What is embryo thinking?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SarathW

What is embryo thinking?

Post by SarathW »

The human in embryo stage (say first week) haven’t developed six senses. (at least five senses) The reference in regard to embryo in teaching is to say that “O’monk, Radiant is this consciousness “. What is the meaning of this statement by Buddha.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
DAWN

Re: What is embryo thinking?

Post by DAWN »

In my opinion, embryo thinking looks like : Pip.....pip......pip......
Some electric activity.
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

:o :)
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

As to your question, what's meant with "radiant consciousness", this here will surely cast some light on it:

Mind like fire unbound
Yana

Post by Yana »

SarathW wrote:The human in embryo stage (say first week) haven’t developed six senses. (at least five senses) The reference in regard to embryo in teaching is to say that “O’monk, Radiant is this consciousness “. What is the meaning of this statement by Buddha.
Hi Sarath W,

I am sorry but I am not sure what you are trying to ask.Please forgive me :anjali:

Do you want to know Radiant Consciousness means?Annapurna has given a link.

or

If it's possible for an embryo to" experience radiant consciousness" if the five senses haven't been developed yet..?

i think they should.I mean consciousness is the one being relinked when rebirth takes place (relinking consciousness).. but "thinking" falls under perception and that's okay because it's all part of the mind which i think is present, soo i think embryo's can think..maybe even before they become an embryo.. about what they wanna become (becoming) hehe don't know:tongue:

:anjali:
Life is preparing for Death
equilibrium

Post by equilibrium »

SarathW wrote:The human in embryo stage (say first week) haven’t developed six senses. (at least five senses) The reference in regard to embryo in teaching is to say that “O’monk, Radiant is this consciousness “. What is the meaning of this statement by Buddha.
Does consciousness depend on the five senses?....can consciousness not exist alone?.....is it not possible that consciousness already exist but as we are not ready (as per the example above) that we are not aware of it?

Do spirits and ghost have consciousness yet they have no senses?
When one dies and gets cremated by the fire, does one "feel" the heat and pain, the brain is still there.....is there consciousness?
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

equilibrium wrote:Does consciousness depend on the five senses?..
each kind of consciousness depends on the particular sense-base... see MN18
MN18 wrote:Madhupindika Sutta: Dependent on eye & forms, eye-consciousness arises [similarly with the rest of the six senses]...
equilibrium wrote:..can consciousness not exist alone?
nope...

best wishes, acinteyyo
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
beeblebrox

Post by beeblebrox »

equilibrium wrote:....can consciousness not exist alone?.....is it not possible that consciousness already exist but as we are not ready (as per the example above) that we are not aware of it?
If there is such a consciousness, what would it be conscious of?

If everything... then that means it's dependent. (I.e., not alone.)
If nothing... then I don't think that could be called a consciousness. (Why use the word for such a thing?)
If just a certain thing... that still means it's dependent.
If there is a consciousness, then that means there is at least a contact with something, according to the dependent origination. It's just that they don't have a form... at least not in the concrete sense that we know.

Last edited by beeblebrox on Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

equilibrium wrote:
Does consciousness depend on the five senses?....can consciousness not exist alone?.....is it not possible that consciousness already exist but as we are not ready (as per the example above) that we are not aware of it?

When one dies and gets cremated by the fire, does one "feel" the heat and pain, the brain is still there.....is there consciousness?
DN 14 (M. Walshe)
The Great discourse on the Lineage:

And then the Bodhisatta Vipassi thought: "With what being present, does consciosness occur. What conditions consciousness?" And then, as result of wisdom born of profound concideration, the realisation dawned on him: "Mind-and-body (namarupa) conditions consciousness"
Mind-and-body conditions consciosness and consciousness conditions mind-and-body, mind-and-body conditions the six sense-bases, the six sense-bases-condition contact, contact conditions feeling, feeling conditions craving, craving conditions clinging, clinging conditions becoming, becoming conditions birth, birth conditions ageing and death, sorrow, lamenation, pain, grief and distress.

From this declaration we can see that consciousness is conditioned by namarupa, and embryo is namarupa.
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Thanks all. My queston is whether embryo can think.

For further information please refer to page 329 of the link below.
I hope this clarify my question. Can you further clarify the follwoing comments in this page

http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/buddh ... gsurw6.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This rebirth-consciousness is regarded as pure as it is either devoid of immoral roots of lust, hatred, and delusion accompanied by moral roots.

. “Radiant is this consciousness,” (pabhassaram idam cittam) says the Buddha in
the Anguttara Nikāya vol. 1, p. 10. According to the commentator the Buddha
was thus referring to the rebirth-consciousness
Yana

Post by Yana »

SarathW wrote:Thanks all. My queston is whether embryo can think.

I hope this clarify my question. Can you further clarify the follwoing comments in this page

http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/buddh ... gsurw6.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This rebirth-consciousness is regarded as pure as it is either devoid of immoral roots of lust, hatred, and delusion accompanied by moral roots.

“Radiant is this consciousness,” (pabhassaram idam cittam) says the Buddha in
Hi Sarath W,

hmm...just read page 329..so my question is If the Rebirth Consciousness is Pure than why would it cling to rebirth right?

I mean if it were free from greed,aversion and delusion.."?"
I mean if rebirth consciousness is free from greed.hatred,and delusion than is it Nibbanna..?
Do we momentarily enter this state before rebirth takes place???hmm..

Also I think the reason why we still experience rebirth despite of the rebirth consciousness being pure might be because of The Mind.Consciousness is just one part of the Mind there's still Kamma or Volition which is i think under Fabrications and it's not Consciousness soo..maybe that's why we still get reborn despite having a "pure rebirth consciousness".

sorry Am i making any sense.. :tongue:

And yes i absolutely think Embryo's can think most people just can't remember it.I bet you we'd be thinking of "becoming" I want to be this and that or maybe remember some images from a previous life.A lot of "willing" going on at the pre-embryo stage.And the sensation of sleeping and waking up from sleep sleeping and waking up from sleep.Awareness.Ofcourse i have no proof.ahaha. :tongue: :stirthepot:

Life is preparing for Death
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

In my opinion, all living form have clingning to life. :roll:
All mouvement, all activity is rooted on clingning to something (life is the first thing, i think :spy: )
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Hi Yana
You definitely make sense to me. The very reason I ask this question was to clarify this matter. Are we all missing something very important? Ven. Narada is a pioneer in Buddhist teaching and it is hard to imagine that he will make such a grave mistake.
Should we direct this question to someone is more familiar with Sutra? Any suggestion?
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Does an embryo have a brain?

If not, what it is supposed to be thinking with...?

Think about this, then you have your answer right there.

Also, the Buddha said we should not think about kamma and rebirth so much that we begin to ponder why we are reborn here or there and so forth.

Hope that helps...
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

That's odd. I checked out the Commentary to this and it says -
Navame pabhassaranti paṇḍaraṃ parisuddhaṃ. Cittanti bhavaṅgacittaṃ.
It refers to the bhavaṅgacitta, not the paṭisandhicitta.

Anywhere, you might like to re-direct your line of questioning to the Abhidhamma section, if you wish to explore Ven Narada's ideas.