Am I doing it wrong?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
PaulC

Re: Am I doing it wrong?

Post by PaulC »

You understand my point. It is frustrating to see a process of unbecoming turned into a process of becoming.
It IS profoundly ironic.

*smiles*
Individual

Post by Individual »

One of my most favorite passages from the Tipitaka.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"I won't hover over you like a potter over damp, unbaked clay goods. Scolding again & again, I will speak. Urging you on again & again, I will speak. Whatever is of essential worth will remain."
The Buddha is saying here: I won't attempt to shape your ego for the sake of mine, but will always give useful advice, as a friend.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
PaulC

Post by PaulC »

The sutta isn't included in my 3-volume Nyanamoli MN ... So many thanks for drawing my attention to it, Individual.

I wondered about the choice of "scold". Piya Tan translates it as "admonish" which seems a little less harsh (in the context of this discussion, also).

http://earlypalisutta.googlepages.com/1 ... 22piya.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guy

Post by Guy »

adosa wrote:IMHO, its about your defilements, nobody else's. It's a path but no one is starting from the same point. It goes on far beyond the five precepts and yet who would benefit more from Buddhism than someone who struggles to maintain even five precepts? Everyone is welcome as everyone is defiled. Keep plugging away. The only way to do it wrong is to give up. To not review one's blemishes.

http://www.yellowrobe.com/pali-canon/su ... ishes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

adosa
I agree, well said. :smile:
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
Individual

Post by Individual »

Guy wrote:
adosa wrote:IMHO, its about your defilements, nobody else's. It's a path but no one is starting from the same point. It goes on far beyond the five precepts and yet who would benefit more from Buddhism than someone who struggles to maintain even five precepts? Everyone is welcome as everyone is defiled. Keep plugging away. The only way to do it wrong is to give up. To not review one's blemishes.

http://www.yellowrobe.com/pali-canon/su ... ishes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

adosa
I agree, well said. :smile:
I'd say "problems" instead of "defilements". A defilement is something you step into, like a pile of mud. A problem is a something more abstract you have to deal with.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

Individual wrote:Am I doing it wrong?
Seeing the title of the thread, I thought you were going to ask about your own practice. But it turns out you just want to slag other people's practice. So, yes, I'd say you are doing it wrong.
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Individual

just try to relax and be your(non)self!

Seriously...
Maintain your precepts, your meditation, dana and some parityatti and let nature take its course.
And you'll do just fine!
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..