one too.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

World's youngest professor said that he can't see a soul but he thinks that we have a consciousness.
He is about 10 years old now and was born to a Muslim family.
He said that he read all books on major religions.
Spiritual Dialogues | Soborno Isaac & Dr. Ding-Jo H. Currie | Fullerton University