Not wanting to be off-topic elsewhere

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Not wanting to be off-topic elsewhere

Post by DNS »

Jay1 wrote:The response was that no I am wrong because Buddhism could not ignite violence and no-one could murder in the name of Buddhism but they could in the name of the Christian god. Hence my posts on Japane's Buddhism and its relationship to ww2.
There are good Christians and there are bad Christians.
There are good Buddhists and there are bad Buddhists.

Who would Jesus bomb?
Who would Buddha bomb?

The actions of a few bad ones don't extend to the founder.
Jay1

Post by Jay1 »

Last edited by Jay1 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SDC

Post by SDC »

:zzz:
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Jay1

Post by Jay1 »

Last edited by Jay1 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Okay, point taken: some Buddhists are bad. Anything else?
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

No, I don't agree with you (Jay1). I agree with LY that those superstitious things are essential in many other religions, not Buddhism. The Dhamma is about suffering and the way out of suffering.
Jay1

Post by Jay1 »

David N. Snyder wrote:No, I don't agree with you (Jay1). I agree with LY that those superstitious things are essential in many other religions, not Buddhism. The Dhamma is about suffering and the way out of suffering.
Sure. I have other things I need to do right now and so little time. So let's settle on disagreeing on the Christian part, although we do agree that Buddhism as whole is not exempt, cool :)
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Either you're trolling, something I find very likely reading your posts; or you didn't form a correct logical argument, because I never said buddhism was exempt from violence.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
Jay1

Post by Jay1 »

Modus.Ponens wrote:Either you're trolling, something I find very likely reading your posts; or you didn't form a correct logical argument, because I never said buddhism was exempt from violence.
"The buddhist inquisition is well known. "
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
Jay1

Post by Jay1 »

Oh, I see, I am a troll because I disagree. Please forgive me for pointing out that Buddhism is not special, it has its extraordinary beliefs and its violent followers just like any religion. How hard can it be for yal to understand this simple fact? I will continue on my Buddhist path as before* but this site is obviously filled with, albeit well-meaning, ignorant people. Honestly, I've met more humble, reasonable atheists in atheist's forums!

I guess, :namaste:

* Thankfully, I realized the truth of the Buddhist's teachings before I joined this site.
manas

Post by manas »

Jay1 wrote:... I will continue on my Buddhist path as before* but this site is obviously filled with, albeit well-meaning, ignorant people...

:namaste:

* Thankfully, I realized the truth of the Buddhist's teachings before I joined this site.
Jay, you're welcome here like anyone else is (so long as they follow the T.O.S.), but I'd be careful about saying things like this. As you are familiar with the Buddha's teachings, you would also know that the Buddha was in favour of good manners and etiquette. I've been interested in (and, in my own imperfect way, cultivating) the Dhamma over about 20 years, yet I find that here there are many people who know a lot more about it than I do. 'Ignorant' is not the right word.

:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
LonesomeYogurt

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

Jay1 wrote:Oh, I see, I am a troll because I disagree. Please forgive me for pointing out that Buddhism is not special, it has its extraordinary beliefs and its violent followers just like any religion. How hard can it be for yal to understand this simple fact? I will continue on my Buddhist path as before* but this site is obviously filled with, albeit well-meaning, ignorant people. Honestly, I've met more humble, reasonable atheists in atheist's forums!

I guess, :namaste:

You're not pointing out that Buddhism "isn't special"; you're trying to equate Buddhism and Christianity as being equally flawed or superstitious or violent or destructive, and you're doing it in a weirdly tone-deaf manner. You're more than welcome to challenge or criticize us, but posting common-knowledge facts about types of Buddhism none of us practice or just calling us arrogant is not the way to do it.

The fact is, Buddhism is less violent and superstitious, both in theory and in practice, than Christianity. I'll change my mind when you can show me the verse in the Dhammapada where the Buddha says, "As surely as I live forever, when I sharpen my flashing sword and my hand grasps it in judgment, I will take vengeance on my adversaries and repay those who hate me. will make my arrows drunk with blood, while my sword devours flesh: the blood of the slain and the captives, the heads of the enemy leaders," like your God did in Deuteronomy; when you find a discourse where the Buddha prescribes the death penalty for disobedient children or homosexuals, I promise I'll redact the statement.

As for superstition, it's true that both our religions have holdovers from a time where people did not understand how the world really worked - the difference is that Buddhism has largely abandoned those things while most Christians haven't. If you are a Christian and you have abandoned the 6,000 year-old Earth or the virgin birth or many of the other untrue statements in the Bible, then I commend you! But sadly, you're in the minority.

So please, continue to constructively criticize anything we say, really - but don't pretend that Buddhism has anything close to the history of violence, oppression, and hatred that other religions or Gods that you follow do.
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
Kamran

Post by Kamran »

Legend, myth, and magic make for a better story than technical concepts of meditation theory.

It seems to me a lot was added in order to popularize what would otherwise be technical, psychological material.

The Buddha's awakening, for instance, if told as an encounter with Mara is much more accessible and vivid than if described as a process of gaining insight into the casual chain of "dependent arising" :)
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

tiltbillings wrote:
The clip is really brief. Does anyone know what season and episode this is?
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710