A separate forum for Philosophy?

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
Benjamin

A separate forum for Philosophy?

Post by Benjamin »

Dear fellow members,

After initially looking through the many forums here on Dhamma Wheel, I noticed there wasn't a separate forum for philosophical discussion. My reason for suggesting this is that the 'Open Dhamma' forum seems to be the closest fit, and it is defined as "An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation" specifically.

Seeing as the Open Dhamma section is already one of the most popular, i'd hate for it to get even harder to manage and moderate by putting these kind of discussions there as well, so maybe this could make for a new section and take some of the weight off of Open Dhamma?

Just a kind suggestion from a newbie!

Benjamin
:candle: :buddha1: :candle:
James the Giant

Re: A separate forum for Philosophy?

Post by James the Giant »

What kind of topics would go in there?
Can you give some examples of what you envisage? :anjali:
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

Dear James,

For example, in the Open Dhamma section I recently read a thread on the similarities of Buddhism and Stoicism. I have also in other forums read discussions on Nietzsche and Buddhism, to give another example. Really any thread that had a philosophical leaning more than a pragmatic one, I would imagine.

Though the majority of my time spent reading involves the Suttas or some type of commentary, I have also benefited greatly from reading the works of Heraclitus, Marcus Aurelius, and other philosophers. It was therefore my intention to suggest a section for philosophy that is either focused on a different tradition (e.g. Reductionism), or on comparitive thought (e.g. Similarities between Buddhism and Idealism). I imagine it would also have the added benefit of cleaning up the Open Dhamma section a bit, so that it may hold its focus on just Buddhist related discussion.

Thanks for your interest!

:anjali:
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Benjamin,
We tend to create new forums when there is evidence of a particular need. There is some discussion comparing Buddhist and western philosophies but there isn't so much that it warrants a separate forum at this stage. You are more than welcome to create threads in the Open Dhamma forum should you wish.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

Thanks Ben, just a suggestion.

Cheers :)
Ben

Post by Ben »

Benjamin wrote:Thanks Ben, just a suggestion.

Cheers :)
And it's a good one. We just don't have the demand for it at the moment.
Thank you for your suggestion Benjamin.
Kind regards,
Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..