How do i write letter to monastery?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Gena1480

How do i write letter to monastery?

Post by Gena1480 »

Hello to all i would like to write a letter to a monastery
but never wrote a letter before.
what should i include in the letter
how is it to be formed.
if anyone wrote letter to a monastery before
maybe some can send me a copy so i can use it as an example.
SDC

Re: How do i write letter to monastery?

Post by SDC »

I've emailed a monastery.

Be polite and honest...all I can think to say.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Sokehi

Post by Sokehi »

SDC is right... just be honest, use your own words... be kind and don't try to be something that you aren't... all the best.
Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

https://www.youtube.com/user/Repeataarrr
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

What are you writing for?
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Gena1480

Post by Gena1480 »

i want to write Wat Pah Nanachat
and ask permission if i can stay there for a month.
and what date is best to fly there.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Gena1480 wrote:i want to write Wat Pah Nanachat
if I were you I would have some dates to suggest.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Sokehi

Post by Sokehi »

Gena1480 wrote:i want to write Wat Pah Nanachat
Yes just write the guest monk, he can inform you what time of the year would be best. Usually as far as I experienced many laymen from the west come and go. The maximum time for you to stay in the monastery is one month anyways. After this you either have to leave or you "ordain" as an Anagarika. Depends if the monastery thinks you are suitable.

All this is based is on my experiences 10 years ago, so it might be different today.

For the weather I'd suggest you go there in November, December... it's not to hot then. But this info any other available Thailand-Travel-Guide might grand you.
Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

https://www.youtube.com/user/Repeataarrr