RIP, Jacintha Saldana

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Annapurna

RIP, Jacintha Saldana

Post by Annapurna »

This is so sad...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... prank.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pilgrim

Re: RIP, Jacintha Saldana

Post by pilgrim »

Before the tragedy, most people thought it was funny. Unfortunately, the world will continue to think that frivolous talk is entertainment.
plwk

Post by plwk »

Anicca, dukkha, anatta :candle:
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

pilgrim wrote:Before the tragedy, most people thought it was funny. Unfortunately, the world will continue to think that frivolous talk is entertainment.
Did you..? I guess not. Neither did I. I felt very sorry for the nurse, thinking of the consequences she might suffer.

I thought she might get scolded by the hospital, she might get mocked for her naivity, and she might get laughed at and harrassed by the press and media.

I put myself into her shoes:

I's think: "My gosh, it's the QUEEN! I be extremely respectful and friendly and obliging, -so, how can I tell her: "I can't tell you how Kate is, I am not authorized!".

...what if you are simple girl, with no academic raffinesse, without a cunning mind that thinks of intrigues and pranks....what if you just want to help the suffering and see a lot of it....pranks are far from your mind in a hospital, at least for me, when I worked there.

I just think it's sooo sad when people throw away their life because of such a silly thing.

I am thin skinned, because I attended a funeral a few days where a former friend killed himself too, leaving his family devastated.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Sorry for the missing words, and can't add them, so I hope you understand what I meant.
Yana

Post by Yana »

I hope that wherever she is she will be happy :candle: :anjali:
Life is preparing for Death
Ben

Post by Ben »

I read in the paper this morning that the 'prank' was given the ok by the radio station's lawyers before it was aired.
Its really awful and a disgrace and indicative of the complete lack of morals or sensitivity of radio presenters in this country.
We seem to have some real noteworthy specimens from the shallow end of the gene pool on the radio in Australia.
And what will the radio station do? Make an announcement that the presenters will be off the air, then some weeks or months later quietly reinstate them.
Meanwhile, the radio station capitalizes on the increase in audience share as a result of the controversy.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

First let me say that the death by (suposed) suicide is indeed unfortunate. I wish her a good rebirth and to those who stay, a fast recovery for their personal tragedy.

However, I can't understand those who feel outraged by this prank. It's all that was: a prank. And no one in the world could predict this outcome. So saying things like "You have blood in your hands" is ridiculous. No one is to blame for a death in this situation.

Furthermore, I find the article disgustingly biased. It crucifies those who made the prank and those who work in the station as just a bit less than murderers. And the situation where the teenager says she was raped was totaly taken advantage of, by this news site. They later explain that imediatly after she said she was raped they stoped the whole thing. I find this type of journalism more outrageous than a prank done by a couple of guys who just wanted to get a laugh and get away with an innocent hoax.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
Ben

Post by Ben »

Greetings MP,

You need to appreciate the context in which this incident occured.
Its one of perceived immunity from any kind of accountability.
Google Kyle Sandilands and Alan Jones.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

I guess a lesson we can learn from this is that we really should try and be vigilant. The outcome of the prank couldn't be predicted but it is now something that the two broadcasters have to live with and except a degree of responsibility for.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Mr Man wrote:I guess a lesson we can learn from this is that we really should try and be vigilant. The outcome of the prank couldn't be predicted but it is now something that the two broadcasters have to live with and except a degree of responsibility for.
The hoax was thoughtless, pointless and potentially dangerous and offensive. The pranksters' employers also bear some responsibility.

The nurse was (at least) not as cautious as she should have been, copped more blame for it than she deserved, and has paid a greater price than she should have.
Her employers bear far greater responsibility than the radio station but have not - to my knowledge - been called to account for it. Every hospital in our (Aussie) system has strong rules on patient confidentiality and I assume the same is true in the UK, and it is the hospital's responsibility - to the patients and their families - to have training and protocols in place which prevent this kind of unauthorised release of information even when a staff member is liable to make a poor judgement call. Maybe especially then.

:namaste:
Kim
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Kim O'Hara wrote: Her employers bear far greater responsibility than the radio station
I don't agree. Perhaps the hospital needs to review it's internal procedures but in my opinion the hospital was also a victim.
seahorse

Post by seahorse »

I have held the nurse and her family close in my thoughts today. The depth of suffering Jacintha must have experienced to end her life must have been horrendous.

I also read that the two presenters have been shattered by events, and been referred to a counsellor. So whilst I can see it was they who handled the actual delivery of a cruel and unnecessary prank, they themselves have also been badly burned by it. A few years ago I would have condemned them for the part they played, but now I am of the opinion that I should cultivate compassion for them, as they have experienced the suffering so inate in this world.

For me this is a clear example of how we must closely guard our speech and actions. Unless it is kind and true, do not say or do it - I believe a wise one said.

In the UK there is much discussion around the ethics of the media and this is a timely example of much of the debate.

Everyone is a victim in this. When unskilful actions occur, we all lose.

Just my two penneth.
Death sweeps away those who spend their lives gathering flowers
- Dhammapada 47

The only true freedom is freedom from the heart's desires;
And the only true happiness this way lies...
- Matt Johnson, The The
manas

Post by manas »

Ben wrote:I read in the paper this morning that the 'prank' was given the ok by the radio station's lawyers before it was aired.
Its really awful and a disgrace and indicative of the complete lack of morals or sensitivity of radio presenters in this country.
We seem to have some real noteworthy specimens from the shallow end of the gene pool on the radio in Australia.
And what will the radio station do? Make an announcement that the presenters will be off the air, then some weeks or months later quietly reinstate them.
Meanwhile, the radio station capitalizes on the increase in audience share as a result of the controversy.
Ben, I completely agree with what you say, and as I again recollect all this, I am having to be mindful of a tense and sick feeling in my gut. But, I need to take a deep breath and remember that this is all the turning of the wheel of kamma...every thought, spoken word and action will have a consequence in the future. In this way, the thoughtlessness, lack of sensitivity and even callousness of how all this unfolded, hopefully won't lead to anger towards the perpretrators (on whichever level) - because I must admit, that was my initial reaction. How I wish that more people actually cared about others, yes even just an ordinary stranger on the other side of the world, and considered how their words might affect them, before going ahead and saying them. That ordinary stranger was a wife and mother - now missed and grieved for deeply by her family. May Jacintha Saldana's good actions throughout her life now protect her as she journeys on.

:candle:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Following teachings of the Buddha came to mind:

1. Right speech.

A prank is a lie. Do you agree? It's not the truth!
You pretend something that is not true, and try to fool someone for amusement.

I am sure the Buddha would have heartily disagreed with this prank.

2. Intention: ...that's interesting.

Obviously, they did not intend this. So, in a way, they can't be blamed for Jacintha's suicide, but well for all that led to it.

The Buddha discouraged all sorts of entertainment issues...and that's their biz.

It can bring joy to the ill, if it's all done nicely, but, due to the worldwide press, Jacintha felt utterly shamed, humiliated and like she had lost her face forever, and this is really true.

Until the end of her life, she would have gotten confronted with it.

Then, nurses have a very hard job and need to feel a lot of devotion to hold out this hard work.

Lots of people in nursing jobs suffer from burn-out syndrome sooner or later.

Jacintha was 46, not so young anymore.

On some photos where she looked older, I saw dangerous signs of depletion of her "Chi", life energy, alarmingly so, ...google her and look at the darkness around her eyes, the dark brown shadows.

That's a sign of Chi or Agni depletion.

It's one possible explanation why she took his life, after a thing that many would have shrugged off, after a while of feeling stressed.

But when you have exploited your body for too long, small things can tip a boat over...expecvially when people are very conscientious.

Truly tragic...

PS: I agree with Ben (not only ) in this:

We have mass media reporters (here too), who take things too lightly.

They don't seem to know when fun was had or is going way too far.

And, the legal bureau is OF COURSE more guilty than these young, immature mods, whose trademark it might have be to entertain people with silly stuff!

The lawyers failed to foresee some stuff, which CAN be foreseen!

It was PREDICTABLE, that someone might get into mighty trouble, if fooled!