Insight arising naturally in meditation?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Digity

Re: Insight arising naturally in meditation?

Post by Digity »

I'm noticing meditation and mindfulness are making me a much more calm person. As this calmness develops won't it eventually lead to deep concentration, which then leads to insight? Aren't those the steps?
Jerrod Lopes

Post by Jerrod Lopes »

Hello all,

I'm new here, but been meditating for some years now. I can only relate my experience, and hopefully it may be of some help. I'll start by saying i haven't had a regular meditation practice for some time. Consequently I know now just how vital it is to practice, subjectively speaking. Now for the BUT....but I know as well that the deepest insights I've ever had never came during a sitting session. As has been said, calm which promotes concentration comes from sitting in meditation. I found that the deepest insights came in a flash, like that of the famed zen satori. Before I even investigated Buddhism I had one of these experiences while thing a shower. I just decided to be grateful. Grateful for my home which I liked very much, the warm water, good soap, the money to afford such things and so on. BAM! I smiled and couldn't stop. I literally tried to stop and couldn't for the entire day so long as I was awake. Along with this came what I found to be pretty much inline with the Four Noble Truths. I should mention that I had been experimenting with self-hypnosis and square breathing techniques that I got out of a work colleague's book for a week or so before this. So now it's all together. Breathing and insight. Yet I think the gratitude and the calm abiding joy were a part of the whole, or a noticeable transition point between the three most noticeable stages. Breathing, stillness and joy, insight. Honestly I don't really read much on meditation techniques because I was fortunate enough to find what worked for me by chance (or vippaka ripening from somewhere).

So I see breath and meditation in the same sentence and get a little excited. It's only my experiences above. I'm sure the other stuff works too. I think it's mostly a matter of finding what works right for each person as we're all in a different frame of reference. My advice? Don't force anything and try everything until something works. Sorry. I'm a bit long winded sometimes. Best of luck and be well. :)
curious_buddhist

Post by curious_buddhist »

Hi everyone

Wow, thanks for sharing your advice and experiences on this topic. I really appreciate it. It has definitely cleared up much confusion concerning my own meditation practice.

:anjali:
Lord Buddha: Sariputta, do you believe this teaching
Sariputta: No, I don't yet believe it
Lord Buddha: Good, good, Sariputta. A wise person doesn't readily believe, he should consider first before believing