a new beginning

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
knitted

a new beginning

Post by knitted »

I have been running a consulting business for over 6 years as a sole trader. I am in the process of being head hunted for a partnership, a project that would likely see me through to a decent retirment age. A good career and financial move.

It would involve moving to a new town. Sell up. Change of school for my son.

It will be sad to leave all the friends and networks that we have.

Is it time to be non-attached? But what should I be non attached about? Our current home, friends, networks, comfort or my career and this new opportunity. How does one reconcile the choices?
SarathW

Re: a new beginning

Post by SarathW »

Hi Knitted
I think I can relate to you and had similar issues. Nonattachment does not mean running away from home.
You just live like a normal :D man.
Buddha also had an unpaid job as a teacher.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
barcsimalsi

Post by barcsimalsi »

knitted wrote: Is it time to be non-attached? But what should I be non attached about? Our current home, friends, networks, comfort or my career and this new opportunity. How does one reconcile the choices?
That is not being non-attached, but rather a choice between being satisfy with the present or demanding for more.
From typical Buddhist advice, Annica tells us what we have now are insecure while craving will leads to Dukkha when things does not turn up as expected.
Anyway best wish to your choice!
knitted

Post by knitted »

Perhaps some more background would help.

I am now 50. So, I am a senior practitioner in my field. I currently work alone, but for my professional development (and keeping up to date) I need colleagues. It is a lonely enterprise, and at times very boring. The way I am working is not sustainable. Change is required.

It is a big call to move away. All is settled now.

My wife supports me.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Greeting knitted and welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

I have done the interstate move a number of times. Most recently, four years ago to Tasmania from the mainland in support of my wife's career and education opportunities for my kids.
I'm sure I don't have to tell you that if you are considering a major move like the one you are considering, then you weigh the benefits against the impacts. The most beneficial option should then reveal itself to you.
I wish you all the best with the decision you have before you. And in answer to your question - ideally, one shouldn't be attached to anything. But, until we become enlightened, we will have to work with our own delusions and attachments.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
puppha

Post by puppha »

Hi knitted,

You might want to consider this book: "Smart Choices" by Hammond, Keeney and Raiffa.
This covers exactly your situation.

With Metta