Female monks cause a stir - Bangkok Post

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
GraemeR

Post by GraemeR »

Mr Man wrote:It's rather an odd litle article with no explanation - A bit like the sighting of a UFO or the Loch Ness monster.
I think some Thai men consider seeing nuns in orange robes is about as strange as seeing the Loch Ness Monster!

You need to consider it in the context of Thai culture :)

Graham
Mr Man

Re: Female monks cause a stir - Bangkok Post

Post by Mr Man »

GraemeR wrote:
Mr Man wrote:It's rather an odd litle article with no explanation - A bit like the sighting of a UFO or the Loch Ness monster.
I think some Thai men consider seeing nuns in orange robes is about as strange as seeing the Loch Ness Monster!

You need to consider it in the context of Thai culture :)

Graham

But don't you think the Bangkok Post could have demystified the story a bit Graham? They have had bhikkhuni related stories before.
GraemeR

Post by GraemeR »

Mr Man wrote:But don't you think the Bangkok Post could have demystified the story a bit Graham? They have had bhikkhuni related stories before.
Mr Man,

The Bangkok Post is doing it a little tongue in cheek. It is written for ex-pats familiar with the context, so they have made no effort to clarify the issues. :thinking:

I love to comment by the shop holder about wanting to make her daughter into a nun! :sage:

With metta,

Graham
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

In Bangkok this is still a rare and possibly confusing sight, but in some other parts of Thailand there are places in which both the white-robed mae chee and the brown-robed samaneri / bhikkhuni have been collecting almsfood regularly on the streets. In northern Thailand, south of Chiang Mai, there is probably the biggest training center for bhikkhunis called Nirotharam.

พีธีบรรพชาสามเณรี นิโรธาราม ที่ ศรีลังกา

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IAunaddlHA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt74beuecuQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMXmTL9Y-AI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This video shows the Pabbajja ordination in Sri Lanka of a group of Thai samaneris from Wat Nirotharam, Chom Tong, Chiang Mai. At the end of the first part, they first ordain with the Bhikkhuni-sangha. Then in the second part, they go to another monastery to ordain with the Bhikkhu-sangha as well (accompanied by some drummers -- this is almost like a Tibetan oracle ceremony!). The group is led by Bhikkhuni Nandanyani who is a very confident Dhamma teacher in her own right. At the end of the third part, a senior monk from Sri Lanka comes to Thailand to offer a small Bodhi tree sapling to Wat Nirotharam.

About the senior monks in Chiang Mai: Ven Nandanyani is accepted by them as a Theravada bhikkhuni. The district head monk spoke about this explicitly. He mentioned gratitude to Sri Lanka for restoring the bhikkhuni lineage in Thailand, as had been done for the bhikkhu lineage in past. He spoke of how the Mahayana had been replete in borisat-si (4 assemblies) and that it is a blessing for the present and future of Buddhism in Thailand if the borisat-si be replete with bhikkhunis who are replete in sila (which he explained meant patimokkha sila), samadhi (which he said Ajahn Nandayani is very good with) and panna (which he said she is also very good with as a Dhamma teacher). He said that to be replete for the blessing and welfare of the long life of Sasana and to fulfill the Buddha's Teaching, that the Nirotharam bhikkhunis should learn and practice Vinaya well, in addition to their being good in samadhi and panna.

Ven Nanthayani has arranged for her community to be having an intensive study course for the sake of further Vinaya learning of the whole community. She very much hopes and aspires that some bhikkhus who are knowledgeable and well discipled in Vinaya and well disciplined Thai monastic customs will come to visit Nirotharam, or some educational/training arrangement can be made such that they can learn, so that she can be sure that their training and practice is replete and that they are fully living as an blessing to the Sasana. See http://www.nirotharam.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

พิธียกฉัตร อัญเชิญพระบรมสารีริกธาตุ @ นิโรธาราม (ceremony presided by LP Thong Sirimangalo)
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 759&type=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
Sekha

Post by Sekha »

Does it all stem from ajahn Brahm's decision?

I hope in the end everybody will agree and there will not remain opposed factions
Where knowledge ends, religion begins. - B. Disraeli

http://www.buddha-vacana.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

aren't there a small number of Bhikkhuni in Thailand already? ordained originally in the Dharmagumpta lineage but follow the Theravada vinaya?
maybe they are from there??????
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
GraemeR

Post by GraemeR »

Cittasanto wrote:aren't there a small number of Bhikkhuni in Thailand already? ordained originally in the Dharmagumpta lineage but follow the Theravada vinaya?
maybe they are from there??????
From my understanding the linage was broken, as only a abbess, not an abbot, could ordain nuns, so it stopped in Thailand, though not in other Buddhist countries.

There are however nuns ordained in other countries in Thailand and also some ordained in Thailand, though the majority of the male Sangha don't recognise them. Hence this article, which may appear bizarre to a western reader.

Some nuns I have met were ordained as Mahayana (perhaps also Dhamagupta) in Vietnam. Some were ordained in Western countries.

http://www.iwmcf.org/IWMC.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; This is one centre.

Graham
GraemeR

Post by GraemeR »

gavesako wrote:In Bangkok this is still a rare and possibly confusing sight, but in some other parts of Thailand there are places in which both the white-robed mae chee and the brown-robed samaneri / bhikkhuni have been collecting almsfood regularly on the streets. In northern Thailand, south of Chiang Mai, there is probably the biggest training center for bhikkhunis called Nirotharam.
Dear Ven Gavesako,

I think the difference here is the nuns in Bkk were in saffron robes.

I have never seen nuns in white robes (8 precept) doing an alms round in the areas I have lived, so it as interesting to see the video. Some nunnerys don't practice alms round at all.

I didn't think nuns were ordained with brown robes (10 precept) in Thailand.

As I recall nuns in Britain were ordained and wore brown robes, but voluntarily followed the full 227 precepts the same as the monks. Perhaps you could clarify this.

With metta,

Graham
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

The Siladhara in England follow the basic 10 precepts (like a Samanera/Samaneri novice) plus some other selected guidelines from the Vinaya.

In Thailand, there are already several centers where Samaneris or Bhikkhunis live, scattered in different provinces. The problem is that most of them do not offer any formal training so there might be widely different Vinaya standards and conventions followed in those places. In Songkhla, south Thailand, there is one center where the Bhikkhunis and also white-robed Mae Chee go regularly on almsround.

The well-known place in Nakhon Pathom, near Bangkok, is where Bhikkhuni Dhammananda lives and she has been quite prominent also in the Thai media. They also go out on pindapata like this. See http://www.thaibhikkhunis.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
Anagarika

Post by Anagarika »

About the senior monks in Chiang Mai: Ven Nandanyani is accepted by them as a Theravada bhikkhuni. The district head monk spoke about this explicitly. He mentioned gratitude to Sri Lanka for restoring the bhikkhuni lineage in Thailand, as had been done for the bhikkhu lineage in past. He spoke of how the Mahayana had been replete in borisat-si (4 assemblies) and that it is a blessing for the present and future of Buddhism in Thailand if the borisat-si be replete with bhikkhunis who are replete in sila (which he explained meant patimokkha sila), samadhi (which he said Ajahn Nandayani is very good with) and panna (which he said she is also very good with as a Dhamma teacher). He said that to be replete for the blessing and welfare of the long life of Sasana and to fulfill the Buddha's Teaching, that the Nirotharam bhikkhunis should learn and practice Vinaya well, in addition to their being good in samadhi and panna.
Bhante, this is really good news. I would have guessed, and been wrong, that the Thai Sangha Council would not have permitted such an endorsement from the district head Bhikkhu. I am very glad that you shared this information. I look to be in Chiang Mai region this year, and I'm going to make effort to visit Wat Nirotharam when there.