Happy Birthday Dhamma Wheel: four years of service

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
Ben

Happy Birthday Dhamma Wheel: four years of service

Post by Ben »

Greetings all,

Today marks the fourth anniversary of Dhamma Wheel's inception in late 2008. During that time we have connected with thousands of people from all over the world, the vast majority of them either Buddhist or with a genuine interest in the Theravada.
David N. Snyder wrote:There are several other Buddhist boards, but virtually all of the others are not this successful. And Theravada is in the minority, compared to other forms of Buddhism. Some numbers:

About 219,000 posts
Approx. 54,750 average per year
Approx. 150 average posts per day!

Alexa.com ranking around 200,000 to 350,000 (currently # 77,000 in the U.S.) probably in the top 10 of most visited Buddhist sites? If not the top 10, for sure in the top 100.
We still have the vast majority of the admin/mod team as well as our original members. I'd like to thank members of the ordained sangha for their presence and guidance. I believe that the health of a Buddhist discussion board can be determined by the presence of ordained sangha members. We have been blessed with many monastics joining our online community.

Thank you also for David for your generosity for providing Dhamma Wheel and the moderation team for their tireless and selfless service to the Dhamma and the Dhamma Wheel community. Their commitment and effort to be here as often as they do and applying the terms of service in a rational and consistent manner was the fertile ground in which a culture based on mutual respect and friendliness and an environment relatively free from spammers and trollish behaviour have been nurtured. Thank you also to our founding members and long standing "alumni" members who have been invaluable in providing advice and feedback.

As I have stated time and again, it is the membership that make Dhamma Wheel the place that it is.
Thank you for your contributions and companionship on the path.
I dedicate my merits to each and every one of you, for sharing this priceless gift of the Dhamma.
with metta,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
appicchato

Re: Happy Birthday Dhamma Wheel: four years of service

Post by appicchato »

Congratulations...and continued success friends...

:thumbsup:
Yana

Post by Yana »

Congratulations Dhamma Wheel :clap:
Life is preparing for Death
plwk

Post by plwk »

Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Thank-you Ben for all that you do!
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Alobha

Post by Alobha »

A big thanks to the admin team! Thanks David, Paul and Ben!
And thanks to all the Moderators, too :)
Thanks Robert, Thanks Cooran, Thanks Bodom, Thanks Mikenz, thanks Khalil Bodhi and thanks Dhammanando.

I'm also grateful for all the nuns and monks who offer their wisdom in this place. Sadhu! :anjali:

May this place continue to florish under the influence of all you noble companions :anjali:
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

I was thinking about this the other day. Dr. Snyder, the DW admins and moderator team have made a huge positive impact on Dhamma propagation. Strangers looking for a place to belong are made to feel welcome and the Dhamma is explored in depth. No question is out of bounds, no knowledge withheld. I believe this site is defining Dhamma propagation for the 21st century, keeping the Buddha's timeless teachings alive. This site helps thousands of people to connect and learn. Thinking about the scope of this site brings a tear to my eye!

I see a pyramid of merit:

Dr. Snyder.
The administrators.
The moderators.
The members.

I'm grateful to you all for this beacon of sanity and this sanctuary from the usual narcissism of the web. Most of all, thank you for keeping the Dhamma alive and relevant.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Alobha wrote:A big thanks to the admin team! Thanks David, Paul and Ben!
Thanks Robert, Thanks Cooran, Thanks Bodom, Thanks Mikenz, thanks Khalil Bodhi and thanks Dhammanando.

I'm also grateful for all the nuns and monks who offer their wisdom in this place. Sadhu! :anjali:

May this place continue to florish under the influence of all you noble companions :anjali:
+1

:bow:
Kim
bodom

Post by bodom »

Thank you David for the invaluable resource that Dhamma Wheel has become for me and thousands of others. It has been a pleasure to be a part of this growing community.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Ben wrote: As I have stated time and again, it is the membership that make Dhamma Wheel the place that it is.
Thank you for your contributions and companionship on the path.
:thumbsup:

If I tried to start a new cable tv channel and nobody watched, what would happen? It would get closed down in weeks, a few months at the most. (This is just an example, not something I am planning. :tongue: )

It is the members and Ben and the moderating staff that have made this a great success. Thanks everyone!

:group:
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Kim O'Hara wrote:
Alobha wrote:A big thanks to the admin team! Thanks David, Paul and Ben!

+1

:bow:
Kim
+2

Tiltbillings wasn't mentioned, but I'm sure he is included in this thank you. Thanks Tilt.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Don't forget our late moderator, jcsuperstar:
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=11361" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:candle:
Mike
SamKR

Post by SamKR »

May DhammaWheel forum live for a long time for the benefit of many.
:anjali:
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

Congratulations. Dhammawheel is my first stop for Dhamma questions. :bow: :clap:
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710