Advance without a retreat

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
purple planet

Advance without a retreat

Post by purple planet »

Because of pains i get in my joints i cant go to a retreat

is it possible to make progress without constant effort ?

if i meditate 3 hours a day will i make progress - or is constant mindfulness the only way ?

i practice vipasana noting (Mahasi Sayadaw) with labeling is there a better technique which fits better with not going to retreats ?
LonesomeYogurt

Re: Advance without a retreat

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

Don't overdo it! Try maybe two sessions, one in the morning and one in the evening, each an hour long. Otherwise, maintain mindfulness in your daily life and practice the rest of the Eightfold Path earnestly; that's a surefire way to progress. Retreats are great but a consistent, energetic but compassionate daily practice is more important in the long run anyway.

Wish you the best!
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

purple planet wrote:Because of pains i get in my joints i cant go to a retreat
How come, why? I mean, why can't you go to a retreat? At a retreat you could sit in a chair, you could stand at the back if you can't sit, you could alternate sitting and standing, you could walk instead of sitting, or alternate walking/standing/sitting.
Or you could do any posture you liked in your own room at the retreat. Even lying down meditation works, as long as you find some way to avoid falling asleep.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi PP
purple planet wrote:Because of pains i get in my joints i cant go to a retreat
what about a self retreat; or seeking a stay at a place that would allow more meditation time? there are many ways to be able to do a retreat and I am sure you could self guide and alternate walking sitting standing and Lying down practice for a suitable duration!
if i meditate 3 hours a day will i make progress - or is constant mindfulness the only way ?
both are benefiscial, but you need to live why not one hour a day AM and one hour PM or another amount of time?
day to day practice is far harder that monastic or retreat practice but also very worthwhile. The Eightfold path is the Eightfold path for a reason FWIW.

i practice vipasana noting (Mahasi Sayadaw) with labeling is there a better technique which fits better with not going to retreats ?[/quote]
try just being mindful of daily activities? when a though comes up that is not an intentional act bring your mind back to what you are doing.

progress is possible with establishing the correct pattern, this doesn't need to be 100% at first but that is what the aim is.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

Ok i will explain more what i do - i now meditated for 50+50+50+50 walking sitting in the morning and 20.... in the evaning i dont see no improvment excpet the time - i did do this only for 1-2 days and the stop and do it again -

now while writing this i think my pelvic is killing me so i will go back to 20 - but for instance i dont think i can today to do more

i will try on a chair james

my main thing is this : i want to "see" results as anyone would but i also want to have faith in the practice - so i will feel good enough to teach my two grandparents before its to late - so i do have some urgancey in this - BUT even without this its hard for me to see progress - the only progress i had was being able to sit longer (50) but now that is gone also
LonesomeYogurt

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

Don't worry about time; especially with the Mahasi method, it's far more valuable to have twenty minutes of mindful practice than fifty minutes of painful, slow practice. Try setting a slightly challenging but sustainable goal, like thirty minutes walking and thirty minutes sitting twice a day, and stick to that. You don't need to be enlightened to teach your grandparents anything :)
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

purple planet wrote:Ok i will explain more what i do - i now meditated for 50+50+50+50 walking sitting in the morning and 20.... in the evaning i dont see no improvment excpet the time - i did do this only for 1-2 days and the stop and do it again -

now while writing this i think my pelvic is killing me so i will go back to 20 - but for instance i dont think i can today to do more

i will try on a chair james

my main thing is this : i want to "see" results as anyone would but i also want to have faith in the practice - so i will feel good enough to teach my two grandparents before its to late - so i do have some urgancey in this - BUT even without this its hard for me to see progress - the only progress i had was being able to sit longer (50) but now that is gone also
be consistent, stick to a duration you can keep to.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill