We know about the Dhamma because of the suttas.

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
daverupa

Re: We know about the Dhamma because of the suttas.

Post by daverupa »

porpoise wrote:
Ñāṇa wrote:
porpoise wrote:OK, but methods and practice are only one part of what is contained within the suttas.
Yes. And?...
How do we assess the validity of all the other stuff?
If we've already bracketed methods and practice, what does the rest matter?

And how does one assess the 'validity' of religious literature?
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Nyana

Post by Nyana »

porpoise wrote:How do we assess the validity of all the other stuff?
I don't know how you assess it, but I consider the teachings on anatta to be definitive and everything else to be provisional.

However, just because I consider something to be provisional doesn't mean I think it should be dismissed or rejected. Without the provisional, fabricated path there is no way to realize the unfabricated goal.
Doshin

Post by Doshin »

porpoise wrote:
Ñāṇa wrote:
porpoise wrote:OK, but methods and practice are only one part of what is contained within the suttas.
Yes. And?...
How do we assess the validity of all the other stuff?
The same way we assess the validity of "the stuff" ?

In my opinion, we shouldn't take anything as valid, just because of its (possible) source, or the possibility of it being a certain source. We have to take "the stuff" evaluate it ourselves and make our own judgement about it. Our judgement isn't a universal truth, so what we find to be truth, might not be found as truth to others.

Taking refuge, is a commitment into exploring the Dhamma and assess its validity for ourself; not blindly taking it as to be truth.

Isn't it much more interesting if (subjects of) the Dhamma is true, rather then the possibility of its assumed origin ?
Knowing about dhamma, does not imply knowing dhamma
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

tiltbillings wrote:
danieLion wrote: But such and understanding is impossible without a basic agreement as to which parts are authentic and which parts are not.
That is a dense thicket to traverse.
And for the scholars to traverse, not me. I'll read along, listen and occasionally interject or pose a question; beyond that I assume it's a personal matter of saddhā, dhamma-vicaya, samvega and pasada.
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

Doshin wrote:...we shouldn't take anything as valid...
This goes too far the other way (from scepticism/doubt). I take it as valid that the Buddha existed. I take it as valid that he said some of the most important things ever uttered. I take it for valid that those around him were so impressed (or annoyed) by the things he said (and did) that attempts to record his sayings and doings became inevitable. I take it for valid that great care was taken to retain their "originalness". I take it for valid that mistakes were made in these redactions, but that they were probably rare. I take it for valid that the redactors were usually but not always above the influence of politicians, culture and folk religion.

Etc....
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

danieLion wrote:
This goes too far the other way (from scepticism/doubt).
danieLion you need to take Doshin's whole sentence including "just because of its (possible) source, or the possibility of it being a certain source". What gives validity is it's results not where it comes from.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Ñāṇa wrote:However, just because I consider something to be provisional doesn't mean I think it should be dismissed or rejected. Without the provisional, fabricated path there is no way to realize the unfabricated goal.
Good point.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

daverupa wrote:If we've already bracketed methods and practice, what does the rest matter?
So are you suggesting that we just work with the methods and practices bits, and leave all the other stuff to one side?
Buddha save me from new-agers!
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

Mr Man wrote:
danieLion wrote:
This goes too far the other way (from scepticism/doubt).
danieLion you need to take Doshin's whole sentence including "just because of its (possible) source, or the possibility of it being a certain source". What gives validity is it's results not where it comes from.
Perhaps. But it's also true that what gives it results is where it comes from.
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

porpoise wrote:
daverupa wrote:If we've already bracketed methods and practice, what does the rest matter?
So are you suggesting that we just work with the methods and practices bits, and leave all the other stuff to one side?
Well, why not?
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]