should i be practicing lucid dreaming?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
alan...

Re: should i be practicing lucid dreaming?

Post by alan... »

Cittasanto wrote:
alan... wrote:
Cittasanto wrote:you know it also means resting?
it isn't necessarily meaning sleeping.
what means resting?
relax
lol, i sounded like i don't speak english in that last post! what i meant was: "what do you mean by "it also means resting?""
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

alan... wrote:lol, i sounded like i don't speak english in that last post! what i meant was: "what do you mean by "it also means resting?""
I thought you were having a language freeze, but....

Words in pali can have a wide range of meaning when rendering them into english. and some words can mean two different but similar things depending upon the context (in english or pali)

If you look at the string of words in the satipatthana sutta it starts with three of the four postures and then has "sleep or awake" as the fourth. to me it suggests rest rather than sleep, or a light conscious rest (physical sleep yet the mind is awake), but not sleep which would have dreams. the second part (awake) would be more likely meditation in the lying down posture, or in a state where the rest of the description could happen (talking listening...).
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
alan...

Post by alan... »

Cittasanto wrote:
alan... wrote:lol, i sounded like i don't speak english in that last post! what i meant was: "what do you mean by "it also means resting?""

Words in pali can have a wide range of meaning when rendering them into english. and some words can mean two different but similar things depending upon the context (in english or pali)

If you look at the string of words in the satipatthana sutta it starts with three of the four postures and then has "sleep or awake" as the fourth. to me it suggests rest rather than sleep, or a light conscious rest (physical sleep yet the mind is awake), but not sleep which would have dreams. the second part (awake) would be more likely meditation in the lying down posture, or in a state where the rest of the description could happen (talking listening...).
oh yeah you're exactly right as far as i know. hence my question, lucid dreaming is not directly mentioned and it's more likely he only talked about what you're talking about, so i'm wondering if i should be working with dreams at all.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

alan... wrote:
Cittasanto wrote:

oh yeah you're exactly right as far as i know. hence my question, lucid dreaming is not directly mentioned and it's more likely he only talked about what you're talking about, so i'm wondering if i should be working with dreams at all.
are you firmly established in a waking practice?

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
alan...

Post by alan... »

Cittasanto wrote: are you firmly established in a waking practice?
yes. you said "...in a waking practice?" are there sleeping practices in theravada?
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

alan... wrote:
Cittasanto wrote: are you firmly established in a waking practice?
yes. you said "...in a waking practice?" are there sleeping practices in theravada?
not that I know of

John Stuart Mill
paul lennon

Post by paul lennon »

the main reason we dream during sleep is because we dream during the day....

we rarely are attentive to the moment....

as we progress in meditation the mind quiets down and the dreaming begins to cease....

eventually during sleep we begin to be conscious of the fact that our body is asleep but our mind is awake....

the word buddha means to be awake....

there are various names for the body we use during sleep....

it is basically the emotional body....it is a realm where our emotions...desire being the most powerful emotion.....reign...

but also other emotions....
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi Paul,
Could you finish those sentenses please, it is dificult to know what is being said with half the words missing.

John Stuart Mill