Kamma and Anicca

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
Ceisiwr

Kamma and Anicca

Post by Ceisiwr »

Greetings

In the Classical Theravada, as far as i understand, beings get born into realms and then pass away according to kamma. They also have sickness as a result of kamma (as well as ageing?) so my question is this

Is kamma the cause of anicca?

Or is it Ignorance (which leads on through D.O.)?

Metta
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Mawkish1983

Re: Kamma and Anicca

Post by Mawkish1983 »

I'm certainly no expert but I wouldn't say kamma is the cause of anicca per se. Anicca, dukkha and anatta are just how things are, irrespective of volition.

I might, of course, be wrong :)
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

clw_uk wrote:Greetings

In the Classical Theravada, as far as i understand, beings get born into realms and then pass away according to kamma. They also have sickness as a result of kamma (as well as ageing?) so my question is this
According to the suttas sickness might be the result of kamma, but it might not be. Everything that happens to us is not always kamma.
No.
No.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Mawkish1983 wrote:I'm certainly no expert but I wouldn't say kamma is the cause of anicca per se. Anicca, dukkha and anatta are just how things are, irrespective of volition.

I might, of course, be wrong :)

So we all might be, but you certainly are not.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Thanks both :)
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Where are these ideas coming from?

appicchato

Post by appicchato »

clw_uk wrote:...a result of kamma (as well as ageing?)...
Irrespective of the volitional actions we choose to make in life...skillful, unskillful, or otherwise...we're still going to age...
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

appicchato wrote:...we're still going to age...
Such is the nature of the marks of existence/dhamma seals.

I was recently asked 'why is there suffering?'. I explained about tanha and the four noble truthes, but that wasn't what the questionner was asking. They wanted to know why suffering as an objective concept should exist at all (they were Christians and so had their own theories about a god punishing for original sin etc, which still avoids the question as far as I can tell but I didn't fancy going into theology with this asker). In the end, when asked 'why is there suffering' I had to answer, 'there just is' (first noble truth). I explained that the reason isn't important, the erradication of suffering is the important bit but they couldn't accept that.

Anyway, just thought I'd share :)
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

tiltbillings wrote:

Where are these ideas coming from?

I was listening to a talk by Ven. Munindo that went into discussion on rebirth as a deva etc and it got me thinking how in that cosmology kamma seems to drive change through passing away and being reborn so I posted here to see if that is the cause but on reflection i can see how other factors come into play there

metta
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

Mawkish1983 wrote:I was recently asked 'why is there suffering?'. I explained about tanha and the four noble truthes, but that wasn't what the questionner was asking. They wanted to know why suffering as an objective concept should exist at all
One might as well ask why color or temperature or smell exist at all. There is no why other than the answer you already gave: craving. Suffering exists because of craving. If there was no craving then there would be no suffering. Period.

I agree that answering "why does X concept exist?" with "because G-d wills it to be so" is really no answer at all since the obvious follow up question ("why does G-d exist") doesn't ever get answered.
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.