What is your favorite incense?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
MstChf

What is your favorite incense?

Post by MstChf »

Last edited by MstChf on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Annapurna

Re: What is your favorite incense?

Post by Annapurna »

My breath tends to stop when there is smoke and too much scent...but a touch of it is nice.

No idea which though, never buy any. I use ethereal orange oil only...
Ben

Post by Ben »

No incense.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
MstChf

Post by MstChf »

Apparently this is not a proper topic. Would an admin please delete this thread. My mistake.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

MstChf wrote:Apparently this is not a proper topic. Would an admin please delete this thread. My mistake.
The topic is fine. Some curmudgeonly types don't like incense, but there are those of us here that do appreciate a good incense. Having grown up Catholic before Vatican II incense was very part of religious experience. As a kid there was nothing more moving than a full Requiem High Mass in Latin with an adult choir singing plainsong (Gregorian chant) and the beautiful smelling incense just added to it all.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

I went to a Catholic Xmas Mass a couple times at the local cathedral, and thought the incense was most impressive.

I sometimes burn frankincense, nag champa, or sandalwood, but for occasional ambiance and not expressly as part of seated bhavana.

I sometimes burn pipe tobacco in a xmas gift.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Although I changed tradition from Tibetan Buddhism to Theravada, I still buy "Sun Rise" Tibetan Incense made in Nepal and burn a couple of sticks in my house every day... because it smells lovely !
yawares

Post by yawares »

MstChf wrote:....
I :heart: incense..especially when I was in a temple with my mom..incenses made the temple smell so nice/holy... it was a feeling I couldn't explain :anjali: Oh now I must be hallucinating because I smell temple incenses from this Buddha-incenses picture :anjali:

:heart: Buddha's verse #54 :The scent of flowers cannot go against the wind; nor the scent of sandalwood, nor of rhododendron (tagara), nor of jasmin (mallika*); only the reputation of good people can go against the wind. The reputation of the virtuous ones (sappurisa) is wafted abroad in all directions. :heart:

Nowaday I use variety of plug-in air fresheners...my favorite is Hawaiian flowers scent...I just mailed many of them to my daughter...she can't live without these plug-in airfresheners...and I'm so happy to make her top secret room smell real good :heart:

Love incense :heart:
yawares
plwk

Post by plwk »

Sandalwood, juniper, frankincense, green tea, agarwood, the Vajrayogini blend of incense and if Issey Miyake starts an incense venture, I would buy too :mrgreen:
Raitanator

Post by Raitanator »

Riwo Sangchö.
paul lennon

Post by paul lennon »

incense has several purposes....it helps clean the immediate environment from negative forces and make it possible for the person to practice meditation better....

i use frankincense....

it is used it tibetan monasteries to attract positive forces from the higher realms...