jhana pre buddhist, hinduism today and so on.

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
rahul3bds

Re: jhana pre buddhist, hinduism today and so on.

Post by rahul3bds »

all of the shramanas before and during the Buddha's time did?
How do you think shramanas could have come up with something interesting to redicule the "thoughtles vedic mumbo jumbo" without resorting to samadhi?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

rahul3bds wrote:
all of the shramanas before and during the Buddha's time did?
How do you think shramanas could have come up with something interesting to redicule the "thoughtles vedic mumbo jumbo" without resorting to samadhi?
The Vedas were a product of the Brahmins, not the anti-Vedic shramanas.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
rahul3bds

Post by rahul3bds »

where did i say that? read crefully.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

rahul3bds wrote:where did i say that? read crefully.
You did not say it -- The Vedas were a product of the Brahmins, not the anti-Vedic shramanas -- I did, and the reason I said it is because that is the history of your country.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
rahul3bds

Post by rahul3bds »

by "something interesting" i meant Amoralism Fatalism Materialism Eternalism and all not the veda. or could you elaborate your stand a bit?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

rahul3bds wrote:by "something interesting" i meant Amoralism Fatalism Materialism Eternalism and all not the veda. or could you elaborate your stand a bit?
At this point I shall bow out.

rahul3bds

Post by rahul3bds »

i was just stating the fact that in order to gain popularity anti vedic shramanas had to resort to samadhi to downplay the vedic authority.