Hello from Virginia

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
fearandloving

Hello from Virginia

Post by fearandloving »

Hello to all! My name is Mathew, and in looking through some of the topics being discussed here I'm thrilled about looking through them more, and in having the ability to ask questions pertaining to modern day situations that I may not be able to find relevant answers to in texts. I have been practicing Buddhism for almost 4 years, with my initial interest mainly being in Tibetan Buddhism. What began to change my persuasion was being gifted a plane ticket out to California to spend ten days at Wat Metta. And, wow. I have since read and listened to so much of Thanissaro Bhikku's wisdom and it has changed my life more than any amount of mantras or visualizing deitys ever did. I must admit I do still hold a fascination for Tibetan traditions, and I attend a chanting class every so often. Anyways, I suppose they both have their value. I've just left a very intense 2 year relationship which kept me distracted and distraught, very often to the point of apathy, and now I hope to begin again my devotion to Dharma with a renewed zeal!
Anyone else on the East Coast?

With Metta,
Mathewvv :buddha2:
Ben

Re: Hello from Virginia

Post by Ben »

Hi Matthew,
Welcome to Dhamma Wheel! I hope you find here some inspiration and noble companionship.
And to answer your question - I am near the east coast.
That is - near the east coast of Tasmania!
More seriously, you'll find that a number of our members live on the Atlantic seaboard of the US.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Mathew,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha1:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

:hello:
Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!
:anjali:
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello Matthew,

Welcome to DhammaWheel :group:

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
ricebowl

Post by ricebowl »

Hellow Matthew

I am new here too, a warm welcome to you, and hello to everybody :namaste: