Greetings all.

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
UnderTheBodhi

Greetings all.

Post by UnderTheBodhi »

Hello, I do not want to be real lengthy, but I'd like to give a little back story to my joining. I was a severe alcoholic from about beginning to mid-October of this year until the 20th of this month. I had read a lot on withdrawals and was scared to quit as I read they could be life threatening, dangerous and intense. I would drink a 6 pack of beer, pass out, then wake up that night and drink 6 more. The cycle continued. Anyway, my last drink was on the 20th. The first night was hard...intense anxiety, cold chills and hot flashes, couldn't sleep, bad cravings, no appetite. The next morning, the 21st (the supposed doomsday, which I've now learned some believe was a shift in human consciousness. I didn't know this until the day after I began my journey.), I still felt bad, but I began to pick up my old Dhammapada I got a year or so ago that I had read little when I began to get a mild interest in Buddhism. I began to meditate, listen to meditation music, and read the Dhamma, as well as online Buddhist sources. The symptoms of withdrawal were supposed to last 7-10 days minimum. I am happy to say after continuing this regiment as well as eating/drinking very healthy, I feel totally fine. I've also received much revelation, comfort, and wisdom.

My “testimony” I suppose. Sorry for the long post.

Thank you for having me,

Dakota AKA “UnderTheBodhi”
cooran

Re: Greetings all.

Post by cooran »

Welcome UnderTheBodhi! Hope you gain strength from the Dhamma! :group:

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Welcome Dakota! Please be careful and gentle with yourself as you may not be quite out of the woods yet. You may want to hook up with an AA group or substance abuse counselor in your area.
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!
Hope you stay sober!
Still Searching

Post by Still Searching »

Welcome Dakota :smile:

I am sure you are not alone, many Buddhists have a different pasts and some have had troubled pasts.
I too used to drink, the last time I drunk alcohol was back around the beginning of this year, possibly around January till March or April, I had a small relapse in November, it was only a little but since then I've never touched a drop and promised myself to stay pure, but trust me, my background is probably far more worse than any of the other Buddhists who have had troubled pasts, I used to be selfish, vain, greedy, bad tempered, rebellious and did things that I still live everyday to regret, but it's never and I mean NEVER too late to make a change, you still have a chance to be the good soul you are.

Over the time I've been learning Buddhism, I have learned to love myself as well as others, I have learned to be more aware of my surroundings, more compassionate & warm hearted, more forgiveness & not self-centered.

This Christmas I gave a card & present to the Police & Ambulance service as well as my family & friends to show appreciation.

It's true when they say it only takes random acts of kindness to better yourself.

:namaste:
"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment." ~ Siddhārtha, Gautama Buddha
Ben

Post by Ben »

Greetings Dakota and welcome to Dhamma Wheel.
I hope we, as an online community, can give you some inspiration, 'noble' friendship and some support on your journey to wellbeing.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
UnderTheBodhi

Post by UnderTheBodhi »

Thank you all for the warm welcomes, support and and your wisdom! I hope to further my path toward enlightenment, love, and truth.

With love,
Dakota, “UnderTheBodhi”
Still Searching

Post by Still Searching »

Hope you do reach your goal, I too wish to seek enlightenment.
"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment." ~ Siddhārtha, Gautama Buddha
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Welcome Aboard!
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill