Is it possible to 'leave' Nirvana?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
retrofuturist

Re: Is it possible to 'leave' Nirvana?

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Pascal,
pascal wrote:I'm not familiar with this scheme, do you have a link where it is explained? (I'm still in the n00b phase. :embarassed:)
Sure :)
The Ten Fetters (Sa.myojana)

There are ten 'Fetters'-samyojana-by which beings are bound to the wheel of existence. They are:

Self-Illusion (sakkaaya-di.t.thi)
Scepticism (vicikicchaa)
Attachment to mere Rule and Ritual (siilabbata-paraamaasa)
Sensual Lust (kaamaraaga)
Ill-Will (vyaapaada)
Craving for Fine-Material Existence (ruupa-raaga)
Craving for Immaterial Existence (aruupa-raaga)
Conceit (maana)
Restlessness (uddhacca)
Ignorance (avijjaa).
Source: http://www.budsas.org/ebud/word-of-buddha/wob4nt06.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AN 10.13 wrote:"There are these ten fetters. Which ten? Five lower fetters & five higher fetters. And which are the five lower fetters? Self-identity views, uncertainty, grasping at precepts & practices, sensual desire, & ill will. These are the five lower fetters. And which are the five higher fetters? Passion for form, passion for what is formless, conceit, restlessness, & ignorance. These are the five higher fetters. And these are the ten fetters."
MN 117 wrote:"In this community of monks there are monks who are arahants, whose mental effluents are ended, who have reached fulfillment, done the task, laid down the burden, attained the true goal, laid to waste the fetter of becoming, and who are released through right gnosis: such are the monks in this community of monks.

"In this community of monks there are monks who, with the wasting away of [the first] three fetters, and with the attenuation of passion, aversion, & delusion, are once-returners, who — on returning only once more to this world — will make an ending to stress: such are the monks in this community of monks.
See also: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/stud ... ml#fetters" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
pascal

Post by pascal »

equilibrium wrote:So what exactly is Buddha?.....define Buddha.
Er ... an awakened being? A being that has realized its Buddha-nature?
And the word "he's" (in red).....why is the word "he's" being used?.....Is Buddha a person?
From what I understand, I'd say conventionally yes, but non-conventionally (seen from the point of emptiness) no.

edit: Thanks for the links @ polarbuddha101 & retrofuturist. :)
dude

Post by dude »

pascal wrote:
dude wrote:If Nirvana is permanent, how can a Buddha appear in this world?
Good question. Perhaps he's still 'in Nibbana' (that is, free from greed, hatred and delusion), but yet in this world? Dunno ...

Otherwise, if Nibbana were not permanent, wouldn't this make his teachings obsolete?

"Good question. Perhaps he's still 'in Nibbana' (that is, free from greed, hatred and delusion), but yet in this world? Dunno ... "

VERY good answer.

" Otherwise, if Nibbana were not permanent, wouldn't this make his teachings obsolete?"

Very good follow up question too. Pondering further.
equilibrium

Post by equilibrium »

pascal wrote:
equilibrium wrote:So what exactly is Buddha?.....define Buddha.
Er ... an awakened being? A being that has realized its Buddha-nature?
So what is the difference between an awakened being and a non-awakened being?.....what part of the body gets awakened?.....is it the eyes? is it the brains? or is it something else?.....what exactly is it?.....what is it that "enters" Nirvana or meets it?
If an awakened being is a Buddha then is an arahart a buddha?.....is this correct?.....is it possible? or are they two very different?
Not exactly sure what Buddha-nature is.....can you define this?
And the word "he's" (in red).....why is the word "he's" being used?.....Is Buddha a person?
From what I understand, I'd say conventionally yes, but non-conventionally (seen from the point of emptiness) no.
So where should one be standing between these two?
Yana

Post by Yana »

Is it possible to 'leave' Nirvana?

hmm..Excellent Question!please leave your name and phone number..and i will get right back at you after... i....get....to....the....other....shooooorrrre... :hello: Hello, This is an enlightened being speaking..Congratulations!You have been granted Permanent Resident of The State of Nibbanna.I'm sorry to inform you that ALL Vacation Packages to Samsara are not available.But you will find your stay here will more than accommodate for all your losses.Exceeding all expectations.Thank you for calling.goodbye. :redherring:
:tongue: :hug:

Friend,The State of Nibbanna is irreversible. :smile:
Life is preparing for Death
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

It depend on what do you mean by 'leave'.
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Hi Pascal
Direct answer to your question is “No”

Please read following attachment from chapter 15. Most of your questions are answered.

”The Buddha and His Teachings” by Narada,

http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/buddh ... gsurw6.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”