Saudi preacher gets fine & short jail term

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
plwk

Saudi preacher gets fine & short jail term

Post by plwk »

Public anger has gripped Saudi Arabia after a prominent preacher who raped and beat to death his 5-year-old daughter was sentenced to a few months in jail and a $50,000 fine – known as 'blood money' – to compensate the victim's relatives. More here
Dan74

Re: Saudi preacher gets fine & short jail term

Post by Dan74 »

What a tragedy!

Poor little kid...

It does seem to be a broken society, a broken culture. A Bangladeshi friend of mind who spent some years in Saudi Arabia has horrible memories of the place.

I hope some momentum builds for the people who want to change their culture and system for the better to take this step. I also hope the US will stop propping up this horrible regime.
_/|\_
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Dan74 wrote:I also hope the US will stop propping up this horrible regime.
Sadly, one has to consider what would take its place.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
shaunc

Post by shaunc »

How sad.
poto

Post by poto »

Dan74 wrote: I also hope the US will stop propping up this horrible regime.
It's not so much the US as it is their oil money that keeps them afloat. The shale gas boom here in the US has already cut our foreign oil dependency by quite a lot and that trend will continue. Unfortunately, China will no doubt be there to pick up the slack and keep the Saudis rolling, much like they are doing with Iran.

Eventually their oil will run out and their economy will collapse, as they have no real industry or other resources to fall back on. Only then I think will there be an opportunity for change. Still, that's likely some decades off and some of us may not live long enough to see it.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C. S. Lewis
robertk

Post by robertk »

Most of the Saudi people I have met are very family oriented so not sure that this man is being held up in Saudi as an inspiration for society.