Roles

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Cittasanto

Roles

Post by Cittasanto »

Looking through some of the subscriptions I have on Youtube I came across this video.
And although there are allot of topics which could stem from this, and certainly some thoughts for reflection.

I would like to focus on what is said around male identity at about 09:12 and the internet at 20:10.

[Warning]There are some "vulgar" words[/Warning]

I would like this to relate to the recent thread "Too many male mods here and no woman section" as much as possible, but not discuss the necessity of a new forum that thread is looking for specifically.
[Edit - removed title due to it not being the correct title]
Last edited by Cittasanto on Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
daverupa

Re: Roles

Post by daverupa »

Interesting video.

re: male identity at about 09:12 -
AN 5.200 wrote:"Furthermore, there is the case where the mind of a monk, when attending to self-identity, doesn't leap up at self-identity, doesn't grow confident, steadfast, or released in self-identity. But when attending to the cessation of self-identity, his mind leaps up at the cessation of self-identity, grows confident, steadfast, & released in the cessation of self-identity. When his mind is rightly-gone, rightly developed, has rightly risen above, gained release, and become disjoined from self-identity, then whatever fermentations, torments, & fevers there are that arise in dependence on self-identity, he is released from them. He does not experience that feeling. This is expounded as the escape from self-identity.
AN 3.2 wrote:"Thus, monks, you should train yourselves: 'We will avoid the three things that, endowed with which, one is to be recognized as a fool. We will undertake & maintain the three things that, endowed with which, one is to be recognized as a wise person.' That's how you should train yourselves."
AN 3.100 wrote:When he is rid of them there remain in him the fine impurities: thoughts of his caste, thoughts of his home district, thoughts related to not wanting to be despised. These he abandons, destroys, dispels, wipes out of existence.
There's something to be said for the brahamcara upasaka lifestyle, in terms of ridding oneself of all of this.

---

With respect to internet enclaves at 20:10, we are advised to follow and adhere to the wise, which isn't tied to gender. The discussion here seems to revolve around troubling social issues, but the solution is the same everywhere...
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

daverupa wrote:Interesting video.
""""""""
There's something to be said for the brahamcara upasaka lifestyle, in terms of ridding oneself of all of this.
This one was by far the most thought provoking of the videos by her I have seen recently.
Thanks for the quotes, and I agree with your ending comment, but how much subtle "manness" is not being recognised and clung too without realising?

I am currently gathering my thoughts on this at the moment so will post these later on.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

One of my former professors (and he wrote a letter of recommendation for me when I applied to grad school).

Dr. Eric Mankowski's publications.

His specialty is Men's Studies.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

danieLion wrote:One of my former professors (and he wrote a letter of recommendation for me when I applied to grad school).

Dr. Eric Mankowski's publications.

His specialty is Men's Studies.
Thanks DanieLion,
Any specific publication you have in mind?

John Stuart Mill
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Positive Male Attitude 09:12
From my own experience, and observation I don't believe that this is different in any substantial way for anyone. However a good esteem level is better and (I may add) the starting goal of practice.

A Male Retreat 20:10
Although for me personally I value logic, preciseness, and the rest more than what "feels right" or matches what I would like to be - "Go to the source of light, rather than a reflection" - someone's sensitivities should not stop questioning, or pointing out other views or relevant points. but this requires a willingness to put aside "stuff" and "patience" to look at and accept others mistakes or our perception that there are and listen, as well as speak.

John Stuart Mill
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Dave,

Thanks for the sutta extracts.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."