Advice

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
lyallben

Advice

Post by lyallben »

I'm going to Thailand in less than a few weeks.I intend to spend that time at monasteries hopefully doing some sitting.I use a chair for sitting-
I am reasonably independent re my sitting practice but it would be good to be able to ask some advice occasionally.
i don't want to practice in the Mahasi or Goenka styles.
Does anybody have any suggestions?
I know that there is a list of places where one can go in Thailand (on this website) but i wanted to know if someone who has been to a Monastery or retreat centre in Thailand can personally recommend a place?
Ben

Re: Advice

Post by Ben »

Greetings Lyallben,
I am just thinking that the most appropriate place for you to practice is where there is expertise in the particular approach you are using? Hence, if you are practicing Goenka, Mahasi, Ajahn Chah or Ajahn Naeb styles of practice then it might be most beneficial to attend wats or centres associated with those traditions. Does that make sense or have I got the wrong end of the stick...again?
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
lyallben

Post by lyallben »

My practice is the full body awareness anapana and metta - so I would prefer a place that is open to different methods.Or uses this method.
If I was in the States there are a number of Teachers who teach this style. Or accept students who use different types of anapana.
I know that monasteries in the Ajahn Cha tradition are happy for people to use a method that works for them.
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello lyallben,

Here are 17 meditation centres in Thailand, with a bit of information. From a search on Buddhanet.net:

http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/search.ph ... vince_id=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
lyallben wrote: i don't want to practice in the Mahasi or Goenka styles.
Does anybody have any suggestions?
When you have your eyes closed no one will know whether you're doing this style of meditation, that style of meditation, or thinking about ladies in bikinis.

Therefore, if you're comfortable that you do not need additional instruction, practice as you see fit.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
lyallben

Post by lyallben »

I don't feel its right being at a centre where they want you to do their technique and not doing it.
As for ladies in bikinis- have you developed siddhis?
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
lyallben wrote:I don't feel its right being at a centre where they want you to do their technique and not doing it.
Not to be cheeky, but I suspect anyone there will be pleased enough that you're actually meditating to care about the specifics of your meditation technique.
lyallben wrote:As for ladies in bikinis- have you developed siddhis?
Ha... maybe that's a good way to find out which of the resident bhikkhus have developed siddhis!

:popcorn:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."