Hello. May all living beings be happy.

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Dewgong

Hello. May all living beings be happy.

Post by Dewgong »

In searching for an answer to a question I had about my object of meditation, I found this place and promptly decided to sign up. I'm a 22 year old from Seattle, WA, USA, though I'm currently enrolled at Western Washington University in Bellingham, WA. I'll be graduating this spring with a degree in Psychology :toast: . I'm not sure what will come of it yet, but I hope to enjoy the journey.
I've been meditating since the fall of 2010, but with no real teacher. I only found a direction for focus more recently, that being Vipassana, but for now just awareness of breath. I was attracted to it for its simplicity and overt openness. Most of my learning so far has been online and somewhat solitary, so I am happy and grateful to have found this place. Just in writing this I feel more a part of the Sangha than I ever have before. Following my graduation I hope to attend my first Vipassana 10-day retreat, I've heard they can be quite the experience.
Thank you in advance for the help to found in this community.
May all living beings be happy, may all living beings be free from suffering, may all living beings find peace and well being.
LonesomeYogurt

Re: Hello. May all living beings be happy.

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

Ah Bellingham, great town! I'm from Seattle myself originally.

Have you tried to go to the Bellingham Insight Meditation Society meetings? It's a great little club, and sometimes they get some pretty wise monks to come through and teach as well. I would really recommend it!

It would be too long for regular visits, but you might also consider a trip to Wat Atammayatarama in Woodinville, Washington. The monks there are very nice and you could take the precepts/refuges with them, which is always nice and encouraging.

I hope you find this little forum of use! It's always good to see another person coming to Buddhism in the Pacific Northwest :)
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
plwk

Post by plwk »

:hello:
Dewgong

Post by Dewgong »

I have been to a few meetings in the past, but not recently. The Red Ceder Dharma Hall is actually just down the street from where I currently live. Great suggestions, I'll have to look into that other place also (the name escapes me as I can't see it while I'm writing).
LonesomeYogurt

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

Dewgong wrote:I have been to a few meetings in the past, but not recently. The Red Ceder Dharma Hall is actually just down the street from where I currently live. Great suggestions, I'll have to look into that other place also (the name escapes me as I can't see it while I'm writing).
Atamma is definitely a great place. Also, Paññobhāsa Bhikkhu lives in the Bellingham area as well; perhaps try contacting him if you'd like: http://www.nippapanca.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

:hello:

:toast:
cooran

Post by cooran »

Welcome Dewgong! :group:

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome Dewgong!

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Welcome!
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
Dewgong

Post by Dewgong »

LonesomeYogurt wrote:Atamma is definitely a great place. Also, Paññobhāsa Bhikkhu lives in the Bellingham area as well; perhaps try contacting him if you'd like: http://www.nippapanca.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There is some interesting stuff in this link, I'm enjoying going through it, thank you. It's funny, I think I have met this guy before at a past meeting at Red Cedar. I still have a copy of his translated Atthakavagga on my bookshelf.
waimengwan

Post by waimengwan »

Welcome may all your efforts on DW be beneficial and speed you on your way.