Raw Diet?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.

Have you tried Raw diet?

I'm already eating raw foods.
14%
Once, I might try it again.
10%
Once, I'm not interested.
5%
I'll try it.
12%
I'm not interested.
60%

Total votes: 42

Magoo

Re: Raw Diet?

Post by Magoo »

DAWN wrote:DN 1
Brahmajāla Sutta: The All-embracing Net of Views

10. "Or he might say: 'The recluse Gotama abstains from damaging seed and plant life. He eats only in one part of the day, refraining from food at night and from eating at improper times. He abstains from dancing, singing, instrumental music, and witnessing unsuitable shows. He abstains from wearing garlands, embellishing himself with scents, and beautifying himself with unguents. He abstains from accepting gold and silver. He abstains from accepting uncooked grain, raw meat, women and girls, male and female slaves, goats and sheep, fowl and swine, elephants, cattle, horses and mares. He abstains from accepting fields and lands. He abstains from running messages and errands. He abstains from buying and selling, and from dealing with false weights, false metals, and false measures. He abstains from the crooked ways of bribery, deception, and fraud. He abstains from mutilating, executing, imprisoning, robbery, plunder, and violence.'
With all due respect Dawn, I follow the Buddha for Spritual Guidance but not nutritional advice. Just my view. :sage:

With Metta
Eamonn
Digity

Post by Digity »

Not interested. I enjoy cooking, so no thanks. Besides, I don't see what the issue is with cooked food. If anything, it makes the nutritional value of some foods better. For instance, cooked eggs are better than raw for digestibility.
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Magoo wrote:With all due respect Dawn, I follow the Buddha for Spritual Guidance but not nutritional advice. Just my view. :sage:

With Metta
Eamonn
It's true :)
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
Ben

Post by Ben »

Does anyone eat raw meat and fish?

I love raw tuna, and I sometimes make a salmon ceviche where the raw salmon pieces stands in citric (lemon or lime juice) for ten minutes before it is consumed. I like it dressed with Thai flavours.

I also like to eat some cuts of beef very lightly seared on both sides and raw in the middle, such as carpaccio.
A few years ago, the Paleo-diet began to grow in popularity. Are there any adherents here of that diet?
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Ben wrote:Does anyone eat raw meat and fish?

I love raw tuna, and I sometimes make a salmon ceviche where the raw salmon pieces stands in citric (lemon or lime juice) for ten minutes before it is consumed. I like it dressed with Thai flavours.

I also like to eat some cuts of beef very lightly seared on both sides and raw in the middle, such as carpaccio.
A few years ago, the Paleo-diet began to grow in popularity. Are there any adherents here of that diet?
kind regards,

Ben
There is many kind of raw meat in french kitchen
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

Since April I've experimented with raw food and vegetarianism (plus eggs). Even though I take lots of B-12 supplements, my B12 levels are low... So I've changed my mind and eventually will have to eat some B12 containing meats. I also crave crave chicken... Unfortunately since I've just finished 21 day fast, it will be a while before my stomach will be able to handle solid food.
alan

Post by alan »

If you had listened to my advice, you'd not suffer from the idiotic idea of a raw diet.

Hi Ben. Paleo works for me.
Ben

Post by Ben »

alan wrote:Hi Ben. Paleo works for me.
That's great to hear, Alan. I don't think my digestive tract could handle it.
I'm on a nearly vegetarian high-protein diet at the moment. Making friends with brown rice and beans all over again with the usual vegetable suspects for my one substantive meal of the day and my other meals are whey & skim milk protein 'shakes'.
When I go home on the weekend my most substantive meal is one with chicken, beef or salmon - and its now the only time I eat non-vegetarian fare.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

alan

Post by alan »

From what you say, I don't get why your digestive tract would oppose.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Alan,
I guess its years of cooked processed grains, cooked vegetables and a diet rich of other dainty morsels.
I think my small intestine would get such a shock it would rise up through my oesophagus and strangle me as a desperate act of self defence!
Seriously though, I am making some significant changes to my diet. Not quite a raw diet but closer to vegetarianism and overtones of the macrobiotics I embraced nearly 30 years ago.
kind regards,

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

alan

Post by alan »

Maybe I misunderstood what you mean by Paleo. What does it mean to you?
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Alan,
What I understand as paleo is raw food inc. raw red meat.
kind regards,

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

alan

Post by alan »

Sorry, I took it to be a diet that is based upon evolutionary biology. Must have confused it with other diets claiming "paleo" in their name.
Ben

Post by Ben »

My understanding could be at error, Alan.
I don't know a whole lot about it and its mostly formed on mis/information in the popular media.

- Sutta Nipata 3.725