Hello from the North East (England)

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Ellis13

Hello from the North East (England)

Post by Ellis13 »

Hi,
I thought I would introduce myself after perusing this forum for the last couple of weeks.

I've really been intrigued by reading about buddhism over the last year or so and have implemented meditation into my daily life. I really hope to learn more in the future and believe this is the correct road to follow.

A bit about me: I'm 42, a single dad of two teenage daughters, I'm from Whitley Bay (NE England). I recently decided to take some time out of my career as a secondary school teacher and I hope to spend my time wisely to calm my mind and open my heart to my family and others around me. I guess i havent ever took too much time out since my wife passed away and like everyone I've had my fair share of hurdles to overcome.

So far I've limited my reading to more modern books on buddhism, written by western authors. I've just finished "A path with Heart" by Jack Kornfield. I would highly recommend this book, very warm and intriguing.

I'm really looking forward to using this forum and hopefully I can help contribute in the future.
Ellis :smile:
tiltbillings

Re: Hello from the North East (England)

Post by tiltbillings »

Welcome.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
seahorse

Post by seahorse »

Wahoo to Whitley Bay! Hello from Manchester, Ellis. This board is great - hope you enjoy it.
Death sweeps away those who spend their lives gathering flowers
- Dhammapada 47

The only true freedom is freedom from the heart's desires;
And the only true happiness this way lies...
- Matt Johnson, The The
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Ellis13 wrote: I'm from Whitley Bay (NE England)
Welcome Ellis, hinny !

I'm from Newcastle originally but I live in the south now.

with kind wishes

Aloka
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Welcome to DW!
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Welcome Aboard.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Sokehi

Post by Sokehi »

Welcom! :anjali:
Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

https://www.youtube.com/user/Repeataarrr
cooran

Post by cooran »

Welcome Ellis! :group:

with metta
Chris :group:
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

:hello:
:yingyang:
bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome Ellis!

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Ellis13

Post by Ellis13 »

Thankyou everyone for your warm welcomes. I look forward to using this forum and hopefully contributing aswell. :namaste: