50th Anniversary of Nanavira's sotapatti

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Rhino

50th Anniversary of Nanavira's sotapatti

Post by Rhino »

50 years ago (27.6.1959) the English Bhikkhu Nanavira Thera attained sotapatti (stream-winner):
NAMO TASSA BHAGAVATO ARAHATO SAMMĀSAMBUDDHASSA

—Ekam samayam Ñānavīro bhikkhu Būndalagāme viharati araññakutikāyam. Tena kho pana samayena Ñānavīro bhikkhu rattiyā pathamam yāmam cankamena āvaranīyehi dhammehi cittam parisodheti, yathāsutam yathāpariyattam dhammam cetasā anuvitakketi anuvicāreti manasānupekkhati. Atha kho Ñānavīrassa bhikkhuno evam yathāsutam yathāpariyattam dhammam cetasā anuvitakkayato anuvicārayato manasānupekkhato virajam vītamalam dhammacakkhum udapādi, Yam kiñci samudayadhammam sabbam tam nirodhadhammanti.
So dhammānusārī māsam hutvā ditthipatto hoti.
(27.6.1959)

'Atthi Kassapa maggo atthi patipadā yathā patipanno sāmam yeva ñassati sāmam dakkhīti, Samano va Gotamo kālavādī bhūtavādī atthavādī dhammavādī vinayavādīti.'

'Ditthivisūkāni upātivatto,
Patto niyāmam patiladdhamaggo,
Uppannañāno 'mhi anaññaneyyo
Eko care khaggavisānakappo'

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOMAGE TO THE AUSPICIOUS ONE, WORTHY, FULLY AWAKENED

—At one time the monk Ñānavīra was staying in a forest hut near Bundala village. It was during that time, as he was walking up and down in the first watch of the night, that the monk Ñānavīra made his mind quite pure of constraining things, and kept thinking and pondering and reflexively observing the Dhamma as he had heard and learnt it. Then, while the monk Ñānavīra was thus engaged in thinking and pondering and reflexively observing the Dhamma as he had heard and learnt it, the clear and stainless Eye of the Dhamma arose in him: 'Whatever has the nature of arising, all that has the nature of ceasing.'
Having been a teaching-follower for a month, he became one attained to right view.[1]
(27.6.1959)

There is, Kassapa, a path, there is a way by following which one will come to know and see for oneself: 'Indeed, the recluse Gotama speaks at the proper time, speaks on what is, speaks on the purpose, speaks on Dhamma, speaks on Vinaya.' [D. 8: i,165]

'I have gone beyond the writhings of view.
With the path gained I have arrived at assurance.
Knowledge has arisen in me and I am no longer to be guided by another.'
-- [Knowing this,] let him fare lonely as the unicorn! [Suttanipāta 3,21 (verse 55, page 9)]
More about Nanavira:
http://www.nanavira.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanavira_Thera
With best wishes

Only in a vertical view, straight down into the abyss of his own personal existence, is a man capable of apprehending the perilous insecurity of his situation; and only a man who does apprehend this is prepared to listen to the Buddha's Teaching.
Nanavira Thera - Notes on Dhamma
woini

Re: 50th Anniversary of Nanavira's sotapatti

Post by woini »

The venerable did self-inflicted euthanasia on himself, suffering from terminal illness.

Does Buddhism - Theravada condone euthanasia?

Can a sotapanna inflict or allow euthanasia?

I have heard conflicting opinions.
Dhamma Wheel on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=9 ... 623&ref=nf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

English Bhikkhu Nanavira Thera attained sotapatti (stream-winner):
Says who?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

tiltbillings wrote:
Says who?

I think he says so himself in one of his letters or books
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

clw_uk wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:
Says who?

I think he says so himself in one of his letters or books
Which likely puts him in violation of the Vinaya, but it is all too easy for one to assume that one's experiences are more than they are. It happens all the time. How was Nanvira's supposed attainment verified, by whom?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Which likely puts him in violation of the Vinaya, but it is all too easy for one to assume that one's experiences are more than they are. It happens all the time. How was Nanvira's supposed attainment verified, by whom?

:shrug:

How does it get verified by others anyway?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

You might want to actually learn about the tradition you are supposedly following.

Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

tiltbillings wrote:
You might want to actually learn about the tradition you are supposedly following.

Isnt learning an ongoing process? And how can i learn without asking questions?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

And how can i learn without asking questions?
Interesting, given that you have lectured us enough here about the naughtiness of rebirth, but since you are willing to ask question, I can only hope you are willing to listen.

Traditionally when a monastic thinks that they have attained a level or Ariya they go to elder monks who have experience to be "tested," to see if the claim of experience meets the criteria spelled out by the tradition. It is fairly simple and it helps to prevent the not unusual trip down the garden path that can likely follow from unusual meditative experiences. We have seen the results of that here.

Ultimately, however, if you are going to take Ven Sumedho seriously, stream entry is just one more thing of which to let go. As for Nanavira, he is an interesting character, but not a very good scholar.

Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

tiltbillings wrote:
And how can i learn without asking questions?
Interesting, given that you have lectured us enough here about the naughtiness of rebirth, but since you are willing to ask question, I can only hope you are willing to listen.

Traditionally when a monastic thinks that they have attained a level or Ariya they go to elder monks who have experience to be "tested," to see if the claim of experience meets the criteria spelled out by the tradition. It is fairly simple and it helps to prevent the not unusual trip down the garden path that can likely follow from unusual meditative experiences. We have seen the results of that here.

Ultimately, however, if you are going to take Ven Sumedho seriously, stream entry is just one more thing of which to let go. As for Nanavira, he is an interesting character, but not a very good scholar.

Thank you Tilt :smile:

Metta
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

"Do not be a bodhisattva, do not be an arahant, do not be anything at all. If you are a bodhisattva, you will suffer, if you are an arahant, you will suffer, if you are anything at all, you will suffer."

--Ajahn Chah

:anjali:
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

:goodpost:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
woini wrote:The venerable did self-inflicted euthanasia on himself, suffering from terminal illness.

There is a Sutta (MN144) about the bhikkhu Channo who committed suicide. The Buddha said there are certain circumstances whether to commit suicide is a fault or not. Unfortunately I don't know exactly which circumstances but the Sutta helps to get an idea of it.
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

woini wrote:The venerable did self-inflicted euthanasia on himself, suffering from terminal illness.

Hi Woini,
Have a look at SN 35.87 (4) Channa. BB translation it would apear Channa was already an Arahant at this time, although I think the commentary says otherwise?
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

gavesako wrote:"Do not be a bodhisattva, do not be an arahant, do not be anything at all. If you are a bodhisattva, you will suffer, if you are an arahant, you will suffer, if you are anything at all, you will suffer."

--Ajahn Chah

:anjali:
:anjali: :bow: :anjali: :goodpost:

Nice pic BTW
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Rhino

Post by Rhino »

Hello,
Nanavira talked about it in some letters:
http://nanavira.xtreemhost.com/index.ph ... &Itemid=49
http://nanavira.xtreemhost.com/index.ph ... &Itemid=50
http://nanavira.xtreemhost.com/index.ph ... &Itemid=50
With best wishes

Only in a vertical view, straight down into the abyss of his own personal existence, is a man capable of apprehending the perilous insecurity of his situation; and only a man who does apprehend this is prepared to listen to the Buddha's Teaching.
Nanavira Thera - Notes on Dhamma