Man with no brain

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
danieLion

Re: Man with no brain

Post by danieLion »

Missed you Ñāṇa. Where ya' been--if you don't mind?
Nyana

Post by Nyana »

I've been around.... :smile:
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

His handle slips my mind at the moment, but im pretty sure that no brain guy is a regular poster here.

So if man is made in the image of god, does this mean god has no brain?

Ok, wait a minute, does this mean god is posting here?
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
Viscid

Post by Viscid »

gavesako wrote:This is from Ven. Thanissaro:
Thanks for that. Part of the motivation I have for meditating is due to my family's history of Alzheimer's disease. Rather than being confused and anxious because I can no longer cognitively function as capably I once did, I'd rather train myself to maintain control regardless of how much function my brain is capable of. Dementia is awful.. and if I am at a high risk of developing it, I should prepare myself. Mindfulness is, perhaps, the best method of doing so.
"What holds attention determines action." - William James
Alobha

Man with no brain has a brain

Post by Alobha »

barcsimalsi wrote:
The Expectation of Evolution is Just Plain Wrong!
But the belief that brain size and weight must be related to intelligence is essential to the evolutionists supposition that man arose from apelike ancestors, this belief is the core of evolutionary thinking, it is the tree on which the paleontologists hang the transition from ape to man. This expectation-prediction of evolution, is totally contrary to the observations, it's just pain wrong. Man does not have just an unusually large and complex animal brain, A large brain is not what makes man unique, nor is it what makes man human.
Of course nobody in science believes that a bigger brain means more intelligence. male brains weight more in average than female brains, yet there are no systematic differences in cognitive abilities because of that. Some animals have brains much larger than us (like the sperm whale has a brain that weights about 17.5 pounds) - yet they don't have incredible cognitive abilities compared to humans.

I talked to a Biopsychology Professor about the "Man with no brain" a few years ago. His explanation was quite simple: as you can see, there still is brainmass on the outline around the waterbubble / near the skull. He said that in these medical cases the brain simple got very condensed so that all the functions fit in in one place. Could be seen like a sponge: You can squeeze it into quite a tiny size and the sponge would still be in one piece. Cases like these don't mean that mind and brain are seperate as there still is a very condensed brain that can function just like a normal-sized brain.