Bhikkhu Bodhi Open Source?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Christopherxx

Bhikkhu Bodhi Open Source?

Post by Christopherxx »

Hi gals and guys!

I noted on google books that "In the Buddhas Words" by Bhikkhu Bodhi seemed to be put up in full version.

I find google books on my computer to be a pretty hard to use platform when reading. Does anyone know of a open source pdf or other format of the whole book?

And in side note thanks Venerable Bhikkhu Bodhi for your wonderful works and use of your precious time in helping the greater buddhist community.

Edit: Beyond Mindfulness in Plain English: An Introductory guide to Deeper States of Meditation by Bhante Henepola Gunaratana would be awesome too but I don't know if this is open source.

^^ Thanks to him too for such a reference!
James the Giant

Re: Bhikkhu Bodhi Open Source?

Post by James the Giant »

Christopherxx wrote: I noted on google books that "In the Buddhas Words" by Bhikkhu Bodhi seemed to be put up in full version.
No, there are 130 pages missing from the Google Books version.
Does anyone know of a open source pdf or other format of the whole book?
Somebody may have bought the book and stripped the DRM from it, but then it becomes illegal. There's an interesting thread on copyright and the dhamma here on DhammaWheel.
Also, MikeNZ and friends are compiling an open source version of the book, which could be useful for you...

But it's only $9 (nine dollars!) plus $4 shipping if you'd like a real copy. And the e-version doesn't even need shipping, so it's $8.99.

Cheers from James.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
Christopherxx

Post by Christopherxx »

Thanks James I just noticed that too as I was scrolling through it.

Also additional thanks for pointing me in the direction of the member contribution. I had saw that post earlier and had made a note of it.

Your friend.

Open source is definitely an interesting topic. I think it in itself can lead to a much better world by changing the economic landscape. Yet at the same time I think force and compulsion are worrisome trends in the initiative.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi James,
James the Giant wrote: ...
Also, MikeNZ and friends are compiling an open source version of the book, which could be useful for you...

But it's only $9 (nine dollars!) plus $4 shipping if you'd like a real copy. And the e-version doesn't even need shipping, so it's $8.99..
I agree. That book is incredible value, and I don't see any excuse for someone with any interest in Theravada Buddhism and any spare cash not to own it... :spy:

My "open source" title was perhaps misleading.
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=14640" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In collecting together the links to the suttas that Bhikkhu Bodhi has suggested, I hoped to:
1. Make it easier to refer to examples of "what the Buddha said about X".
2. Make it easier to compare other translations to Bhikkhu Bodhi's, something he actually encourages in his Introduction, where he gives the address of Access to Insight.

What won't be open-sourced are Bhikkhu Bodhi's incredibly useful explanatory introductions to each chapter. You'll have to read the book for those... :reading:

:anjali:
Mike